Vinyl budget?

I am completely content with wearing band T-shirts and jeans and using my extra money on records instead of fancy clothing.

this exact issue is a point of contention between my girlfriend and i. shes always trying to get me to buy expensive sneakers or jeans. i get pissed off buying $60 jeans. i dont care whose name is on my clothes.

I bought two pairs of $60 jeans for the first time earlier this year, and one of them has already fallen apart. The $20 pairs I buy at Wal-Mart tend to last forever. Way to go, fancy jeans. Back to cheap, durable shit I go. I'm fat; I have no one to impress.

Guest falloutcollapse

i shop at urban outfitters but thats only because i am a snot nosed kid whose parents buy him things. i know the second i have to start spending my own hard earned money, it is going to music related ventures and not clothing

Guest falloutcollapse

i would just wear band tshirts and stuff, but in my high school, every single person has them. most of them haven't even seen the bands. it's almost gotten to the point to where they haven't even heard the bands/knew they were band shirts. it's ridiculous. i do get a shirt at almost every show i go to if it's on american apparel. thats the only brand that doesn't it awkwardly on me

does anyone else ever think like this?

Say you go out to dinner and drinks with your old lady/man and the bill is like 50 bucks and you just think to yourself. wow i could of eaten a pb&j at the house and gotten the alkaline trio/smoking popes 7" off ebay.

maybe its just me...

I was just thinking that today! I realized that supper last night cost me Radical Face- Ghost and it was fairly depressing.

my whole logic in purchasing vinyl is this is my hobby and everyones gotta have a hobby. i dont spend my money on anything else really. im a simple dude, i wear band shirts and jeans. some people spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on video games, cell phones, designer clothing, etc. and i think my spending on vinyl pales in comparison to those people. plus, if i dont buy the records i want what else am i gonna spend my money on?

the whole money thing to me is just a spend some, save some logic. enjoy yourself but dont be ridiculous/stupid about it.

Im a t-shirt and jeans kind of guy too. Pretty much every piece of clothing I wear that isn't is purchased by my wife, who tricked me into a pair of new sneakers this weekend. We don't go out to eat much, I bring my lunch to work everyday. The only thing I buy for myself is vinyl (and cigarettes). The whole point of my budget is to stash the money that I would spend on vinyl away to buy a house. I'm tired of pouring money into the toilet of rent and getting no equity in return.

does anyone else ever think like this?

Say you go out to dinner and drinks with your old lady/man and the bill is like 50 bucks and you just think to yourself. wow i could of eaten a pb&j at the house and gotten the alkaline trio/smoking popes 7" off ebay.

maybe its just me...

I was just thinking that today! I realized that supper last night cost me Radical Face- Ghost and it was fairly depressing.

That might be the sexiest thing ever said by a lady.

my whole logic in purchasing vinyl is this is my hobby and everyones gotta have a hobby. i dont spend my money on anything else really. im a simple dude, i wear band shirts and jeans. some people spend hundreds (if not thousands) of dollars on video games, cell phones, designer clothing, etc. and i think my spending on vinyl pales in comparison to those people. plus, if i dont buy the records i want what else am i gonna spend my money on?

the whole money thing to me is just a spend some, save some logic. enjoy yourself but dont be ridiculous/stupid about it.

Yeah its very true, and just think you cant sell a pair of used jeans or a used dress shirt for as much as you can get for a propagandhi - todays empires on red vinyl.

I have now changed my mind and consider my collecting as investing.

If I had $100 to spend on vinyl every month I think I would probably die. That would make me so happy. As it is I get to buy vinyl randomly when I just happen to have enough which means that I constantly miss out of getting a copy of whatever it is I want. Example: I'm a huge Strike Anywhere fan and I wasn't able to get Dead FM on color when it came out. So since I wasn't able to spare $15 at the time if I now want to get the same record I have to spend at least twice as much as I would have if i could have just gotten it when it came out. I spent about $50 on vinyl this past week and now i'm like "fuck I'm not so sure i should have done that. Did I really need that poison the well vinyl?"

