PO Soon: Cursive - Ugly Organ Deluxe Remastered 2LP

gmoney

I'm actually really stoked that there are no frills on this release. That photo makes it look like it'll be a pretty sweet bound book gatefold also, well worth the price in my opinion. 

Yeah, the book part is actually part of what turned me off to it though. :/

It's just one more thing to worry about as far as damage and it makes it take up more space.

I was kinda hoping for some tracks I had never heard before, or more of an insight into the making of The Ugly Organ. Maybe there's more in there that we haven't seen yet but for now I'm holding off. 

Edit: On the link to it, it does say Features booklet with photos from the band's archives, album art sketches, show posters, liner notes, and more. Includes 8 additional tracks from the era. 

So maybe. 

yea, i wasn't even going to weigh in here, but i bought on the spot.  saddle creek always produces reasonably priced, high-quality records.  i've never been let down.  plus the hand-written thank you notes are an excellent pleasantry.  2xLP with book, reimagined artwork, with the bonus of old EP tracks... $24 was easy.

We're really excited that this is finally happening. I've personally been looking at the layout of this--and what was going into it--for the last year.

I'm biased of course, but I think the $23 price is reasonable. It's a double 180-gram LP. The jacket is a tip-on gatefold, and the 15 page booklet is glued in. Similar to how the deluxe Mama, I'm Swollen was set up. The titles on front and back are in clear spot gloss UV. I'm looking at the print sample here and I think it's really cool.

We talked about colored vinyl, but ultimately the band wanted to go with black to match the new black cover art. The reason behind changing the cover art was to put the focus on the organ keys, the iconic part of the artwork. Just let that stand alone. I think it was a good choice.

Again, biased, but I think the extras in the booklet are really interesting. There's full size sketches that Tim did for the original cover design (multiple organ drawings), a large scan of an original mastering tape case with funny notes from Mike Mogis, large scans of three pages of Tim's original lyrics notebook for the album, a bunch of photos that haven't ever been shared before, full lyrics for the album and additional tracks, and the other stuff mentioned in the press release. Oh, there's a drawing of Tim's of a "bear and cave" that Matt Maginn told me is basically a hairy dick and a vagina. The cave is noted as "burned and dry" so that doesn't sound very appealing.

The LP labels list the additional tracks on LP2 as "The Ugly Organ Extended," so we were able to get that dick joke in there.

If you're interested, there's a limited silkscreen poster of the new cover art, and a limited shirt from the UO era up on our online store (saddle-creek.com). Thanks for allowing me to shamelessly plug.

We're really excited that this is finally happening. I've personally been looking at the layout of this--and what was going into it--for the last year.

I'm biased of course, but I think the $23 price is reasonable. It's a double 180-gram LP. The jacket is a tip-on gatefold, and the 15 page booklet is glued in. Similar to how the deluxe Mama, I'm Swollen was set up. The titles on front and back are in clear spot gloss UV. I'm looking at the print sample here and I think it's really cool.

We talked about colored vinyl, but ultimately the band wanted to go with black to match the new black cover art. The reason behind changing the cover art was to put the focus on the organ keys, the iconic part of the artwork. Just let that stand alone. I think it was a good choice.

Again, biased, but I think the extras in the booklet are really interesting. There's full size sketches that Tim did for the original cover design (multiple organ drawings), a large scan of an original mastering tape case with funny notes from Mike Mogis, large scans of three pages of Tim's original lyrics notebook for the album, a bunch of photos that haven't ever been shared before, full lyrics for the album and additional tracks, and the other stuff mentioned in the press release. Oh, there's a drawing of Tim's of a "bear and cave" that Matt Maginn told me is basically a hairy dick and a vagina. The cave is noted as "burned and dry" so that doesn't sound very appealing.

The LP labels list the additional tracks on LP2 as "The Ugly Organ Extended," so we were able to get that dick joke in there.

If you're interested, there's a limited silkscreen poster of the new cover art, and a limited shirt from the UO era up on our online store (saddle-creek.com). Thanks for allowing me to shamelessly plug.

Ha! Knowing how many dick jokes/drawing there are in this has me convinced to pick it up at some point. Well played, sir.

maybe sell your old copy for $18-20 and factor it out to an extra $3-$5 for the 8 teeth tracks? fair nuff. unless you're attached to the green...

I have the black original copy. I'm going to wait and see what pressing quality and everything looks like on this, plus I like the old cover, so I probably won't sell it. It was a solid suggestion though.

any chance of some of the earlier stuff getting a repress? would really like "such blinding stars" and "storms of early summer" without breaking the bank. also wish early good life was saddle creek :(

This. Unfortunately, Such Blinding Stars was put out on Krank! who are somewhat defunct, but I believe still own the rights. Not sure about Storms.

maybe sell your old copy for $18-20 and factor it out to an extra $3-$5 for the 8 teeth tracks? fair nuff. unless you're attached to the green...

Unless you have a really old copy which was on black to begin with. The green came out afterwards.

But that plan isn't a bad one at all Atlas. Good way to justify the purchase.