PO: Circa Survive - Descensus (11/24/14)

I've been a fan since the Inuit sessions and still love everything. I didnt like OLG or BSN until listening to Violent Waves. I really liked it so I decided to go back and listen to it all and then BSN was a thousand times better than I remembered it being when it first came out.

I got introduced to the band with a couple of songs off of Juturna and then BSN in full and loved that album and then went back to Juturna and OLG. Honestly, it took me a really long time to get into OLG, but I've come around to loving it almost as much as Juturna. I honestly was not the biggest fan of VW until I revisited it after seeing them on their most recent tour with Ume and actually like it now as opposed to 2 years ago. Regardless, pretty stoked for this new full length!!

I feel like an anomaly here.  I don't listen to a lot of Circa these days, but I "got into" the band with OLG.  I hold it and Juturna in pretty high regard even if they're very occasional revisits for me.  I also consider Blue Sky Noise to be a really solid output; like others have said, the energy and melodies on that record make for a very refreshing addition to their discography.  But that's my last stop with the band.  The Appendage EP was eh, and Violent Waves is one of the most boring, uninspired albums I've heard in a long time.  (If Descensus delivers, I'm willing to forget that VW even exists.)

You're definitelty not an anomaly.

I feel like an anomaly here.  I don't listen to a lot of Circa these days, but I "got into" the band with OLG.  I hold it and Juturna in pretty high regard even if they're very occasional revisits for me.  I also consider Blue Sky Noise to be a really solid output; like others have said, the energy and melodies on that record make for a very refreshing addition to their discography.  But that's my last stop with the band.  The Appendage EP was eh, and Violent Waves is one of the most boring, uninspired albums I've heard in a long time.  (If Descensus delivers, I'm willing to forget that VW even exists.)

Being that I started out with Juturna and On Letting Go, BSN and VW were a bit of a shock just because of how different they were. The thing that I love about them both is that after a few listens different songs stood out at me. Especially with VW, it seems like every time I go back to that album I find a song that I under appreciated initially. Descensus seems like it is going to be amazing the first time around haha :D

Really have no use for the CD, and would be more inclined to pick up the (nicely dimensioned) print if it didn't have the band name and album title across the bottom of it.  I also think the blue-white will look a lot nicer than the "bumble bee" splatter, like abyers said.  Totally cool with not dropping $50 on this release without hearing it, too.  Very eager to hear the full album and possibly grab that HT variant.