If I had $100 to spend on vinyl every month I think I would probably die. That would make me so happy. As it is I get to buy vinyl randomly when I just happen to have enough which means that I constantly miss out of getting a copy of whatever it is I want. Example: I'm a huge Strike Anywhere fan and I wasn't able to get Dead FM on color when it came out. So since I wasn't able to spare $15 at the time if I now want to get the same record I have to spend at least twice as much as I would have if i could have just gotten it when it came out. I spent about $50 on vinyl this past week and now i'm like "fuck I'm not so sure i should have done that. Did I really need that poison the well vinyl?"

I have the strike anywhere dead fm on color, do you have a trade list?

• 8 years later...

Just dug up this old thread as I'm looking at setting vinyl budget myself. Or, should I say as in the OP, my girlfriend/domestic-partner/might-as-well-be-wife is suggesting it. We've had "the vinyl talk" several times, especially when she went back to school last fall and is now looking for a job, but the budget word had not come up until yesterday. I had thought about it myself, as I just tend to spend whatever is available until I feel I'm overdoing it, but hadn't thought about a number to try to stick to. As we all know, you can never predict how many albums you'll want to buy in a month - new or old, or how much they'll cost and how many you'll be able to get for a certain monthly amount. But hey, that's the point of a budget, to make you think harder about purchases and control the habit. 

Anyhow, as we were talking she threw out the question "given 2 seconds to answer, what's your first guess as to a reasonable monthly budget?" to which I quickly replied $200! That was a lot. She suggested maybe $100, or 4 albums per month. Right away I thought about OOP purchases and shipping, which could easily turn that $100 into just 2 albums. But when thinking about 4 albums per month, it's really not that bad. One per week. Sounds reasonable. But what do I currently spend? I don't have an accurate number, but I'm sure it's upwards of 8 per month with varying cost. Likely $200-300. 

It needs to get under control, for sure. I'm just scared of putting a number on it. Also I'm tired of smuggling records into the house.  :lol:  I've had 3 sitting on my desk at work for a week and just put 3 more there. I'll be able to bring all 6 home tomorrow when she's out of town for a week. 

Just dug up this old thread as I'm looking at setting vinyl budget myself. Or, should I say as in the OP, my girlfriend/domestic-partner/might-as-well-be-wife is suggesting it. We've had "the vinyl talk" several times, especially when she went back to school last fall and is now looking for a job, but the budget word had not come up until yesterday. I had thought about it myself, as I just tend to spend whatever is available until I feel I'm overdoing it, but hadn't thought about a number to try to stick to. As we all know, you can never predict how many albums you'll want to buy in a month - new or old, or how much they'll cost and how many you'll be able to get for a certain monthly amount. But hey, that's the point of a budget, to make you think harder about purchases and control the habit.

Anyhow, as we were talking she threw out the question "given 2 seconds to answer, what's your first guess as to a reasonable monthly budget?" to which I quickly replied $200! That was a lot. She suggested maybe $100, or 4 albums per month. Right away I thought about OOP purchases and shipping, which could easily turn that $100 into just 2 albums. But when thinking about 4 albums per month, it's really not that bad. One per week. Sounds reasonable. But what do I currently spend? I don't have an accurate number, but I'm sure it's upwards of 8 per month with varying cost. Likely $200-300.

It needs to get under control, for sure. I'm just scared of putting a number on it. Also I'm tired of smuggling records into the house. :lol: I've had 3 sitting on my desk at work for a week and just put 3 more there. I'll be able to bring all 6 home tomorrow when she's out of town for a week.

I wish I could give you advice, but I just kind of spend and *hope* my wife doesn't serve me divorce papers. I have a nice load of debt, but honestly the most expensive part was the house to keep my vinyl in. Hopefully you find a number, but it's tough, man. I know albums drop randomly and sometimes concerts/ books/ etc. gets lumped in there too. All I can say is good luck and carry over the remainder on "under months".

I keep my purchases separate from "our" accounts. Both our pay checks go into our main account where we pay all our bills and stuff. We both have a monthly allowance to our individual accounts. If I have debt it is mine to worry about and it is on a credit card that has no ties to my wife. If I have debt...which I do, I need to figure out creative ways to pay it off (turning tricks, etc.)

She doesn't need to worry about it and doesn't care to hear about it.