Godspeed You! Black Emperor Fall 2015 tour

"And I just couldn't figure out why no one wanted to stand next to me. People are so fucking weird."

I don't want people standing next to me, I want them dancing too!

"like a madman" is actually a little excessive... it was a healthy grooving. Dancing to Godspeed was like a religious experience for me. I can't wait to do that again. What a beautiful, beautiful thing to be able to do.

I'm going to say something controversial here. I saw them last week...& can honestly say I was a bit underwhelmed. No doubt the "wall of sound" was immense, but visually I was expecting much more. It all just came across as someone playing records really really loudly.

Granted, everything sounded amazing, but for me I didn't feel wrapped up in the performance. Everyone just kind of stood there. And the projections were neat, but really didn't do anything for me.

I was still stoked to get to see them, but based on the hype, I was a bit underwhelmed.

I agree that the projections were bit underwhelming, especially compared to their past performances

I definitely was refereing to the band just standing there. I was up front against the stage so I'm not too sure how the crowd was. Godspeed is about the only post-rock band though I could understand watching without moving a ton. Their songs don't really have recurring melodies or breakdowns or anything. Their songs are almost more like movements. I was hoping I would get more of an artistic performance from them as opposed to just rocking out. I firmly believe proper lighting can make or break a show, and for Godspeed it was pretty much grainy projections while the band stood there and played.

I was hoping for a little bit more substance.

Maybe it was just the venue I happened to see them at and/or the fact my feet were hurting worse than they ever have at a show that hindered it. I dunno.

I don't want people standing next to me, I want them dancing too!

"like a madman" is actually a little excessive... it was a healthy grooving. Dancing to Godspeed was like a religious experience for me. I can't wait to do that again. What a beautiful, beautiful thing to be able to do.

People with your mentality ruin shows for me. My problem I know but fuck. Dancing people are the WORST.

Dancing people are the WORST.

Well to each their own, but I am with you on this..

People at live shows tend to loosen up and enter some trance-like hippyesque 'my body is a waterfall and I am flowing towards the heart of the music'-state while I stand there and think 'get the FUCK out of my sight.

The worst ever regarding that topic was seeing Swans. People were shaking like they were going fucking insane! I was actually contemplating getting a young and an old priest.

tumblr_m1c1cub3tx1r3n3ugo1_500.gif

Even worse---dancing people wearing backpacks. Leave you fucking backpack at home!

The 2nd part I can agree with. It's super inconsiderate of others' space.

But whats your gripe with dancing? Fucking loosen up man! Music should make you move and feel.

It probably also comes from the fact that I see lots of jamband shows, because I love dancing and that music is made for dancing-to.

But you guys should check your judgement... you're projecting some very negative energy towards people who are experiencing a very positive, joyous thing at a show. That's not very cool, is it?

But you guys should check your judgement... you're projecting some very negative energy towards people who are experiencing a very positive, joyous thing at a show. That's not very cool, is it?

I am pretty sure those people waving their dreadlocks or whatever shitty hairstyle they prefer in my face have a much more negative impact on my experience than I have on theirs..

I am pretty sure those people waving their dreadlocks or whatever shitty hairstyle they prefer in my face have a much more negative impact on my experience than I have on theirs..

Went to see Fang Island on my night off when they came to the venue I used to work at....dude next to me before the show started tapped me on the shoulder and said, "sorry in advance braugh, I like to dance and I DEFINITELY have dreadlocks". I just stared at him and said, "well there's plenty of room in the back just behind the crowd of people that came here to just enjoy the music where you'd be completely free and uninhibited to fully express yourself". To which he simply replied, "naw, braugh, I gotta be up front to vibe". "Ok, well it's a bit of a nuisance, but I guess you're not actually hurting anybody, just annoying them"

That was that....and his dreads definitely continually whipped me until I got tired of it, cruised back to the bar and watched the rest of the show from the soundbooth.

...it's like everyone's too fucking scared to show emotion and let loose and move their body. Way too self-conscious.

I think there's a happy medium to be found when it comes to moving around at a show. I started a minor debate on this topic in the Caspian Live at Larcom thread. The only off-putting thing about that recording was the 90% of the crowd that didn't seem to be moving AT ALL. Watching Caspian jam the fuck out, I don't get how people can't follow suit. Godspeed though, as I stated before, don't jam the fuck out, & have a style more fitting for some nodding and watching (in my opinion).

No matter what the situation or band, thrashing around with no regard for others is rude, but if you aren't running into or hitting anyone (unless it's a pit), I don't see the issue.

The energy to do so is either there with a crowd or not....my issue is when you're THE one guy doing it. I'm glad you're having a grand ole time....but if you're THE only person dancing and acting manic or on the verge of a seizure, chances are you're bumming people out around you and ruining a few people's evening.

For me it's an All or None scenario.....read the crowd and go with the flow, just like drivin on the interstate....if you're the only asshole doing 90 it's dangerous for everybody else and if everybody is doing 90 and you wanna do 60 in the left hand lane it's dangerous for everybody.

The energy to do so is either there with a crowd or not....my issue is when you're THE one guy doing it. I'm glad you're having a grand ole time....but if you're THE only person dancing and acting manic or on the verge of a seizure, chances are you're bumming people out around you and ruining a few people's evening.

For me it's an All or None scenario.....read the crowd and go with the flow, just like drivin on the interstate....if you're the only asshole doing 90 it's dangerous for everybody else and if everybody is doing 90 and you wanna do 60 in the left hand lane it's dangerous for everybody.

This is a good point. At Godspeed in Hudson, there was a good group of us kind of midway back in the crowd, lengthwise, who were opening ourselves up.

Its not really thrashing about, but more... shaking your body while keeping your feet more or less where they would be if you were simply standing still. Bopping back and forth, side to side, maybe adding 3-4 extra inches of space to your personal bubble.

The crowd wasn't packed there anyway, so it didn't really matter. But it was just weird how totally stoic and disinterested most people seemed. I mean, for music that impactful, I would expect people to be losing their shit. I donno, just my observations.

Anyway, we'll continue this more later because I'm late for work!

Anyway, we'll continue this more later because I'm late for work!

Please don't.

We all know that there are different opinions about this by now. No need to debate the merits of moving vs. standing still. No one here is going to change their mind on that either way.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this because Godspeed are touring at the start of next year, and I'm elated with the possibility of catching them on February 3rd. Hopefully they'll sneak a new album onto the merch stands before then.

Fuck!!! YES!!!! Where did you find this info? I ***NEED*** to see this band again. That was one of the most intense things I've ever seen.

Thanks man, I was already late for work this morning haha. Can't. Stop. VC'ing.

EDIT: Faaack, nothing on the East Coast, except the Quebec date, which is also the same date as my David Gilmour show in NYC. Grrrrr

Honestly, this feels like Part 2 of their latest tour, where they only hit up the East coast (more or less).  I was bummed to see nothing on this side of the U.S., from that tour, so to me it feels like they're just concluding their U.S. run.