What are you Top 10 albums of all time?

Sad Heart

That's fair. Ok, so top 10 favorite punk albums of all time. Same rules go.

PUNK, not hardcore. Just plain ole 80s, 90s punk. Hardcore is an entirely different list.

So we are leaning more Black Flag than Agnostic Front. More Minor Threat than Bane. More Bad Brains than Terror.

Does that make sense?

RAMONES - s/t

Adicts - Sound of Music

The Crucifucks - Our Will Be Done

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

The Queers - Day Late and a Dollar Short

The Casualties - For The Punx

Black Flag - The First Four Years

Rudimentary Peni - The EPs of RP (if I have to choose one, it'd be the Archaic EP)

Blanks 77 - Tanked & Pogoed

The Spits - 1st s/t

Honorable Mentions:

Subhumans - The Day The Country Died

Anything by Chrome

Stooges - Funhouse

Beastie Boys - Aglio Y Olio

The Oi Scouts - Boots For The Beatdown

Plasmatics - Beyond The Valley of 1984

GG Allin - Public Animal #1

I have a personal punk playlist ready to go, for anyone who happens to be interested (on spotify):

https://open.spotify.com/user/arvofingers/playlist/2aZyUh9fUidA5gvq6HMNgf

This is for my personal purposes and not "all time" this or "best" that.  It's just what gets me back to the basics sometimes.    

RAMONES - s/t

Adicts - Sound of Music

The Crucifucks - Our Will Be Done

The Damned - Damned Damned Damned

The Queers - Day Late and a Dollar Short

The Casualties - For The Punx

Black Flag - The First Four Years

Rudimentary Peni - The EPs of RP (if I have to choose one, it'd be the Archaic EP)

Blanks 77 - Tanked & Pogoed

The Spits - 1st s/t

Honorable Mentions:

Subhumans - The Day The Country Died

Anything by Chrome

Stooges - Funhouse

Beastie Boys - Aglio Y Olio

The Oi Scouts - Boots For The Beatdown

Plasmatics - Beyond The Valley of 1984

GG Allin - Public Animal #1

That Adicts is great

Two interesting choices there: Mitch Hedberg (not even a musical album!) and Foo Fighters. I think you're the first person in the thread to put TINLTL on your list. Great record!

Insomniac is pretty great too. Underrated as hell.

Mitch is the best. RIP.

I was close to putting Carlin's Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics on the list also, but that might've been overkill with the comedy. That Weird Al album helped mold my sense of humor a lot as a child.

Weezer's best album.

My second favorite Foo album. SO fucking close to my favorite. Aurora is one of my favorite Foo tracks ever.

Insomniac is incredibly underrated.

Glad to see 3EB getting some love on here.

That's a damn good list. Mitch is pretty random though. Ducks eat for free at Subway.

I've watched the Back and Forth documentary so many times and I love the story behind TINLTL. And Generator is my favorite FF song ever.

I've never gotten into the Beatles, but I respect their songwriting. That said, The White Album has got to be one of the most over-rated albums I can think of. It's purportedly a concept album, but it sounds like a bunch of thrown together out-takes for the most part. I guess it inspired Charles Manson and Family, but .....

If you're viewing it now, I can see where you'd think that. If you put that album in context of 1968 it makes a little more sense....world was pretty damned crazy and they were starting to let themselves be heavily influenced by other contemporary artists at the time. It's not my favorite Beatles album by any means....but after taking a class on the year 1968 and digging into the political climate of the world and other artists that were popular at the time I came away a much stronger appreciation for that album as a whole.

I'm sure I'll remember something else as soon as I post, but this is as accurate as I can be at the moment:

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

The Snake The Cross The Crown - Cotton Teeth

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (by a hair over Small Change)

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

Wilco - Summerteeth

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

Jeffery Foucault - Miles from the Lightning

The Felix Culpa -  Sever Your Roots

Mitch is the best. RIP.

