PO NOW: Defeater - Abandoned (Out in August 28th)

I love Defeater but so many of their fans are so condescending. Like how so many fans gave the band shit when they toured with ABR and Defeater was like wtf are yall talking about.. ABR is an awesome band and awesome people. all 4 bands I have mentioned here are good in different ways so don't act so above it unless you have some music to show for yourself

You are a jagoff if you like falling in reverse.

LOL WHAT

Falling In Reverse is a terrible band but this is 100% true. Jacky Vincent absolutely rips on guitar, like 80's god shred level, and even if you hate that brand of music or think technicality is meaningless in what makes a musician "good," it cannot be argued that anyone in Defeater is even 1/100th as technically proficient as that guy on the guitar. that sort of proficiency only comes from hours and hours and hours of working on technique. 

He's basically a prodigy, dude learned to shred harder than 99% of people currently playing by doing it in his bedroom without even an amp. He's also really young, unlike a lot of the big guitar players ATM who are quite a bit older, like Abasi, Govan, Dave Davidson, Paul Waggoner.... as a guitar player I can't help but respect that kind of dedication and really just raw talent. 

He also has an album on Shrapnel, which doesn't happen unless you absolutely burn on the guitar. his playing is on the level of a guy like Jason Becker, technically (less interesting phrasing/compositions though for sure). I don't expect anyone on this board to defend the band, including myself, but if you play guitar or have even a basic grasp of music you can't possibly think the guy "sucks" at guitar. 

he plays in a terrible band and has a really lame image, i'd rather listen to defeater any day, but his talent is 100% legitimate. he also clearly loves the 80s stuff, so I guess I can't fault him there, it's some really well done Becker worship. some pretty great melodies on it actually, it's just super cheesy, literally sounds like it came out 3 decades ago. 

in case proof is needed: 

i'm not trying to take sides here, just stating fact that his musicianship should be respected, and it is not even remotely wrong to say that he is more talented than Defeater, at least in terms of musical proficiency. if anyone on here can learn that song and post a video i will literally suck your dick. if you think the guys in Defeater are better guitar players, i respect your preference, but all that says to me is that you either haven't listened to his playing (pretty sure he only really does the solos in FIR so I can see why) or you aren't a musician. because Vincent's talent cannot be argued. 

Dude may be able to play mindless shred, but he's still got nothing on a lot of the good metal shredders out there. Pretty sure Ryan Knight could shred him under the table.

Enough off topic bullshit now?

I mean somebody can always shred somebody under the table, which is why technical proficiency only goes so far, but I was responding to the surprise posters were expressing at saying that Jacky Vincent was a more talented guitarist than Defeater's members, which despite not being a fan of his is obviously true to anybody who has any basic of understanding of actually playing music. 

I get that woah_dude is an unpopular poster or w.e but I was just saying that his post was accurate (he even admitted Defeater was a better band) because everyone else was saying the opposite, which again, is just wrong. Defeater's guitar players would never claim to be shred gods, and they don't need to. But raw talent is most easily expressed in technical proficiency if you don't want to fall into the subjective rabbit hole, and Vincent has that in spades, which is all he was saying. 

And hey, for what it's worth, Ryan Knight is an amazing guitar player but I don't think he shreds Vincent under the table. He definitely writes perfect solos for a way better band but as far as just burning up a fretboard I think Vincent is up there with just about anybody. He's a one trick pony sure but he does that trick as well as anybody, his playing is so fast and so clean, especially those sweeps.

I actually think Ryan Knight would probably be a fan of his, considering that he is a huge Becker fanboy (his most recent Ibanez LACS custom had rainbow colored pups just like JB's). Any guitar player respects technique like that. For what it's worth, I think Dave Davidson is a more well rounded player than Knight too, he mixes it up way more, Revocation's last album had the most mind bending thrash guitar I've ever heard. You can only play so much over BDM riffs but Davidson throws in lots of jazz/prog along with the god tier thrash. He gets my vote for most perfect metal player. 

And if you are into guitar playing, honestly, I think Guthrie Govan's playing on the new Aristocrats album (just came out) is as insane as it gets. He's really on another level entirely, it seems to me. Such tasty jams/riffs/bass and guitar interplay. It's like Erotic Cakes if it was actually written by a band. Through the Flower is one of the greatest things I've heard. 

My all time fav is Hendrix anyway, nobody will ever be as good again in the sense that he was. It's not like I'm a shred head, but hey I'm just chiming in on the conversation and affirming that Vincent is indeed a very talented guitar player who makes horrible music. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

For the dudes that wanna talk about technical skills and shredding and ripping and who is talented you might want to take a look at jay maas' contributions to the hardcore and punk scene from a production stand point.

Here are some of the albums he has worked on.

http://www.jaymaas.com/album-covers/

To me that is much more proficient than ripping solos in an 80s inspired cock rock band.