PO: RED HOUSE PAINTERS BOXSET

am i missing something? how is it a guaranteed order?

I would assume that s/he secured a copy from 4AD.  Which isn't a 100% guarantee - since few things in life are - but that's honestly my best guess.

[edit]

I thought it was a BIN for $250, for a quick ~$100 profit.  Silly me.  Of course the starting bid is $250.

I would assume that s/he secured a copy from 4AD.  Which isn't a 100% guarantee - since few things in life are - but that's honestly my best guess.

[edit]

I thought it was a BIN for $250, for a quick ~$100 profit.  Silly me.  Of course the starting bid is $250.

the photo on the listing is an order receipt from soundstage direct

Thanks for the heads-up. I am just glad I know Spanish as it's quite similar to Italian. I gave it a shot and if my order at Cede.ch won't go through I hope I can get it from this italian retailer! Mille gracie again!

So, according to eBay regulations, pre-sales have to meet very specific criteria, such as listing a guaranteed delivery date which is within  30 days of purchase.  

If anyone is really keen on it, you could report the listing and have it removed.

more info: http://pages.ebay.com/help/policies/pre-sale.html

Here was his response:

Won't happen. I have never had to refund anyone in 15 years for failing to get a product in hand. I am playing it safe with this release, offering up only one of my seven copies in advance.

Just wondering, though: The distributor price on this set was $112. Online retailer prices were $150. That s over a 33% markup. After eBay and PayPal fees, my $250 starting price nets about $210. That markup is almost exactly the same (actually less, given that I m already paying interest on the copies that I ordered). What s the difference? Bars charge over 100% markup on liquor, yet people pay it because they want it. If someone doesn't want to waste a bunch of time trying to track one of these down, why shouldn't they be able to pay for convenience?

I know your position is a widely held one, but I've always found it kind of odd. I can t imagine storming into a Wal-Mart and complaining that they re charging more than cost for the items on their shelves.

- natiahs

So he's justifying markup on a markup for convenience sake, while securing 7 copies of the same box-set. Also, it's not even a BIN $250, it's a starting open-ended bid $250.

Here was his response:

Won't happen. I have never had to refund anyone in 15 years for failing to get a product in hand. I am playing it safe with this release, offering up only one of my seven copies in advance.

Just wondering, though: The distributor price on this set was $112. Online retailer prices were $150. That s over a 33% markup. After eBay and PayPal fees, my $250 starting price nets about $210. That markup is almost exactly the same (actually less, given that I m already paying interest on the copies that I ordered). What s the difference? Bars charge over 100% markup on liquor, yet people pay it because they want it. If someone doesn't want to waste a bunch of time trying to track one of these down, why shouldn't they be able to pay for convenience?

I know your position is a widely held one, but I've always found it kind of odd. I can t imagine storming into a Wal-Mart and complaining that they re charging more than cost for the items on their shelves.

- natiahs

So he's justifying markup on a markup for convenience sake, while securing 7 copies of the same box-set.

I don't agree with it, but unfortunately he has a point. It's not fair to us collectors, but he was able to secure 7 copies and 

and pay up front, he has the right to do as he pleases, people will pay as they always do. 

Like I said, I'm not happy about it, don't agree with it, but that's just capitalism.

At least he was respectful and not a jerk about it.

I don't agree with it, but unfortunately he has a point. It's not fair to us collectors, but he was able to secure 7 copies and 

and pay up front, he has the right to do as he pleases, people will pay as they always do. 

Like I said, I'm not happy about it, don't agree with it, but that's just capitalism.

Agreed. I understand everything behind it, and agree he was nice about it but it still bugs me when I see it going on. Those 7 copies could have been snagged by people on this thread who are still on pins and needles hoping to get a shot. is what it is, what are you gonna do

On a related topic, my brother ended up with a couple copies of a black friday RSD item and listed it on the bay. Someone saw this and emailed one of my brothers frequent buyers (dealing w/ baseball card stuff) and asked for my brothers information. Pretty scary stuff. Thankfully he didn't give anything up. So, yes it sucks if you can't get what you want, but people are free to do what they want with what they buy. And like the poster above said, he was respectful about it.