Record Store Day's new "Vinyl Tuesday"

Long and the short, can't we all just get along? Can the people queuing up for the next Taylor Swift record stand beside somebody looking for the most obscure band you've never heard of? 

I am literally both of these people.

Does this mean I have to move Taco Tuesday to a different day of the week?

KEY QUESTION.

Anyway this Vinyl Tuesday thing is super dumb.

From Record Store Day's Facebook:

Despite what you may have read on blog and website posts with inaccurate headlines, Record Store Day is not "about to go weekly". Record Store Day, the third Saturday in April, is and will remain a special celebration of the independent record store, with limited edition, exclusive releases on vinyl, CD and other formats as one part of that party. Record Store Day, the organization of volunteers who work year-round to spread the word about indie record stores, will continue to do just that, and one way is with what we're calling Vinyl Tuesday. (Yes, we gave it a name because a name and logo go a long way towards getting things publicized in this world we live in).

Recently, a group of people, mostly outside the US, decided that physical music releases would start coming on Fridays, globally. (For the record, a global streetdate makes sense, but for a lot of valid reasons, which were outlined to this group, many retailers and others affected by this think Friday is the wrong day.) Vinyl Tuesday is a way for us to encourage artists, labels, distributors and managers to continue to release physical music on Tuesdays when they can. This allows physical retailers to have something fresh to sell and to talk about during the week, and lets those releases not just get lost on the increasingly crowded Friday/weekend.

To clarify: we are not planning on having limited edition exclusives created every Tuesday. We are working to have titles continue to be released on Tuesday when they can be. (Lots of those titles are already scheduled to come out, now they'll just come on a Tuesday.) One Vinyl Tuesday may see a reissue that was already in the works being given a Tuesday streetdate. An album whose CD component has already come out might see its vinyl coming on a Vinyl Tuesday. There will be some indie exclusive titles, of course, because those already exist throughout the year, but a lot of Vinyl Tuesday releases will be given a Tuesday street date at all retailers who sell physical media. Every Vinyl Tuesday will be different, will be made up of different kinds of physical releases. What they'll have in common is the day of the week.

It's really a pretty simple thing, and it's definitely not a weekly Record Store Day. But it is in line with what we do all year long already, which is to promote and support indie record stores.

I like Tuesday releases, they give me something to look forward to after a weekend. They make Mondays more exciting. On weekend, I'm generally trying to do life things but I listen to music when I work and commute to/from work. But whatever. I can always grab the albums over the weekend and listen starting Monday if I don't have the chance on the weekend.

As long as the vinyl versions come out on the Tuesday before the digital versions, I'll be fine with this. I have no interest in waiting an extra 4 days just because the RSD people want to make it a thing for no reason.

I think it's the other way around. The world is pushing for Friday and RSD wants to keep tradition, albeit in a small way.

I think the companies behind switching to a global release date are shooting themselves in the foot with the idea. They're thinking "if it all comes out on Fridays then there won't be any leaking!" since music comes out on Fridays in Australia, which gives people nearly 5 days to leak a new release around the world before Europe's Monday release date and North America's Tuesday. BUT what I think they're not thinking about is giving the artist a chance to promote the new releases in its respective continent as it drops, which in turn could harm the sales anyway. Instead of boosting attention to the music around the world as it happens, they'll be forced to choose the "best market" to be in for the promotion and hope that people don't stop caring once the promotion hits other markets after the release date.

Again, the artists get the short end of the stick.

I support titles being released randomly. Every day of the week. Keeps things fresh. I'm thinking the RSD folks want a specific day so they can hype demand and drive crowds for exclusive titles. Tuesdays are slow days. Fridays are the beginning of the weekend, and the RSD people probably don't want their work to spill into the weekend.