Fucked Up - “Year of the Hare” 12” EP

10420747_939770802722798_335159938333119

Fucked Up “Year of the Hare” 12”EP announced, due out on Deathwish June 16th

In stores June 16th, 2015.
Pre-ordering information will be posted shortly.

Fucked Up are one of the most prolific hardcore punk bands of our generation. Since their 2001 inception, they’ve challenged listeners with thoughtful artful chaos and a seemingly limitless drive for musical experimentation. Because of this, they’ve also become a record collectors worst nightmare; releasing over 80 recordings and collaborations on countless labels that include Arts & Crafts, Matador, Jade Tree, and more.

Fucked Up “Year of the Hare” is the latest installment of their Zodiac themed releases. Over a two year period, it was recorded and constructed at Electrical Audio, Key Club Studios, and Candle Studios. Title track “Year of the Hare” is a 21 minute epic that frantically mixes traditional instrumentation, piano/synths, flutes and sax, experimental editing/soundscapes, and guest vocals from great Isla Craig into one dizzying experience. While B-Side “California Cold” slowly builds and deconstructs over an 8 and a half minute stretch. Organically shifting from jangly melodic-punk anthem into a fuzzed out psychedelic jam session. Eclectically blending musical styles and voices in the most, well, Fucked Up way possible.

Track Listing:
01. Year of the Hare (21:38)
02. California Cold (8:21)

fucked up on deathwish is such a good idea.

My friend is a huge DW fan and I waa explaining these Fucked Up releases to him about two or three days ago. Weird coincidence.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

did anyone go to the zodiac show in brooklyn last night? going to the jersey city show tonight and want to know what the set list / merch lineup is looking like.

They played a surprise show in Toronto on Saturday for NxNE and they didn't play any zodiac songs (they did play California Cold though).

No merch either.

Also looking for any of the coloured variants if anyone has an extra!

Legitimate question: every time I walk into a record shop, I see a ton of Fucked Up releases. I know they're a hardcore/punk band, but there are so many releases by them, I don't know where to begin.

I've honestly wanted to check these guys out for awhile, but that back catalog is a little daunting when trying to decide on two LPs to buy.

Legitimate question: every time I walk into a record shop, I see a ton of Fucked Up releases. I know they're a hardcore/punk band, but there are so many releases by them, I don't know where to begin.

I've honestly wanted to check these guys out for awhile, but that back catalog is a little daunting when trying to decide on two LPs to buy.

Personally, I'd start with David Comes to Life and The Chemistry of Common Life. Then go with Hidden World and Glass Boys. They only have 4 LP's, so that's pretty manageable.

After that it gets a little complicated, but you can go with Couple Tracks or the Zodiac singles and then whatever else interests you from their extensive singles discography.

Personally, I'd start with David Comes to Life and The Chemistry of Common Life. Then go with Hidden World and Glass Boys. They only have 4 LP's, so that's pretty manageable.

After that it gets a little complicated, but you can go with Couple Tracks or the Zodiac singles and then whatever else interests you from their extensive singles discography.

Damn, they only have four LPs? I usually see like 8 or 9 different 12"s haha. I know the "Year of"s are EPs technically, right? Either way, thanks for the help. I'm really eager to get into these guys.

Absolutely love this, as with everything they've put out.

My only small complaint is the short pause halfway through the song during the part where it slows down to just the drum down-beat. Why break up such a good long-song with silence like that? It bugs me everytime.

The feel of the second half is so beautiful though.

Fucked Up's library is so diverse, but I would definitely start with Hidden World.  In my opinion that album is their sound at its core.  If you don't like that you probably won't like anything else.

After that I'd recommend Chemistry of Common Life, Couple Tracks, Zodiac singles (listen to them in order, the way they have progressed is incredible), then David Comes to Life and Glass Boys.  I love David Comes to Life, but feel like it's different than everything else they've done and wouldn't be a good starting point.