The Walking Dead

mcm1610

I've said this before, but at this point I think comic talk is misdirection as much as spoilers. The events shake out pretty different. Fair point about the broad strokes though.

the show is so different from the comics that i don't see how even mentioning anything from the comics couldn't be considered a spoiler at this point.

HOWEVER, i was so stoked that tyrese was such a bad shot last night. WHERE YER HAMMER AT, MY DUDE?!

You guys are SUPER critical of the show, just saying.  Overall I'd say this is a 5 star show, it's had some individual episodes that are 3 star, but most are 4 or 5.

If there is something that's slightly not as good you all sound the alarm "terrible episode! awful!" and then rush to watch it again next week ;)

You guys are SUPER critical of the show, just saying.  Overall I'd say this is a 5 star show, it's had some individual episodes that are 3 star, but most are 4 or 5.

If there is something that's slightly not as good you all sound the alarm "terrible episode! awful!" and then rush to watch it again next week ;)

this seems to sum up a large portion of the show's fans' view of it, too. Dialog driven? Too Slow. Tons of zombies? Too much going on.

I liked last night's episode - though, at certain points, it definitely felt like they were paying homage to The Shining, what with Phillip playing a charmer one moment and then going nuts another.

Just because I thought the episode was kind of crummy doesn't mean I wouldn't watch. I'd say it is a 3.5 star show, with some stronger moments, but that is just my opinion. I still like it! I'm not trying to bash it each week, sometimes it is just hard. 

If your curious daegor, a few of the things that irritate me are below. Spoiler'd in case someone didn't watch yet or doesn't care.

So last night you have Tyrese manning the wall with Sasha who lets Andrea out, but makes a big deal about no one leaving. But later Milton (presumably) is able to take a vehicle out on his own without question. I get the Gov being able to come and go, but the rest seems a little inconsistent. And really, if you're on foot like Andrea there is no other way out? Of course there is, but take the easy way out to service the plot.

Later on, you have the Gov. telling Tyrese the don't share tactics with new people, but giving them weapons and trusting them to watch the gate is fine?

The disagreement with Allen and Tyrese, which sort of seemed a bit contrived. It's a go nowhere plot piece that is hastily trying develop characters who have to pick allegiances in the showdown. That is the best case scenario, worst case, it is just filler for no reason. 

Even though it was well done, why spend 25 minutes of cat and mouse between Andrea and the Gov., we know nothing is going to happen to either of them in this episode. Kills the tension. 

Andrea has an impeccable sense of direction but apparently terrible ears and spatial awareness? I'm cool with the Gov. getting her and bringing her back, but does it have to be done in the most implausible way?

Those are the kind of things that I feel make it sloppy and sort of ask you to suspend the wrong kind of disbelief. I'm down with believing zombies are real, hell I'll even buy they have unlimited supplies because watching a show where they constantly siphon gas is boring. But if major characters need to lack basic awareness for your plot to work. I dunno. 

Not to get nitpicky (because I really don't care if you don't like the show), but I've replied to your spoilers in bold.

Just because I thought the episode was kind of crummy doesn't mean I wouldn't watch. I'd say it is a 3.5 star show, with some stronger moments, but that is just my opinion. I still like it! I'm not trying to bash it each week, sometimes it is just hard. 

If your curious daegor, a few of the things that irritate me are below. Spoiler'd in case someone didn't watch yet or doesn't care.

So last night you have Tyrese manning the wall with Sasha who lets Andrea out, but makes a big deal about no one leaving. But later Milton (presumably) is able to take a vehicle out on his own without question. I get the Gov being able to come and go, but the rest seems a little inconsistent. And really, if you're on foot like Andrea there is no other way out? Of course there is, but take the easy way out to service the plot.  I was fairly certain it had been established that Milton also has free reign (or at least it can be reasonably assumed given his status as "right hand man"), this is confirmed by The Gov immediately knowing it was Milton due to the gas.  Apparently he's the only one that would have unlimited access to such things.  I'm not sure I follow you regarding your point about Andrea, I think you mean if you're on foot couldn't you find a different way out rather than the gate?  Perhaps, but any other way would likely risk drawing more attention being that it would probably involve climbing or jumping, etc, it might be easily done at night, but not during the day.

Later on, you have the Gov. telling Tyrese the don't share tactics with new people, but giving them weapons and trusting them to watch the gate is fine?  Dude, he's full of shit.  They aren't about to question the potentially unstable leader of the town they WANT to stay in, so he gave some BS explanation to hide the truth.  If they don't believe he, he'll kill them.

The disagreement with Allen and Tyrese, which sort of seemed a bit contrived. It's a go nowhere plot piece that is hastily trying develop characters who have to pick allegiances in the showdown. That is the best case scenario, worst case, it is just filler for no reason.  I agree and disagree.  Not every character development needs to be a huge extended arc.  Some characters are static, and are only there to create contrast in the dynamic characters.  While the conflict in this case was reasonable, it did escalate rather quickly.  However, you could argue that Tyrese freaking out about the walker pits escalated his emotional response.  On the flip side, if they took the time to carefully develop every character it would be another season two on the farm ;)  I enjoyed season two, but it definitely was not an exciting season.

