Definitive band of the 1970s

Almost serious, but Sabbath/Clash/Ramones are all good choices.

Cheap Trick did kick ass. What's-his-name played a twelve-string bass on a few songs, which was fucking cool. And they pumped out like, a ton of good albums in a row (In Color, S/T, Heaven Tonight, At Budokan, Dream Police and All Shook Up). But they were kind of late into the 70s.

In my opinion, the Clash and Ramones were also too late to define a decade, but they could certainly be the definitive bands of first-wave punk for what that's worth. 

Cheap Trick did kick ass. What's-his-name played a twelve-string bass on a few songs, which was fucking cool. And they pumped out like, a ton of good albums in a row (In Color, S/T, Heaven Tonight, At Budokan, Dream Police and All Shook Up). But they were kind of late into the 70s.

In my opinion, the Clash and Ramones were also too late to define a decade, but they could certainly be the definitive bands of first-wave punk for what that's worth. 

I am a huge Cheap Trick fan, but I do see your point.

The bands I mentioned (and I'm remiss for omitting Devo) started in the '70s and influenced my favorite music, but don't define the '70s.

OH SHIT! I solved it.

1976 and one of my favs:

But again, no matter how awesome, does it define the '70s?

Also one of my favs. Basically there is no wrong answer to the question, because it is impossible to answer. It should be rephrased as maybe "had the most influence on music of the 80's, 90's etc..."?  I mean I could mention the Bee Gees. I'm sure they will get a lot of hate on this board, but they wrote some well loved and classic songs that most people know.

I dont think it is fair to vote a band that was around in the 60s. In my eyes the definitive band has to have come out of the 70's. Yes Sabbath is awesome, but they were around in 69, just as Zeppelin was (though they just ripped off other songs).  KISS did win the Gallup Poll 4 years in a row in the 70s as best band.

I dont think it is fair to vote a band that was around in the 60s. In my eyes the definitive band has to have come out of the 70's. Yes Sabbath is awesome, but they were around in 69, just as Zeppelin was (though they just ripped off other songs).  KISS did win the Gallup Poll 4 years in a row in the 70s as best band.

You wouldn't put Sabbath or Zep down as definitive bands of the 60s though, because they came out so late in the 60s, so I find that unfair.