Moving your vinyl.

I am moving across the country in a month. I am only taking my car, so I really don't have a lot of room and wasn't taking that much with me anyway, the uh, "boots" as my Dad said. Right, so he suggested that I just ship books and records later...Don't think I'm into shipping all of my records to myself (costly, and uh fragile?)...so my question is...

Do I just have to buy boxes and throw them in the car, or is there any sort of proven/affordable way to ship them to me separately. I really don't need my pride and joy getting smashed and melted and ruined.

also, I searched for previous topics about this, but couldn't find any, and I know it's been posted before. So, there's that.

Anyway, thanks for any help.

i just moved a whopping three miles and used boxes in the car. i cant imagine with it being summer there any good way to move them via car.

there was a thread a while back about a band who wanted to know about how to take records on tour with them over the summer, you should check that and see what they said.

sal paradise,

i suggest you pack all your records as safe as you can and send ship later.

you may ask some of your best friend for hold 'em and ask for ship 'em after you arrived new place.

anyway,hope all will arrived your new place with safe.

broken records from move in a grand disaster for collector....

I don't know when I'll talk to him next, but my roommate from college worked a few years on Gentle Giant moving company. With all the super-rich people he's moved, I would guess he had moved at least one collection. They pack shit really well (unless you surprise them with a grand piano that wasn't part of the original move.. that gets gerry-rigged to the back of the truck...), so I'll ask him what they do.

When I moved across the country in my car It was a little heartbreaking to realize that I didn't have enough room in my car for my CDs, DVDs, books, and vinyl.

I essentially packed what I really really wanted and then moved with that. I still have a lot of stuff at my parents place that I need to get over here. I didn't want to move it out here until I was sure I was going to stay. Since then I moved from LA to the Bay Area. I am pretty sure I am going to stay here so once I go back to visit my rents, I'm going to start making plans to ship everything to the West Side.

I moved about 200 miles and I just packed my vinyl into boxes and moved them in my car. Definitely wouldnt ship my collection or trust it with someone else. Public Storage makes the perfect size boxes for packing vinyl. Theyre exactly the right size so the records dont move around in the box after it is packed.

Moved from Pittsburgh to SoCal a few years ago in August with serveral hundred records, here's how I did it. I bought boxes from bags unlimited (13x13x13 for the lps) (you could also use big rubbermaid things too) and stuffed them in the back of my trunk and then crammed everything else in front of it. I had a car alarm and made sure to park either directly outside of my room or parked under a light or in front of the hotel office. It's not really the heat you need to worry about, but exposure to direct sunlight. Since they'll be boxed up and in a trunk packed tightly into a box, you shouldn't have any problem.

good for you. It sucks going home to safety harbor/clearwater and seeing high school friends that got stuck there and their lives are pretty shitty. Not that jacksonville is much better, and its not but at least its a change of pace. I have been here about 8 years and hope to make a cross country move in a couple years. i hope to move to portland.

But, good luck to ya!