Even though it was well done, why spend 25 minutes of cat and mouse between Andrea and the Gov., we know nothing is going to happen to either of them in this episode. Kills the tension.  It was a little on the long side, but not too bad, even shaving 5 minutes off would have made it tighter.  I wasn't sure one of them wasn't going to die actually.  HOWEVER... being that one of them did NOT die in the episode DID take the writing down a notch for me.  A good writer is not afraid to unexpectedly sever a character mid-development.  If they wait until the season finale to kill one of them, it'll take it down another notch for me, the writing should not overly pander to the format of the show.

Andrea has an impeccable sense of direction but apparently terrible ears and spatial awareness? I'm cool with the Gov. getting her and bringing her back, but does it have to be done in the most implausible way? Eh... she was distracted, not surprised she was jumped.  I am surprised that she was that easy to wrangle without Rick noticing.  I can let these sorts of things slide without effecting my enjoyment of the show as long as the are the exception, not the rule.  Real life has improbabilities.

Those are the kind of things that I feel make it sloppy and sort of ask you to suspend the wrong kind of disbelief. I'm down with believing zombies are real, hell I'll even buy they have unlimited supplies because watching a show where they constantly siphon gas is boring. But if major characters need to lack basic awareness for your plot to work. I dunno.   

thanks for spoilers. It doesn't ruin the show or anything but it just detracts a little from something I think is really great. I'm sure people who read the comics just don't even know that they are doing it sometimes and it is totally unintentional.

out of curiosity, what was said that you'd consider a 'spoiler'?

pretty much nothing that's happening right now is in the comics. at least not at all the way it's playing out on the screen.

^ Having a character like negan is why its on cable tv. And yes he's a pure evil...but damn he's funny. And Give me less show and more comics...soooo much better! Anyone else disapointed with the michonne special comic?

This is an example. Not saying it is a prime one, I just randomly went a couple pages and grabbed the first one I saw.

I have no idea if this character will ever make the show or not but now I know what he is like the second he is introduced rather than letting the show guide me. Same with the Governor. I knew he was evil when the show was still portraying him as a good guy.

I think that's just an unavoidable thing when discussing a topic that spans multiple forms of media. The Washington DC thing, for example, happened a good 40 issues ago. In comics time, that was, what, early to mid 2009? I question what denotes a spoiler versus a non spoiler when much of the material in the comics has been floating out there for anywhere between 1 to 10 years. Not trying to cause a fuss by saying that, but it should probably just come with the territory that if folks who don't read the source material are going to engage in talk about the adaptation, that they'll inadvertently see talk of said material in some way no matter how they avoid it. It's all too tied in.

In other media franchises, talk of spoilers isn't as heavy. Take a big budget DC film like Batman or Superman, for example; you see that there are certain characters out there that you may not have heard of, but because they're being included in the latest film; it's inevitable you'll find out about their back story. Very few mainstream movie goers knew of Bane outside of the bad 1997 film, but it wasn't considered a spoiler that everyone knew he broke Batman's back in a storyline from 1992 - even though him doing that was a major thread in the 2013 film.

Just the same - by the time TWD does get to Negan - which I believe they will - it'll likely be by the time the comic is in the 130's to 140's - a good 30 or 40 issues after the character was introduced and a good 50 or so issues after he was first mentioned in passing reference.

My main question is - where is the line drawn? For those who both read the comics and watch the show, it's fun to go back and forth between the two. Those folks don't get to discuss those intricacies in depth if the fear of spoilers is evident. I understand that folks who only watch the show don't want to be spoiled, but again, what dictates a spoiler?

This is an example. Not saying it is a prime one, I just randomly went a couple pages and grabbed the first one I saw.

I have no idea if this character will ever make the show or not but now I know what he is like the second he is introduced rather than letting the show guide me. Same with the Governor. I knew he was evil when the show was still portraying him as a good guy.

i think this is getting pretty nitpicky. if you want to go into the show totally and absolutely in the dark/unbiased, you need to stay out of threads like this. i think it was fairly obvious that the governor was going to be this season's antagonist without input from any comic readers, just by the way they portrayed him in promotional material, and the 'if it seems too good to be true, it probably is' mantra of the show. if he was a good guy.

My opinion is that talk of anything that hasn't been revealed in the show should be spoilered. This thread is about the show, not the comic. So if people want to discuss the comic, they should spoiler it or take it to another thread. This would apply plain and simply, to anything that is in regards to events or characters that have not been revealed yet. There's no slippery slope.

