The Mark Kozelek/Sun Kil Moon/Red House Painters thread

Thanks for the link! Was able to snag Rock 'n' Roll Singer (I had pre-ordered from Rough Trade, but feel much more confident about a US order...plus it's cheaper). It looks like there are only 12 left, so get on it soon! My record store guy is very confident about getting me a copy of WNTTM on RSD, so not so bummed I missed that.

EDIT: Oh, also, if anyone cares: got my shipping confirmation from Caldo Verde for Live at Biko last night!

Well, I'm glad I subscribed to this thread and filled my Inbox up with meaningless emails... So when the ONLY meaningful one comes down the pike, I'm asleep.  :angry:  :angry:

Seriously... Who posts a fuckin' PO at 1 AM in the morning so it will sell out by 5 AM?? A few of us actually have to WORK for a living....

Kudos to those who got 'em tho.

Well, I'm glad I subscribed to this thread and filled my Inbox up with meaningless emails... So when the ONLY meaningful one comes down the pike, I'm asleep.  :angry:  :angry:

Seriously... Who posts a fuckin' PO at 1 AM in the morning so it will sell out by 5 AM?? A few of us actually have to WORK for a living....

Kudos to those who got 'em tho.

Seriously... Rock n Roll singer was the one release I really wanted after years of it not ever being on vinyl, and as soon as I go to sleep... I get fucked. Such bullshit...

Slept through it too. Oh well. I'd imagine R&R will be available a bunch of places online domestically. So we should have more opportunity to get that in places other than Rough Trade. I get that Moon was RSD only so they would only have the 70 or whatever they said they were going to sell online. But i don't know why they wouldn't have had a huge supply of R&R.

Having really only hearing (and loving) Benji, would anybody say that Live at Biko is an essential live album to have? My store has like, 15 copies. I'd buy it and find out, but it's pretty expensive.

it shouldn't be expensive. It was $20 from caldo verde and every other online retailer except maybe amazon...

I'm not so big on live albums, but Kozelek's are pretty good for what they are... intimate acoustic versions of his songs.

Buy it if it's cheap. 

Does anyone else notice significant groove travel when listening to any of the colored variations of Benji? I've noticed my turntable arm traveling back & forth when playing my blue copy. It gets worse as it gets closer to the center, and on songs like Pray for Newtown it makes his guitar sound out of tune (pitch goes up, pitch goes down). It's not my turntable, because every other record plays just fine.

^ Happened on my yellow copy as well, I've heard it's not just an isolated incident and is actually a problem on a lot/most of them.

Glad it's not just my hearing. I was looking at it while it was spinning as well & noticed how it looks to swing farther to one side. Is the center hole just off by just a bit? Do the black ones sound the same?

My black copy doesn't have this problem. 

Is it on one side only or all sides?

It certainly is on both sides of the first record, I may have not been paying as close of attention with the second record. Pray for Newtown is the song that shows it the worst because it's so easy to hear the notes on his guitar go up & down within the same note almost like he's doing string bends the entire time...

It certainly is on both sides of the first record, I may have not been paying as close of attention with the second record. Pray for Newtown is the song that shows it the worst because it's so easy to hear the notes on his guitar go up & down within the same note almost like he's doing string bends the entire time...

I've "corrected" an album with this problem once. One side was pressed off center by about 1/16th of an inch or more. I used a round file to rework the hole so i could place it on the turntable in proper center for that side. It's a pain in the ass, and if you get it wrong you can make it worse i guess.

With both sides being pressed off center on yours if might be a problem to fix unless they are both off center in the same direction....

Personally i wouldn't try to fix it. the record i fixed was a bargain bin find and a dime a dozen, so if i screwed it up there was no big loss.