Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?

I've lurked this place for so long but thought it was time to make an account to post in here.

Good

Vitriol Records - Justin, who runs it, is super nice and responds to every email as soon as he can. Only problem is he ships records inside the covers so I almost always get them with a little spine damage. :(

No Sleep Records - Again, I'll always get a quick reply to enquiries. Recently received an order that, due to rain damage, the record sleeves had stuck together during transit. Since one was a test press and the other was a preorder I asked if they had any spare sleeves. They didn't but Chris offered to sell me two regular LP's for a good price to replace the covers.

Throatruiner Records - Matthias has been such a great dude to deal with and always includes little extras in anything I've bought from there. Ships really quick and everything's packaged safely.

City Of Gold Records - Nice little label, cheap prices/shipping and quick replies to enquiries.

Bad

6131 - Pre-ordered Swamp Thing's "In Shame" LP and something else, never got it, and the replies were always dodgy. Didn't offer to give my money back or anything.

Aural Exploits - absolute worst. records were beat up pretty good and they also messed up the order for which it took over 3 months to get a refund.

Give me my avatar back!

Anyway, No Sleep kicks serious ass. I just got my Balance & Composure LP. They packed it with bubble wrap on both sides and threw in a poster as well as 2 pins. Seriously impressed.

Only ordered with SRC once so far and my order went missing in the mail. But they ended up sending out everything again so that was awesome.

I recently had a little bit of a issue with SRC. But Danny was very cool about everything.

I pre-ordered the new Dropkick album along with Lucero - Nobodys Darlings. Once my package arrived my order had accidentally been switched with another customers and i received the new Radiohead. Danny immediately put in a request for my correct order to be shipped out and sent me a RS label for the misshiped item. A few days later i received a USPS tracking # for my correct order, but then it sat with no movement for almost 20 days. Emailed a few times and the entire time Danny was super cool, gave me a promo code for 10% off. Finally after a while i inquired again and it turned out they were out of the Lucero album and the package never shipped, he swapped out the Lucero album for A Day To Remember - Homesick and gave me a $5 credit on my account. Got my package a couple days later.

Definitely don't want to seem like i'm complaining cause Danny was super cool about everything during the whole process and i work in the online shopping business and understand mistakes happen occasionally. But it was a long process, i just ordered the Deftones - Adrenaline pre-order w/ the discount code and credit to my account which took a nice lil chunk off which made me happy.

I have a pending order though through Dine Alone which looks like is run by Shop Radio Cast that has been Awaiting Fulfillment for 11 days now w/ no returned emails on shipping confirmation.

Good:

Hot Topic

Amazon/marketplace (wasteful packaging but I haven't had anything damaged or missing)

Interpunk

No Idea (just gotta be patient)

Molsook (fast shipping from VA to NY plus got a free copy of the Litany for the Whale 12")

Hastings (ordered five records through Amazon, one was a CD which got refunded. All in all I paid $24 for four records priced around $20 each normally)

Rok Lok

Okay:

VC (first order was great, second order took multiple months and emails to get to me)

Can't say I've had any horror stories (knock on wood) about any mailorder. When I've had a problem it's gotten fixed relatively quickly.

Anyone have contact info for nerd alert that they will actually answer?

Edit: Nevermind. (It helps to be a paypal top customer apparently.)

I just keep reading a bunch of crap about them online and I didnt want to get screwed, sent 2 emails, got nothing and the transaction was never even received (money just in limbo i guess). I guess i've ordered multiple times according to my account but definetly wont again.

Ride The Fury (RTF) the dude has completely quit responding to my emails. I've been waiting 2 months (roughly) for something he said he sent out and then said he would send out again. Obviously I'm not getting my second order from him that I had placed 2 days after the original. Nearly a dozen emails later he's quit responding. Dick move.

Continues to be amazing:

A389

Deathwish

Closed Casket Activities

Hellfish

Robotic Empire

Cowabunga

One of the best I've dealt with is Vacation Vinyl. Dude really went out of his way in making sure I was able to get a copy of the Cave In - White Silence cassette. Going above and beyond for a customer the way he did is much appreciated and very rare these days. I need to take a trip to their retail store one of these days.

I finally got my order from Paper + Plastik. I guess when I ordered though I still lived with my parents so it's in another city. There was a note in the package saying that they still don't have the sleeves for Rust Belt Lights, so they'll ship that record when they get the sleeves. How the fuck does a label like this even operate? I just don't get it.

One of the best I've dealt with is Vacation Vinyl. Dude really went out of his way in making sure I was able to get a copy of the Cave In - White Silence cassette. Going above and beyond for a customer the way he did is much appreciated and very rare these days. I need to take a trip to their retail store one of these days.

