NHL Discussion

The results created almost a reversed scenario. If you didn't see the game and I told you to guess who left on a stretcher: the unsuspecting player punched three times by a guy wearing a glove or player who took a blatant knee to the face while already down on the ice I think you would guess the knee. 

I think the knee is by far the dirtier play but Orpik going lights out is the difference here. If Orpik hadn't been knocked out it would have been two minutes for roughing, maybe a double minor but nothing more. If was a dumb move though by Thornton and it just so happens this time it went bad and he will pay for it, hard. We've seen multiple incidents though, and I feel like it's more prevalent recently, of guys not respecting the fight code: no hitting when they're down and when the refs get in there it's over. Last year Read hit someone on the Lightning while he was down and it was responded to by Lecavlier who went out of his way to throw blows while Read went down later in the game. That Shaw/Roussel fight the other night is another great example. The refs got in there for Shaw's own safety, that jersey went over his head and from there Roussel could have dummied him worse than Orpik and yet when let go by Roussel he engaged again, throwing a temper tantrum furry of punches risking hitting both refs. 

Neal's play though was trash, him pretending like it wasn't on purpose is even more disgusting and the little respect I had for that chud is completely gone and it's sad but one day someone will do something along the lines of what Thornton did to him. 

Thornton wasn't going after orpik because of the knee. He went after him because he absolutely crushed Eriksson skating with his head down. Orpik didn't fight Thornton because it was a clean hit. Thornton was pissed and slew footed orpik and sucker punched him into unconsciousness, dude should be gone for at least 25 games. That incident reminded me of the Bertuzzi-Moore incident. An absolutely disgusting move by Thornton.

As for Neal, he should have probably gotten 10+ games. But I'm not surprised he only got 5, because you know, he's a star or something.

The way the league disciplines is a joke, the risk of injury should weigh in more than the result of the action.

Also, I've always said Neal is a scummer.

Nice beatdown on the Habs, that might have been the best game the Kings have played from start to finish this season

That game was incredibly dominant. Fun to watch (unless you're a habs fan) and if both the ducks and kings play the way they did in the past two games, that stadium series is gonna be one hell of a showdown!

not a clean hit.  eriksson doesn't play the puck.  

came here to say this.

Eriksson never touched the puck, his head was down, and Orpik pretty much gave him a John Cena-esque shoulder block.

If Thornton hadn't sent Orpik out on a stretcher (caught him right on the jaw - could happen anytime in any fight no matter the circumstances) we wouldn't even be talking about how "dastardly" and "underhanded" those hits were.

The refs didn't do anything about the Eriksson hit. Fighting exists in the NHL to regulate stuff like this. Thornton is the enforcer. Of course he went too far, but anybody who says they can't imagine how he could have possibly got into that mindset after the Eriksson hit and then after the knee to Marchand's head is lying to themselves.

EDIT: made it sound like I'm defending Thornton. I didn't mean it that way. I just wanted to point out this isn't a black and white issue.

Oh, I know very well the Kings are a good team. I meant to say 'look even better'. I'm dating myself, but I first watched them when Rogie was still playing, and it will be a sad day when Bob Miller retires.

As for Thornton, his actions were a joke and it sure as hell wasn't a 'fight'. Calling it a fight would indicate two willing participants, not a guy who was blindsided and thrown head-first to the ice.

Toronto played better than I thought they would for sure but it again comes down to them being just a rush team. They generate chances that are just mad scrambles and everyone throws the puck at the net. They're rarely in control or in possession and the reason LA could score is they were patient because the other half of being a rush team is the rush usually takes at least one guy out of position. Hence Carter coming down 2 on 1 to win the game. 

Loved every second of it though. 

True, but being 2 points out of 3rd in that division isn't saying much. Just frustrating cause they've had games where they've shown what they're capable of, but these last few weeks have been stinkers.

Regardless, I'm blaming this on my new puppy (his name is Hank). Rangers are 4-6-1 since I got him - bastard.

I was at the Rangers game last night and it was not fun. Possibly Hank's worst performance in net ever. People make excuses from him "Oh, the defense did this wrong" "Oh, that's a hard shot!" "He was screened" yes, these things have all happened, but He's not free from criticism and the truth is he's been playing really half assed this season. I don't think he's dipping off, everyone has a bad season at some point. But If we're going ANYWHERE at all this season, he's gotta right the ship sooner than later. 

That game was incredibly dominant. Fun to watch (unless you're a habs fan) and if both the ducks and kings play the way they did in the past two games, that stadium series is gonna be one hell of a showdown!

ya i'm going and looking forward to it.  lots better to watch two teams that are comparable in this kind of setting rather than two that are completely disparate.

as far as the rangers go, they're one of my favorite teams behind LA and honestly, i can't even really bring myself to cheer for them because i hate alain vigneault thanks to his days with vancouver.  i just can't dissociate the two.  so when they lose as badly as they do, i'm not as disappointed as i used to be.  i can't say i really thought torts was a great coach but i was pretty neutral about him to begin with and his postgame pressers were always so hilarious.  i kind of just wish the rags had hired someone else.