The Walking Dead

mcm1610

I like how the writers are flipping the sides back and forth from the source material. Makes it way harder to predict for those of us who've read the comics - seeing Tyreese meeting with Governor in an amicable manner versus how they'd originally met in the comics is really interesting - it'll be cool to see if Ty stays pitted against Rick for very long. Also interesting to see the group treating Andrea with such hostility. Anyone notice the likely intentional repeat motif of Merle opening the gate for Andrea to leave the prison in the same way that he opened them to let her leave Woodbury? Despite the lack of action, I thought last night's episode was great. Maybe it's because of Mad Men and Breaking Bad, where the structure is largely dialogue based, but I like the slower episodes where they're hashing everything out and strategizing. In the case of Andrea and Merle's personal arcs, I think redemption is coming.

Yeah I agree Kriss. They do best when they don't linger on the character stuff, but also treat it as a series as opposed to contained episodic arcs. Last night sort of shared the load well. I don't know the source material, but did Tyrese and Rick meet at the prison in the comics? I was under the impression that he was a character prior to that in the books. 

If you can't answer it without spoilers PM me, or maybe put it in a spoiler tag. Don't want to ruin it for those who want complete independence from the comics. 

EDIT: Read the Comic Wiki. Nevermind!

I don't think it really spoils it - can delete if so. They meet while on the road and then discover the prison together. Essentially, Tyreese is Rick's right hand man for a spell, filling the role that Daryl seems to fill in the show. That to me is why this change in the show's writing is so interesting. I can understand why some more serious comic adherents wouldn't like it, but I think the change is great. Keeps us guessing.

started watching a month ago, watched season 1 and 2 in a matter of a week and got caught up with the current season just before it returned.  long story short, love the show, however; i'm hoping they didn't abandon the plot line with Morgan and Duane Jones.  I don't think Rick has spoken either of their names since season 2.  I really thought they would be in the gated community or (for a second) i thought that was the man on the phone with Rick (before we realized he was having a freak out).  

can't wait for whenever they do (or one of them makes their return). it will be very rewarding.

started watching a month ago, watched season 1 and 2 in a matter of a week and got caught up with the current season just before it returned.  long story short, love the show, however; i'm hoping they didn't abandon the plot line with Morgan and Duane Jones.  I don't think Rick has spoken either of their names since season 2.  I really thought they would be in the gated community or (for a second) i thought that was the man on the phone with Rick (before we realized he was having a freak out).  

can't wait for whenever they do (or one of them makes their return). it will be very rewarding.

Yeah, I too wonder if they're scrapping the Morgan plot line or if they're saving it for a future episode/season. I hope they're ok!

just finished the last episode, loved the tom waits song at the end.  mule variations is the only album post asylum days i love, so i was really happy to hear a song from that album.  the war that is coming is going to be epic and i know i said earlier about bringing morgan and duane back and i think its getting closer.  with the way rick has been acting, i think its the only thing that could give him hope again.  (which is weird to say since he just had a baby)  

Say what? Not even Real Gone, Or the Bastards disc, Or Blood Money or Frank's Wild Years......?

The song was "hold on" from the album Mule Variations, but my question is "What's he building in there?"

i said the asylum years (+mule) are the waits albums i love.  i do like frank's wild years a lot, but all his other albums just don't do it for me.  heart of saturday night, closing time, and small change are 3 of my top favorite all-time albums. 

i called this season being the entire prison arc (per the graphic novel).  i'm ready for my next guess.

i think the show is going to leave the graphic novel behind next season.

I hope not.  On the other hand, I can't see how they could possibly put a character like Negan on cable TV.

I just got caught up on #98-#107 the other day...wowwwwww.

the main problem is that the show can go a lot faster than the comic can, so at some point it's going to catch up, right?

I mean:

season 1 = tp 1

season 2 = tp 2 (how they stretched that into a season, I have no idea...)

season 3 = tp 3 - 8

after this season, where do they go?  if they follow the comic,

season 4 = tp 9 - 12 (the road to DC + some extra crap to keep things interesting)

season 5 = tp 13 - ? (fun in DC)

that said, they can go twice as fast as the comics (i.e., one season = 24 issues) from this point forward and not catch up until season 6, which I suppose would still be pretty impressive for a comic book turned TV series

the main problem is that the show can go a lot faster than the comic can, so at some point it's going to catch up, right?

I mean:

season 1 = tp 1

season 2 = tp 2 (how they stretched that into a season, I have no idea...)

season 3 = tp 3 - 8

after this season, where do they go?  if they follow the comic,

season 4 = tp 9 - 12 (the road to DC + some extra crap to keep things interesting)

season 5 = tp 13 - ? (fun in DC)

that said, they can go twice as fast as the comics (i.e., one season = 24 issues) from this point forward and not catch up until season 6, which I suppose would still be pretty impressive for a comic book turned TV series

thats if the show lasts that long. 

you're probably right, but TV is a shitty business to be in, and just because you've got a good thing going doesnt mean the axe misses your show

aren't their ratings pretty great?

edit: just took a look and their ratings are climbing

season 1 averaged 5.5 mil, season 2 averaged almost 7 mil, and season 3 is averaging over 10 mil. I think this is a show they will let run its course at this point. unfortunately, i see walking dead getting the opposite treatment and them dragging it out as long as possible.

edit 2: wow, the other two big amc shows, breaking bad and mad men have very underwhelming numbers averaging less than 3 million viewers a week. that definitely puts it in perspective as how big walking dead is right now.