Pete Majors runs the Vacation Vinyl store in Silverlake. He worked for Amoeba before working for Vaca. There's a write up in the LA Weekly in the May 20-26th issue RE: how Mark Thompson met Pete Majors. Pete's a great guy and is in a few bands himself (Harrassor and another side project I forget the name @ the moment). I also bought a white silence cassette (#7/130). Purchased the White and Orange vinyl of White Silence as well on pre-release day. Plus they have in-stores of bands playing live in there. I've recorded a few sets: Black Cobra, Aseethe, Vessel I, Black Breath, Torche, Aeges, and others... (audio bootlegs). Anyways, enuff rant...

Oh boy, great thread. I feel like a lot of these guys need to take a look at their SEO, as I always struggle to find anything when I search. But, this thread has sorted me out nicely.

Props for:

Interpunk (paying import duties is part of life, I guess, and their catalogue is all but unbeatable)

Polyvinyl (always quick, friendly, often enclose cute free stuff, altho not as much as they used to...I remember once I got a bunch of candy and a toy soldier...)

Norman Records (site's a little bland and clunky, but service is basically exceptional, and a great catalogue)

Jealous Butcher (order has only just shipped but I emailed them because I'd put the wrong shipping address, and they said they'd change it for me, then they plum forgot, but they were totally neat about it and even offered to send another out right away. Niceness.)

Badwise, not really had any. As previously mentioned somewhere on this thread, selling vinyl online tends to be done by passionate committed people who know the kind of service and quality that people want and expect, and know that providing it will keep them in business and buy them repeat custom. Which is great, because not a lot of other products seem to inspire that level of commitment any more.

I finally got my order from Paper + Plastik. I guess when I ordered though I still lived with my parents so it's in another city. There was a note in the package saying that they still don't have the sleeves for Rust Belt Lights, so they'll ship that record when they get the sleeves. How the fuck does a label like this even operate? I just don't get it.

Wow. Fuck man. Thanks for the heads up! Now I won't be so pissed when I finally get my fucking order that Rust Belt Lights isn't in there. Fuck this. Paper + Plastick really needs to stop being a label!

I have mixed experience with Pendu Sound Recordings. First time i ordered a record everything went fine. A bit more than a year ago I made a preorder and still haven't received the record. E-mailed the guy numerous times, he said he will send it, but apparently he never did that - and now the record is sold out. Fucker...

that's because Todd Brooks is a total piece of shit. (owner of the label)

Well, I decided to hassle him till death, and guess what - the record appeared in my mailbox recently.

Good:

Hobbledehoy Records - Tom rules and everything ships super fast and is packaged well.

Mightier Than Sword - Only dealt with them once. They missed an LP out of my order and got it to me within a week and I'm on the other side of the world.

Side One Dummy - sent me the wrong Title Fight colour, emailed me back straight away and got the right one to me quickly.

Reaper Records - I ordered a Terror record off them once and got it six days later. It was a pre-order too. Impressed.

Resist Records - Graham is really nice and shipping is really fast.

Topshelf Records - They just rule in every way.

Bad:

I've been pretty lucky and haven't had any bad experiences. Even my RFC stuff gets to me pretty much on time.

Ordered from Graveface on Saturday, and received the records on Tuesday. Pretty amazing. I can't locate the hand numbering on So I Ate Myself Bite by Bite. Anyone that has that one help me out?

I'm pretty sure the number should just be on the plastic sleeve. BUT - if you just ordered it, then I think you got what is a second run of the record, and I suspect maybe he isn't numbering them at all anymore.

Ordered from Graveface on Saturday, and received the records on Tuesday. Pretty amazing. I can't locate the hand numbering on So I Ate Myself Bite by Bite. Anyone that has that one help me out?

I'm pretty sure the number should just be on the plastic sleeve. BUT - if you just ordered it, then I think you got what is a second run of the record, and I suspect maybe he isn't numbering them at all anymore.

Thanks for the info. Yeah, I can't find a number on it anywhere. I love the album and the picture disc is extremely cool, but if it has a sticker on it saying its hand numbered, then it should be.

Good Experience:

No Idea

Deathwish

SideOneDummy

On The Wall:

Paper + Plastick - I'm on the same boat as everyone, still waiting for preorders, specifically Red City Radio, now regretting not asking for my other records to ship separately. Still, if Susannah kept her promise and got me that spare copy of End Measured Mile on Creamsicle colored vinyl like she told me, then it will be worth the wait. I'm worried though, I checked back on the link in my order email and it says shipped, but I have yet to receive a shipment confirmation email like I did for my coffee cup. I didn't get my button in that order either. And no response yet from emails sent...

Should I buy that Arteries record from them? I really don't know anymore. I'm very patient but even I have limits.

• jhulud changed the title to Best/Worst Customer Service from a Distro/Label?