+/- about your day

+Only a 6 hour shift today

+Listening to the new Sin Orden LP

+Clean laundry!!!

+Getting my new pre-amp in the mail

+Getting paid at midnight (and ordering the new Propagandhi, Codeine and Pedro the Lion represses)

-I only spelt 4 hours

-It's 88 degrees outside w/ %58 humidity and I don't have A/C

-Gonna have Ramen again for lunch. Ha

-I still have another week of work till I go on vacation

+ My coaching starts up again tomorrow morning with our first practice of the 2012-2013 hockey season.

+ My birthday is tomorrow, 26 years old.

- I'll probably spend it visiting my mom in the hospital after practice.

- I thought for sure by age 26 I'd have a career and be close to engaged and on my way to having a family and being an adult. Instead I live in my mom's house and have become kind of a depressed, secluded loser. (Not really, I have a lot of friends and am out of the house every day for one reason or another, but I feel distant anyway.)

+ Got a ton of sleep last night and napped a little this afternoon (awesome because I was stressed with work and having problems sleeping this week)

+ My dogs are still sleeping which means I get to be lazy and lay in bed for a little longer

+ Going to Amoeba in a few... And got a gift certificate for my birthday, so will actually be able to buy something

+ Registered for Fall classes to work towards a BSA certificate today

- It's been 7 years since I graduated from college, so nervous about how I'll do in my classes

- After Amoeba, will be going to a political comedy show where I will probably not understand any of the jokes

- I just read that hobohunter48 is watching Little Rascals, and I'm overcome with jealousy

-macbook is being a pain in the ass.. need to have the trackpad replaced. its under warranty, but itll probably take 2 days to fix.

-still havent made a nickel at this job. and this is my 4th week.

-still in the "moving back in with my parents" phase. its not that i mind coming back home, but the move is just a pain in the ass.

+the last week or so, ive been seeing a lot more of friends who id disconnected with over the last couple years.

- Was really excited to try a restaurant my boss highly recommended... Got there early (5 pm) to try and avoid a long wait... And was told it was at least an hour and 45 minute wait. Don't have that kind of patience, so didn't eat there

- Quit smoking 4 months ago... For some reason the cravings are killing me today.

- Was looking forward to going to the driving range this morning, but ended up not having time

+ Washed all the clothes that was piled up in my room, so I felt super productive / - Tomorrow I'll have to fold and hang up the clothes (3 loads worth)

+ A friend recorded The Horrible Crowes' concert, and I got to watch it while eating really good pizza at her house today

+ Get to wear jeans and tennis shoes to work all this week (so jealous of people that get to do that all the time)

+ My parents moved to Hong Kong earlier this year and my older brother and his wife will be visiting them around Christmas, but I can't afford it. Talked to my brother today and he and my parents are splitting the cost of my plane ticket! Excited to spend some time with my brother (who I don't get to see often) and it'll be my first time in Hong Kong!

*Edit- it sound like I'm only excited to hang out with my brother and that I hate my parents... Haha! Excited to hang out with them too.

- Student had a seizure in class today... kinda crazy. I know what to do and how to react, but when it actually happens it's intense.

+ Luckily it was a small one.. I don't even know if it lasted 10 seconds, and another student caught her before she went down out of her chair, and she was conscious and alert before I even got over there.

- My mom's having a rough day in the hospital... lots of tests and while they were moving her, a lazy nurse got her IV line snagged on something and yanked it out, so now she needs a new one. While she sits waiting, she's not getting her IV antibiotics and she really can't afford to give infections a chance to grab a new foot-hold.

+ I'm going to this "beer-drinking hockey fan" focus group tonight where I get a free dinner, free beer, and a free hockey jersey. Woooo!

+ Picked up a shift tomorrow at work which normally wouldn't be a good thing but...

- They've been cutting hours heavily at work so I've had little hours the past 3 weeks

+ Tomorrow I'm seeing Dowsing and I'm super stoked about it.

- This good looking girl that's into me invited me to a party at her house where she'll be getting drunk, but I'm tired and don't want to be around people or alcohol (I don't drink) and it's making me feel shitty for making stupid excuses to her as to why I'm not going to be going.

- I've realized that I talk more about some stuff in my life in this thread than I do to actual people in my life.

It's a whole varying level of +'s and -'s so it'll just be a paragraph..

My mom is being transferred from Roswell Park in Buffalo to Dana Farber in Boston via ambulance tomorrow. It's probably a good thing bc the treatment we've seen at Roswell is brutal with all kinds of mistakes and careless errors, but travelling across 8 hours of road is always rough, especially when you've got a weak and vulnerable patient as the cargo. The whole thing has made for an incredibly stressful day. My brother, shocker, doesn't answer his phone and my sister has a lot of shit going on before she goes away to college in a week, so it leaves me to ride with my mom for the 8+ hours, including bed-pan changes and all. It's always stressful dealing with a sick family member, but I'm 26 and my friends are dealing with super-trivial things all the time. Hanging out with them becomes something between demoralizing because they have it a lot better than me and envious because they're in their early-mid 20's with a focus on fun or early family or something. How the fuck do I have a girlfriend or a family or friends while I'm dealing with my dying mother? I get legitimately angry that their issues are so petty compared to the bullshit I deal with and its absolutely unfair but I can't help feeling the way I do. No one I know has such a dysfunctional family, then you throw in a life-threatening disease and I'm absolutely on my own. I have such a hard time relating to anyone I know that I grow a disdain for them and it's not fair. I don't know how to handle any of this, and I feel like I'm turning friends away by shutting them out. It all sucks. I've grown so distant from everyone I know and I can't help but watch myself drift further away.

