Fragile charges (new post office fees)

so i havent sent a record in a while. few months. apparently (starting this month) if you have fragile written on your package they add a charge. just got charged $10.35 to send a record to georgia (from texas) i paid cause i wont get another chance till friday/sat.

so when they ask fragile, are we supposed to say no or yes

so i havent sent a record in a while. few months. apparently (starting this month) if you have fragile written on your package they add a charge. just got charged $10.35 to send a record to georgia (from texas) i paid cause i wont get another chance till friday/sat.

so when they ask fragile, are we supposed to say no or yes

the fragile fee was $10.35?  how much was the fee they added to your bill?  

I'm guessing it was sent through USPS? That's weird. I only ever have to answer the hazardous materials question on the screen when I'm sending out packages, it doesn't ask if I'm sending anything fragile or anything like that if I remember correctly.

As far as writing "fragile" or "do not bend" on mailers, I barely ever have to do that because people have typically already written it on mailers if I'm reusing them. The people at the post office know I'm sending out records, so they sometimes will stamp it as fragile without me even asking. I've never been charged extra.

my total was $13.75 or so. $10.35 fragile fee and $3.45 to ship it. yes usps. the worker said it started this month from now on. yeah same with the hazardous stuff. i read the screen and it included fragile on there. its before hazardous etc basically all the other shit it had on there. pretty sure this guy wouldve told me something even i hadnt written it myself.

Never written fragile on a package. I feel like that word is a target to treat your shipment even shittier.

I remember back when Lifehacker did a podcast a listener who worked for the post office wrote in and said that this is the case. A lot of employees intentionally mistreat fragile marker packages. He said the best deterrent is to have a kid (or if you can fake it) write "Happy Birthday" or "I love you grandma!" on the package because employees will assume it's a handmade gift from a kid and will treat it nicely haha.

Never tried it myself but it makes sense.

That's the most ridiculous thing I've heard in a while. People send fragile items of all types all the time. Who decided TEN DOLLARS was an appropriate amount for sending one single thing that weighs like a pound?

If this is true, I'm just never gonna write Fragile again. I might have to grill my mail office about the rule, what is or isn't accepted non-fee writing on the package etc. Man, if that just popped up on me right before I sent it, I would have just been like 'No, nevermind, thank you', taken my record back home and used another mailer. One that says 'Don't throw this around like a football you assholes.'