NHL Discussion

Man tons of carnage from the PITT and BOS game! Saw that a classy slash from Dupuis broke Campbell's ankle.

Kelly's.  

Injuries have been piling up for the Bruins.  Boychuk, McQuaid, Kelly, Ericksson.  Now Dougie Hamilton seems to have been injured in tonight's game against Toronto.  That's three of the six starting defensemen.  

Thorton has an in person hearing which means he's getting no less than 5 games. Neal's hearing is over the phone which means he's not getting anymore than 5 games.  Meanwhile, no hearing for Boucher's hit on Marc Staal. I don't understand this league sometimes. 

no less than 6 games

Kelly's.  

Injuries have been piling up for the Bruins.  Boychuk, McQuaid, Kelly, Ericksson.  Now Dougie Hamilton seems to have been injured in tonight's game against Toronto.  That's three of the six starting defensemen.  

chalk the pens up to crazy numbers of injuries, too.  they've lost a couple D for weeks, a number of forwards and their backup goalie Vokoun has been out since September with a blood clot in his hip

I think the hammer is going to come down hard on Thornton even though he's not really a dirty player at all. Before now he's one of the few multi year enforcers I can think of who haven't been suspended. But it was a bad, bad play and you can tell he regrets it. It will be interesting to see though what the league does, I think he might be used to set the tone for the rest of the year. 

What Neal did was total bullshit too. But it was Neal on Marchand so no one actually cares and he'll get hardly anything. Would love to see the reactions if that was Marchand on Neal/Crosby/Malkin. 

Anyone have a link for whatever Phaneuf did tonight? Missed it but my fantasy hockey group chat is getting lit up. 

I think Thornton gets 20+, and his tears were because his career might be over. No matter what else happened that game, the type of sideshow garbage/all-out-assault will earn a much worse, and deserved, penalty.

As for Phaneuf, I didn't see the hit live but it should earn him a few nights off. How they didn't call a penalty on the original play is a mystery.

http://www.sbnation.com/nhl/2013/12/8/5190548/dion-phaneuf-injures-kevan-miller-with-uncalled-boarding-penalty

Check the comment on the link above - actually pretty funny gif of him taking out Kessel on a line change too.

A few things:

Everyone knows how much I fucking hate that rat bastard Marchand, but James Neal is a fucking scumbag and you cant do that to a defenseless player in that position. That was complete bullshit and he should honestly be suspended 10 games in my eyes. The guy clearly doesnt give a fuck about head injuries (see the time he got suspended from the head shot against philly in the playoffs in 2012...) He straight up targeted and meant to do some damage to Marchand. He's a repeat offender, 5/6 games in my eyes is a slap on the wrist. Because he's a top liner on the Pens and line mates with a superstar he gets off? Its just bullshit how this league works.

Throton idk, I mean I would call that dirty, but from what I saw it didnt look THAT bad. 

The hit on Staal, shouldve been called a penalty at least. Im not looking forward to losing him for a long time now because well, thats how marc staals head works. 

The Rangers made me want to shoot myself the last 2 nights. Went to the game tonight. How do you come out and play that poorly against a division rival starting a guy who has only played 1 NHL game before tonight, and have no energy or feeling like you have something to prove after losing to NJ last night? I dont even think they hit anyone. And speaking of last night, what a bullshit game. Should have never even gone into OT because Janssen kicked it in. I hate that guy, fucking homophobe douche bag. Guys a fucking goon, kicks a goal in and it helps his team win a game. Irritates me so much. 

Yeah Im a little cranky. 2 late nights in Manhattan, 2 NYR losses, and getting snubbed by Mariano Rivera will do that to you.

A few things:

Everyone knows how much I fucking hate that rat bastard Marchand, but James Neal is a fucking scumbag and you cant do that to a defenseless player in that position. That was complete bullshit and he should honestly be suspended 10 games in my eyes. The guy clearly doesnt give a fuck about head injuries (see the time he got suspended from the head shot against philly in the playoffs in 2012...) He straight up targeted and meant to do some damage to Marchand. He's a repeat offender, 5/6 games in my eyes is a slap on the wrist. Because he's a top liner on the Pens and line mates with a superstar he gets off? Its just bullshit how this league works.

Throton idk, I mean I would call that dirty, but from what I saw it didnt look THAT bad.

The hit on Staal, shouldve been called a penalty at least. Im not looking forward to losing him for a long time now because well, thats how marc staals head works.