I was close to putting Carlin's Parental Advisory: Explicit Lyrics on the list also, but that might've been overkill with the comedy. That Weird Al album helped mold my sense of humor a lot as a child.

I've watched the Back and Forth documentary so many times and I love the story behind TINLTL. And Generator is my favorite FF song ever.

Dude, I'm right there with you. I love the process, and story of that album the most too.

I'm sure I'll remember something else as soon as I post, but this is as accurate as I can be at the moment:

Counting Crows - August and Everything After

The Snake The Cross The Crown - Cotton Teeth

Genesis - The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway

Tom Waits - Rain Dogs (by a hair over Small Change)

The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

Brand New - The Devil and God are Raging Inside Me

Wilco - Summerteeth

A Tribe Called Quest - People's Instinctive Travels and the Paths of Rhythm

Jeffery Foucault - Miles from the Lightning

The Felix Culpa - Sever Your Roots

My friends made somebody's top 10 of all time list! Stooooooooked

If you're viewing it now, I can see where you'd think that. If you put that album in context of 1968 it makes a little more sense....world was pretty damned crazy and they were starting to let themselves be heavily influenced by other contemporary artists at the time. It's not my favorite Beatles album by any means....but after taking a class on the year 1968 and digging into the political climate of the world and other artists that were popular at the time I came away a much stronger appreciation for that album as a whole.

There are some good tracks on it, I just don't understand who it is a conceptual album.  How "Back In The USSR" or "They Say It's Your Birthday" are part of some concept.  I appreciate that they were inspired by John Cage and that, and that they were messing with reel to reels as they recorded, playing things backwards and whatnot.  Hell, they were studying under the Maharashi at that time, and my meditation teacher was taught by a guy that was taught by him, so that's cool.  I also tend to be a bit turned off by overtly political subject matter, so if that is in there somehow, it's even more reason that the White Album is not for me.  

"She's So Heavy" and "Why Dont' We Do It In The Road", and that one song, "I'm Lonely"  etc are good, but goddamn I went through the whole thread this morning waiting for my coffee to kick in and listening to The Stooges, and I only saw one person put an album by The Stones in there.  And it was Goats Head Soup!  That's an odd one is all.  I'm alone in this, but while I think the Rolling Stones are beyond great at just about everything they touched in the 60s, for my money the best album start to finish by them is "Metamorphosis", and I think that one was mainly out-takes, if I'm not mistaken.  

There are some good tracks on it, I just don't understand who it is a conceptual album. How "Back In The USSR" or "They Say It's Your Birthday" are part of some concept. I appreciate that they were inspired by John Cage and that, and that they were messing with reel to reels as they recorded, playing things backwards and whatnot. Hell, they were studying under the Maharashi at that time, and my meditation teacher was taught by a guy that was taught by him, so that's cool. I also tend to be a bit turned off by overtly political subject matter, so if that is in there somehow, it's even more reason that the White Album is not for me.

"She's So Heavy" and "Why Dont' We Do It In The Road", and that one song, "I'm Lonely" etc are good, but goddamn I went through the whole thread this morning waiting for my coffee to kick in and listening to The Stooges, and I only saw one person put an album by The Stones in there. And it was Goats Head Soup! That's an odd one is all. I'm alone in this, but while I think the Rolling Stones are beyond great at just about everything they touched in the 60s, for my money the best album start to finish by them is "Metamorphosis", and I think that one was mainly out-takes, if I'm not mistaken.

Goats Head Soup happens to have one of my all-time favorite songs in Rock n Roll on it.....so though I teetered between Exile on Main Street and Goats Head Soup, I came to the conclusion that as far as albums I couldn't live without.....one without Starfucker was one I could live without

As far as The White Album backlash is concerned.....to each their own. I've never thought of it as a concept album, I'm simply saying it made more sense when taken in context of that year and other contemporary artists at that time....still a bizzare album and not one of my favorites

Goats Head Soup happens to have one of my all-time favorite songs in Rock n Roll on it.....so though I teetered between Exile on Main Street and Goats Head Soup, I came to the conclusion that as far as albums I couldn't live without.....one without Starfucker was one I could live without