I realize I can't control what others post. So I have a trade-off to make between not discussing the show by staying completely out of the thread vs. not discussing the show with others around here. I choose to read it, because the spoilers aren't THAT bad. I also appreciate everytime a spoiler is used, regardless of whether it is a major vs. minor giveaway or whether it is something that the show will get to this season or 2 seasons from now.

like Kriss said, the comics and the show are inextricably linked. i think everyone does their best to not bring up any major (or minor) plot points that may or may not happen in the show, but i don't think it's fair to say 'oh, you can't discuss how different Andrea is on the show vs. the comics, because the comics aren't relevant when you discuss the show.' in my opinion, something like that is not a spoiler.

like Kriss said, the comics and the show are inextricably linked. i think everyone does their best to not bring up any major (or minor) plot points that may or may not happen in the show, but i don't think it's fair to say 'oh, you can't discuss how different Andrea is on the show vs. the comics, because the comics aren't relevant when you discuss the show.' in my opinion, something like that is not a spoiler.

No issue with this -- discussing a current character without giving away future plot points.

My opinion is that talk of anything that hasn't been revealed in the show should be spoilered. This thread is about the show, not the comic. So if people want to discuss the comic, they should spoiler it or take it to another thread. This would apply plain and simply, to anything that is in regards to events or characters that have not been revealed yet. There's no slippery slope.

I realize I can't control what others post. So I have a trade-off to make between not discussing the show by staying completely out of the thread vs. not discussing the show with others around here. I choose to read it, because the spoilers aren't THAT bad. I also appreciate everytime a spoiler is used, regardless of whether it is a major vs. minor giveaway or whether it is something that the show will get to this season or 2 seasons from now.

I think I'm with you.  the DC thing above seems like a big spoiler to me (not saying you should've "spoilered" it, just saying).  I mean, now we all know/presume that some shit is gonna go down and rick and the crew are gonna have to get the hell out of dodge.  and while lots of things are different, I'm afraid of saying minor things like

rick losing his hand, the baby dying, etc.

because if you haven't read the comics, those things are probably gonna be kinda shocking/unexpected on tv (if/when they happen)

for the record, I've read all of the comics, except for the 6 page michonne thing that was in playboy and her special issue.  I need to get me a copy of that sometime...

This thread is about "The Walking Dead." It's not called "The Walking Dead TV Show Thread," and while yes, most of the talk is about the TV Show, this thread is not limited to one format. And with the TV show being based off the comic book, which is much farther down the timeline, there will naturally be some crosstalk going on. If you don't want spoilers of any kind you should probably stay off of the internet.

This thread is about "The Walking Dead." It's not called "The Walking Dead TV Show Thread," and while yes, most of the talk is about the TV Show, this thread is not limited to one format. And with the TV show being based off the comic book, which is much farther down the timeline, there will naturally be some crosstalk going on. If you don't want spoilers of any kind you should probably stay off of the internet.

The difference is that if people spoiler the spoilers then everybody can be happy. Even though Harry quoted me, I didn't read that.

People do a good job getting the obvious spoilers. My point was just that people in here give details without even realizing that they are spoilers. I make the choice to participate in this thread and I know the spoiler risk because I would rather do that than not. But it's pretty easy anytime someone wants to talk about the comic to hide it and I just see it as courteous. 

The difference is that if people spoiler the spoilers then everybody can be happy. Even though Harry quoted me, I didn't read that.

People do a good job getting the obvious spoilers. My point was just that people in here give details without even realizing that they are spoilers. I make the choice to participate in this thread and I know the spoiler risk because I would rather do that than not. But it's pretty easy anytime someone wants to talk about the comic to hide it and I just see it as courteous. 

and it seems to me that this thread is implicitly "The Walking Dead (TV Show Thread)".  no one brought up issue 108 coming out 5 days ago...

ezekiel has a tiger?  that makes perfect sense!  can animals become zombie animals?  if not, shiva has an endless supply of food...

So sorry to offend anyone who only watches the show. But you are in a forum titled the walking dead. Comic references are in the very first few posts. Why don't you just read the comics. That way we can have real discussions on here instead of having watch what's said. The books are free at the library. It took about a week or soo to get caught up...and I'm a lil slow! And plz no haters.....if you are truly a fan of the show you will prawlly enjoy the books more.

Jesus I am sick of people trying to tell me that I am wrong for just wanting to watch and discuss the show separate from the comics.

Put comic talk in a spoiler. Then the people who want to talk comics can talk comics, those who don't don't have to read it. Everyone is happy. If that is really a difficult request and I'm in the great minority, I'll bail. I see it as something very minor.

^dude, wasn't saying u or anyone else was wrong. I didn't know it was such an issue until today. I agree there should bee two post if its a problem. I was mostly just annoyed with being copy/pasted for mentioning a future villian. Wasn't Exactly a spolier. Its a silly complaint is my position. I usually watch the latest epesode a day or two later. I have to sing the darn smurf song in my head whenever people are talking about it. It doesn't always work. Spoilers happen.