Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I just got a package from Disc-Empyre. They have many NOFX records listed as new and colored. I sent an email asking if they were really colored but didn't get response so I took a chance. So the package was really well secured (a box inside another box) but the records are just standard black vinyl. They say they have no way of telling if the records are colored or not and that the UPC code is right for the colored version. Now I have to ship them back and they better refund my shipping. What a bunch of amateurs. They have a weird website too so don't deal with them!!!

I know this isn't a label but I randomly remembered an experience from when I first started collecting years ago.

I won an eBay auction from a seller named "metalpinss" for In Flames "Tokyo Showdown" for like $25. The auction said the record was 'Brand New! Still sealed!"

When I got in the mail not only was it not new or sealed, it looked like someone had backed over it with a truck. If I didn't know what the album cover was supposed to look like I wouldn't have recognized the artwork. I cannot stress how torn up and beat to shit this record sleeve was. The record itself was scratched up and beat to hell.

I messaged the seller about it expecting an easy refund but the guy said, "If you send it back we will mail you a refund minus the shipping costs." They also insisted that the record was new/still sealed when they sent it and demanded I emailed them a picture of the record. Even when I did they refused to believe that this was anything but mishandling in shipment. As if the plastic seal not only broke but disappeared magically.

I refused to accept a refund minus shipping costs which would have totalled $10 back and forth and I left them a negative feedback. They in turn left me the only negative feedback I've ever received on ebay.

"leave a bad feedback lying about bad packaginf the vinyl was well packaged"

Unreal.

I bought the Nick 13 S/T LP direct from his website recently, and the record arrived all banged up after a half assed effort for packing.

I've sent two emails, and the only response I've had from Cinderblock is the automated response saying 'thanks for your email, we'll respond promptly' or whatever.

Could someone tell me what they think of this? I don't want to out the label because I like them but this seems ridiculous to me:

I bought a 7" during a Black Friday sale and shipping was $6.99. Shipping to Canada is generally expensive so I didn't really care. When I got the 7" the shipping label was for $3.20. When I messaged them the response was:

"That 6.99 is meant to cover the shipping cost, supply (mailer, tape, etc.), and the paypal charge."

Is it normal for labels to charge for supplies and paypal charges? This is the first time I've come across the shipping charge being significantly more (more than double!) than the actual cost of the shipping.

Could someone tell me what they think of this? I don't want to out the label because I like them but this seems ridiculous to me:

I bought a 7" during a Black Friday sale and shipping was $6.99. Shipping to Canada is generally expensive so I didn't really care. When I got the 7" the shipping label was for $3.20. When I messaged them the response was:

"That 6.99 is meant to cover the shipping cost, supply (mailer, tape, etc.), and the paypal charge."

Is it normal for labels to charge for supplies and paypal charges? This is the first time I've come across the shipping charge being significantly more (more than double!) than the actual cost of the shipping.

Apparently you have never ordered anything from Blue Collar Distro or this would be familiar to you.

While it sucks that they doubled actual cost of shipping, it isn't out of the ordinary. Shipping and "handling" fees have been around as long as the practice of mail order itself. Labels do need to buy mailers, tape, and pay someone to take the packages to the PO and they do this to recoup those expenses. Hell even No Idea dings you for a paypal fee if you pay them that way, though their base shipping prices are a lot more reasonable.

Chalk it up to the price of doing business from your couch if you don't want to go out to a brick and mortar store to buy the records. Also if you feel like it's a ripoff you could always take your business elsewhere.

One of the reasons I now avoid ordering from blue collar is the high shipping prices.

HYBY118223D1 At night when I look at Boris' goatee lying on the pillow I get hysterical. O Tania, Uggs Clearance Sale where now is that warm cunt of yours, those fat, heavy garters, those soft, bulging thighs? There is a bone in my Discount Uggs Boots prick six inches long. I will ream out every wrinkle in your cunt, Tania, big with seed. I will send you home New Uggs to your Sylvester with an ache in your belly and your womb turned inside out. Your Sylvester! Yes, Short Uggs he knows how to build a fire, but I know how to inflame a cunt. I shoot hot bolts into you, Tall Uggs Tania, I make your ovaries incandescent. Your Sylvester is a little jealous now? He feels something, does he? He feels the remnants of my big prick. I have set the shores a little wider. I have ironed out the wrinkles. After me you can take on stallions, bulls, rams, drakes, St. Bernards. You can stuff toads, bats, lizards up your rectum. You can shit arpeggios if you like, or string a zither across your navel. I am fucking you, Tania, so that Uggs Paisley Boots 5831 For Women you'll stay fucked. And if you are afraid of being fucked publicly I will fuck you privately. I will tear off a few hairs from your cunt and paste them on Boris' canada goose jackets chin. I will bite into your clitoris and spit out two franc pieces…

HahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahahaHahahahahahahahahaha!

This is the absolute best spam post ever.

HYBY118223D1 At night when I look at Boris' goatee lying on the pillow I get hysterical. O Tania, Uggs Clearance Sale where now is that warm cunt of yours, those fat, heavy garters, those soft, bulging thighs? There is a bone in my Discount Uggs Boots prick six inches long. I will ream out every wrinkle in your cunt, Tania, big with seed. I will send you home New Uggs to your Sylvester with an ache in your belly and your womb turned inside out. Your Sylvester! Yes, Short Uggs he knows how to build a fire, but I know how to inflame a cunt. I shoot hot bolts into you, Tall Uggs Tania, I make your ovaries incandescent. Your Sylvester is a little jealous now? He feels something, does he? He feels the remnants of my big prick. I have set the shores a little wider. I have ironed out the wrinkles. After me you can take on stallions, bulls, rams, drakes, St. Bernards. You can stuff toads, bats, lizards up your rectum. You can shit arpeggios if you like, or string a zither across your navel. I am fucking you, Tania, so that Uggs Paisley Boots 5831 For Women you'll stay fucked. And if you are afraid of being fucked publicly I will fuck you privately. I will tear off a few hairs from your cunt and paste them on Boris' canada goose jackets chin. I will bite into your clitoris and spit out two franc pieces…

I knew I'd read this before: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tropic_of_Cancer_%28novel%29#Characters

^ Read the Tania bit. Fucking weird spam here, I think one of their other posts is from Tropic of Cancer too. Maybe next I can start reading spam from 1984 or Lord of the Rings.

99% of stores and labels tack on extra for shipping supplies and sometimes paypal fees. Still, that doesn't justify it being double the actual amount

Yeah I figured they might charge a bit more, but I thought the price they charged in comparison to the actual cost seemed a bit much. I'll just chalk this up to 'too bad for me." I'll probably still end up ordering from that label in the future anyway. Thanks for the responses guys.

shopradiocast: ordered iron chic - not like this (yellow 3rd press)

waited a couple weeks and hadn't received it, emailed them and received a quick reply letting me know that the record had been damaged at the post office and returned to them. they apologized and informed me that they were sold out of the yellow copies but they were going to send me a first press black copy that they had been keeping for themselves. pretty outstanding service in my opinion!

Amoeba's online store is awesome. Bought a bunch of rare stuff from them and they were super helpful.

Reckless are also great, however if you're ordering from overseas they won't tell you how much shipping costs you UNTIL they charge you. They estimate it after you make your order and then just charge you whatever it costs. It'll just appear out of nowhere. So although they're great, this part is pretty shit.

Not having much luck with The Icarus Line shop. Paid for 2 LPs and a 7" in April, have received one LP and the 7", still yet to receive the second LP. Nine months later. I've received nothing in the way of updates from them - only one or two empty promise responses from my enquiries. No record, no refund - as of yet.

I just got a package from Disc-Empyre. They have many NOFX records listed as new and colored. I sent an email asking if they were really colored but didn't get response so I took a chance. So the package was really well secured (a box inside another box) but the records are just standard black vinyl. They say they have no way of telling if the records are colored or not and that the UPC code is right for the colored version. Now I have to ship them back and they better refund my shipping. What a bunch of amateurs. They have a weird website too so don't deal with them!!!

Update : After a PayPal claim, PayPal asked me to ship the records back with a tracking number to France of all places even thought my order shipped from California. That would cost more than the order itself so I'm shit out of luck. I lost $40.

DON'T DEAL WITH DISCEMPYRE.com, they don't know what they're doing and don't know much about vinyl.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?