As far as The White Album backlash is concerned.....to each their own. I've never thought of it as a concept album, I'm simply saying it made more sense when taken in context of that year and other contemporary artists at that time....still a bizzare album and not one of my favorites

I didn't realize it was you that put it in your top list.  I don't knock it, I just think it's unusual.   And that's fine.  The way I think the world should work isn't happening, people are liking the Beatles over the Rolling Stones and I just think that's silly.  No one has commented on my top list probably because they think it's unusual (or horrible).  It was tough not to put the Rolling Stones in there.  But if I did put the Stones on the list, it'd be "Metamorphosis", which is probably equally unusual to others.  Compared to say "Exile on Main Street" or "Aftermath" or anything else.  I love their early blues records, especially "Out of Our Heads", but Metamorphosis is like the perfect breakup album and not in a sad way :  "I'd Rather Be Out With The Boys"....  and so on.....  

I might change my mind in like 10 minutes but:

Smashing Pumpkins - Mellon Collie and the infinite sadness

Bright Eyes - Fevers & mirrors

Xiu Xiu - A promise

Brand new - The devil and god are raging inside of me

Charles Mingus - the black saint and the sinner lady

Cobalt - gin

Joanna newsom - ys

British sea power - the decline of british sea power

John Coltrane - a love supreme

Talk talk - laughing stock

I downloaded Cold House a while back and never really got around to listening to it. I think I'll give Silent '88 a listen now, though.

Hood have a few different periods of music and Silent '88 falls under their noise/lofi early stuff. It might be a harsh listen at first but it is a great fall/winter album. Outside Closer and Cold House are more electronic and put together compared to the first two albums and singles around that time.

Eels - Electro Shock Blues

Nirvana - In Utero

Suicide Machines - Battle Hymns

Bomb the Music Industry! - Goodbye Cool World

Against Me! - As the Eternal Cowboy

Pearl Jam - Vitalogy

R.E.M. - Monster

Pixies - Doolittle

Rancid - ...And Out Come the Wolves

None More Black - File Under Black

I think I hate this list already.

I hate the idea of this, but I love the challenge. While these are by no means all-time, they certainly find their way on rotation during winter (or every week for some)

In no particular order:

Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw

La Dispute - Rooms of the House

Tigers Jaw - Tigers Jaw

Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist

Elliott Smith - XO

The National - High Violet

A.A. Bondy - The Heart is Willing

The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place

mewithoutYou - Catch Us for the Foxes

The Soil & The Sun - Wake Up, Child

Honourable Mention:

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Darkside - Psychic

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

woof.

I hate the idea of this, but I love the challenge. While these are by no means all-time, they certainly find their way on rotation during winter (or every week for some)

In no particular order:

Murder By Death - Red of Tooth and Claw

La Dispute - Rooms of the House

Tigers Jaw - Tigers Jaw

Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist

Elliott Smith - XO

The National - High Violet

A.A. Bondy - The Heart is Willing

The Album Leaf - In a Safe Place

mewithoutYou - Catch Us for the Foxes

The Soil & The Sun - Wake Up, Child

Honourable Mention:

Iggy Pop - Lust For Life

Alt-J - An Awesome Wave

Darkside - Psychic

Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over the Sea

Father John Misty - I Love You, Honeybear

The Heart is Willing = Believers?

Wanted to do a list and look cool... but I probably look like a scene kid or something. Don't get me wrong there's lots of great albums, Foo - "Colour", Metallica - "Black", maybe earlier albums of my listed bands...

Anberlin - "Cities"

Aritfex Pereo - "Time In Place"

August Burns Red - "Constellations"

The Devil Wears Prada - "With Roots Above And Branches Below"

Haste The Day - "Attack Of The Wolf King"

Ivoryline - "Vessels"

Jeremy Soule - "The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" ;)

Sent By Ravens - "Mean What You Say"

Skillet - "Comatose"

Underoath - "Lost In The Sound Of Separation"