+/-/? My last gf is preggo. The reason we didn't make it is that she wanted kids, and I said that's ridiculous bc we're 25 (me at the time) and 22 (her) and neither one of us has a real, solid full-time job to afford that. Here we are 4 months later and she trapped some guy from an hour-ish away. It's probably good I got away.

- The new girl I've been talking to is going to Cambodia/Vietnam/Thailand for a month in a few weeks.

- Life is frustrating.

My last week:

+ Got engaged

+ Getting married december 15th of this year

+ My bosses are in the process of making me a partner in the screen printing business I've been at for 5 years now (My pay would almost double and full benefits)

+ Started jamming with a band I've hardly played for in a while for Toronto Riot Fest in September and it's been going great

+ Well on my way to finishing a full length for my other band

- Trying to plan a wedding in 4 months is a bit stressful

- 50 hour work weeks since early June

- Dealing with my fiancee's family in terms of the wedding (my dad legitimately offered us $10 000 to leave the country and get married somewhere else and not have a wedding, my fiancee said no. I wish more than anything we took it.)

- The wedding has put a serious damper on me completing my goal of being debt free by the end of the year (which I almost was) but fuck it, totally worth it.

- I feel the need to rant and have no where else, so... it's so utterly demoralizing being a teacher and being unappreciated. I get it, everyone wants to be patted on the back sometimes, but teaching is arguably your most important profession. Who in their right mind wants to be a teacher when every politician and public conversation bashes the fuck out of your job?

(everything in today's $$)

In NYS, I cannot teach if I don't have my master's degree. My district pays well, and the starting salary is just over $35,000 + benefits that we used to only pay 3% of, now we pay 7%. Oh! I can feel your outrage already. How dare they only pay 7%?! With my education level (a BA from Syracuse University and an Ed.M from SUNY Buffalo) I could start a job tomorrow and fully expect to make in the upper $60k's (average private sector starting salary for that edu). I could rocket up to over $100,000 in less than a decade and if I suck stay around that pay, but if I'm good, be easily over $200,000 before I retire, if I don't find a way to make billions somehow. Sure, I'd have to pay somewhere around half my benefit package, but with the extra $30,000 in my first year, I think I could afford it. But I chose to be a teacher. I'll start at $35,000 and then the year after that I'll make $38,000 and in a decade I'll make ~$60,000. I'll retire making ~$103,000 assuming I keep coaching in my three highest paying years (which coaching, hourly, works out to be ~$2 an hour for lightest workloads... those JV football coaches who do film for varsity? they're making pennies on the dollar for how much work they do).

So the grand take-away: unless you want to pay teachers nearly 2x the salary, SHUT THE FUCK UP about our fucking benefits. Seriously.

Thank you! It's nice to know there's good, intelligent people left in the country. It means we're not TOTAL failures of a profession, right? Or I guess it can be said that we just filled your mind with our pro-teacher propaganda.

But I've been fired up about this the last 3 days or so because my district is closing one of our elementary schools for the 2013-14 school year and in every public debate, "personnel costs" are to blame for why we're in this mess! They think it's the 24 teachers in that building that are making too much money and have too expensive of benefits are sinking us. The school closing saves $2.5 million, ~90% of which is personnel costs. They forget that there is 24 teachers ALONG WITH a principal, a vice principal for some reason, janitors, secretaries, a school nurse, cafeteria staff... but fuck those teachers and their cushy jobs!

And you're right, the long-term implications of bashing the fuck out of teachers and ruining education is going to be brutal. Cutting edu funding lowers the quality of the education which in the long term decimates our ability to think, innovate, produce, and expand as a culture. We'll be financially worse off for not investing in our children, but we must balance that deficit TODAY, right Paul Ryan?

My second grand take-away, if you vote for Romney, you're a fucking moron. Balancing a budget in a down year is a stupid fucking idea with absolutely horrible long-term impacts. Not that Obama will save the day, but at least he'll minimize the damage.

I think that there is a valid argument to be made about the overpayment of some teachers, especially those who are tenured. I can absolutely see an argument about cutting ineffective personal. So on some level, I can also empathize with those who favor the idea of privatization. In my education, and not getting the behind the scenes, there were plenty of people drawing salaries who were adding no value to the system in which they were employed.

The problem, as I see it, is that demand vastly outweighs the supply here. There are way too many kids and not enough teachers, so we aren't really in a position to be making these demands. Either stop fucking irresponsibly, or start doing something to attract talent back into the teaching profession.

Look, we've taken what should be considered a noble profession, and turned it into something else. No one wants to be a fucking teacher, and who could blame them. We pay them shit, we constantly bitch about the little they do get and they have to deal with our shitty entitled kids all day.

EDIT: By the way, this is a terrible place for this discussion. Let's move it to a thread or PMs.