PO: Pity Sex - What Might Soothe You 7" (LP Spring 2016)

dvv

This track is way better than everything on Feast Of Love, but still isn't anywhere as good as the EP.

I didn't think they were much different, neither is this new track, which is a good thing. I'm tired of every band I've gotten into over the last 4 years mellowing out and becoming boring. If anything Pity Sex has gotten more energetic with every release.

I didn't think they were much different, neither is this new track, which is a good thing. I'm tired of every band I've gotten into over the last 4 years mellowing out and becoming boring. If anything Pity Sex has gotten more energetic with every release.

Feast Of Love just sounded like (the bad kind of) pop punk produced to sound shoegazy to me. Dark World had a real slow burning, crackling, gooey warmth to it and just was just a really cute and juvenile record. By comparison FOL sounded really sterile and ditched anything unique they had going for them.

Feast Of Love just sounded like (the bad kind of) pop punk produced to sound shoegazy to me. Dark World had a real slow burning, crackling, gooey warmth to it and just was just a really cute and juvenile record. By comparison FOL sounded really sterile and ditched anything unique they had going for them.

I don't hear any of what you're talking about on FOL. FOL is one of the best records of the past few years to come out. I listen to it on average once a week. Never gets old. You're crazy.

I don't hear any of what you're talking about on FOL. FOL is one of the best records of the past few years to come out. I listen to it on average once a week. Never gets old. You're crazy.

You did not think the band took more of a (the bad kind of) pop punk approach with the songwriting on FOL? The first EP had loads of character but the follow-up just sounded like faux-pop punk with a dream pop filter applied.

This new track sounds like a slicker, more evolved version of what they were doing on the first EP.

Honestly I think the songwriting got better, they have never had a knack for lyrics, but FOL was a huge step up. I think "Dogwalk" is the only song on the ep in league with anything on FOL. It's better produced and the songs get stuck in your head. I think the new song is similar to the adventures split in terms of song structure and sound. I wasn't blown away by the new song, but I enjoyed it. I am definitely interested in the new album, but I really don't get how FOL could be a let down after dark world. But different strokes for different folks. I love their sound I don't think there is anyone else combining midwest emo with dream pop/shoegaze and a little grunge fuzziness, I just think it's going to be hard to top FOL for me that album got daily play for a few weeks