made for CD but ported to vinyl... now reversed.

anyone notice that album releases have really started to be "made for vinyl" over the past few years?  and what I mean by this is... after y2k most releases were CD only and everything was designed for the CD and it was either ported to vinyl or not released at all.  CDs came with huge booklets and lots of artwork within it but when 2010 rolled around and everything was getting pressed on vinyl for the first time, the vinyl release would either omit the CD booklet and artwork or make a single page with a bunch of squares representing the booklet pages or just a very stripped down version of it with a lot of it missing.  but over the past few years it seems like it has reversed and now the releases are being made for vinyl and ported to CD.  most releases today have these nice picture sleeves to hold the record instead of a generic white sleeve.  and CD versions have a very small booklet that is just a couple a pages that cut up the picture sleeve into a book form.  so it seems to be that most releases today are made for vinyl and ported to CD, and sometimes even cassette.  bands today are probably also making the tracklist order of songs of their albums to make sure they can fit on a single LP.  anyone else notice this recently?  I never really see it discussed.

Sorry. 

anyway, bands make tracklistings so that they can get as many streams as possible. Not for vinyl. But vinyl sells and can make money for bands so that’s why we see more effort put into it. It has nothing to do with recording for the format. 

Edited by timsimmons

6 hours ago, timsimmons said:

Sorry. 

anyway, bands make tracklistings so that they can get as many streams as possible. Not for vinyl. But vinyl sells and can make money for bands so that’s why we see more effort put into it. It has nothing to do with recording for the format. 

I think this is closer to reality. I wish more artists who release their music on vinyl would actually write albums with the limitations of the format in mind, but that still seems to be an afterthought 95% of the time.  Look no further than all the needless 2xLP releases out there that would have been much better trimmed down to fit a single LP.  What's even more fun is when the artwork is pixelated simply because whoever did the layout didn't size the files correctly, which is totally inexcusable, yet I have a nice stack of records where this obviously happened. But I do agree though that it's much more common now to see CD packaging that mimics record sleeves, which is nice since I think we can all agree that jewel cases suck.

7 hours ago, bjorn said:

I think this is closer to reality. I wish more artists who release their music on vinyl would actually write albums with the limitations of the format in mind, but that still seems to be an afterthought 95% of the time.  Look no further than all the needless 2xLP releases out there that would have been much better trimmed down to fit a single LP.  What's even more fun is when the artwork is pixelated simply because whoever did the layout didn't size the files correctly, which is totally inexcusable, yet I have a nice stack of records where this obviously happened. But I do agree though that it's much more common now to see CD packaging that mimics record sleeves, which is nice since I think we can all agree that jewel cases suck.

that's another good point,,,most cds now come in digi packs instead of jewel cases.