The Rangers made me want to shoot myself the last 2 nights. Went to the game tonight. How do you come out and play that poorly against a division rival starting a guy who has only played 1 NHL game before tonight, and have no energy or feeling like you have something to prove after losing to NJ last night? I dont even think they hit anyone. And speaking of last night, what a bullshit game. Should have never even gone into OT because Janssen kicked it in. I hate that guy, fucking homophobe douche bag. Guys a fucking goon, kicks a goal in and it helps his team win a game. Irritates me so much.

Yeah Im a little cranky. 2 late nights in Manhattan, 2 NYR losses, and getting snubbed by Mariano Rivera will do that to you.

Thornton wasnt on the ice,his line wasnt on the ice, and he just went over the boards to go at orpik, pulling him to the ice from behind and suckerpunching him in the face. He was defenseless during the entire thing

Thornton wasnt on the ice,his line wasnt on the ice, and he just went over the boards to go at orpik, pulling him to the ice from behind and suckerpunching him in the face. He was defenseless during the entire thing

Be advised I am not at all defending Shawn Thornton here (and am...well, not surprised...but disapointed that a lot of B's fans seem to be), but just want to challenge the him going over the boards and right to Orpik assertion.  If you watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVq-TZ7AJM

...You can see Shawn Thornton was on the ice and Marchand's pass out of the zone before the fall and the Neal hit was right to Thornton.  It looks to me like the Bergeron line was changing for the Campbell line.  The video shows Bergeron skating to the bench and Campbell going on, but then the shit hit the fan and Bergeron stayed on the ice to go to the scrum.  And then Thornton jumped Orpik.  But a leaving the bench type infraction shouldn't factor in to his sure to be lengthy suspension.   

Be advised I am not at all defending Shawn Thornton here (and am...well, not surprised...but disapointed that a lot of B's fans seem to be), but just want to challenge the him going over the boards and right to Orpik assertion.  If you watch this video...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GuVq-TZ7AJM

...You can see Shawn Thornton was on the ice and Marchand's pass out of the zone before the fall and the Neal hit was right to Thornton.  It looks to me like the Bergeron line was changing for the Campbell line.  The video shows Bergeron skating to the bench and Campbell going on, but then the shit hit the fan and Bergeron stayed on the ice to go to the scrum.  And then Thornton jumped Orpik.  But a leaving the bench type infraction shouldn't factor in to his sure to be lengthy suspension.   

thanks for the video, I wasnt aware he was long the wall when Marchand went down.  i'll take back the comment about the bench, but still, the video does show orpik being completely unaware to him coming up to him, got pulled to the ice, and got decked in the face defenseless on the ice.  what neal did sucked (not at all defending his actions, but he and Marchand do have history of cheap shots on each other), and thankfully marchand seems to be okay (havent seen anything about him being out, and he played the rest of the game), but what thornton did was far worse IMO.  

I don't think a purposeful fist to the head is far worse than a purposeful knee to the head. Neal just gets to pretend it was an accident and luckily, (for both guys) there was no injury.

They were both way the fuck out of line and both deserve hefty suspensions. You want to get this shit out of hockey, great. Give them both 20 games for all I care.  I expect he NHL will probably punish the result instead of the intention. I'm not trying to stir shit with you Mike, I don't think either of us are trying to defend the actions if either individual. 

Point being, injury to Brooks aside, they were both really fucking dirty. 

No because he didnt intent to hurt anyone. Just show his opponents that he wasnt going to let players just knee defenseless players in the fucking head by trying to fight someone that you know, usually fights people.

you're kidding right?  did you even BOTHER watching the video?  he PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE MULTIPLE TIMES.  are you blind or something? Orpik has fought 12 times in 600 games.  but you know, he "usually fights people".

:rolleyes:

you're kidding right?  did you even BOTHER watching the video?  he PUNCHED HIM IN THE FACE MULTIPLE TIMES.  are you blind or something? Orpik has fought 12 times in 600 games.  but you know, he "usually fights people".

:rolleyes:

Every Pens/Rangers game Brooks Orpik is usually stiring shit up.You can even tell on the look on Thortons face he didnt want to do that to him. He even said he didnt. Like I said, he was just trying to say "dont take runs at our players"

This has absolutely nothing to do with "fighting". Mugging a player and punching him isn't fighting, it's assault.

Anyways, Neal deserved at least 10. Fuck that piece of shit. Thornton? 10 games is what I think he should get. They're going to come down extremely hard on him though, and I don't think that's fair. I'm sorry but Orpik was already cleared to travel with them team and wasn't injured. The stretcher was overkill and that alone is going to double Thornton's suspension.

Orpik is a piece of shit. Eriksson never even made an attempt to play that puck. Orpik isn't allowed to hit him. It's total bullshit.