Any comic book readers?

• 2 weeks later...

Just ordered the first Alan Moore Swamp Thing book. Ever since I've gotten into comics/graphic novels, I've heard nothing but praise for Moore's Swamp Thing run so I figured it was about time I got it! Incredibly excited to finally start it.

It's truly amazing. One of the best ever.

Just ordered the first Alan Moore Swamp Thing book.  Ever since I've gotten into comics/graphic novels, I've heard nothing but praise for Moore's Swamp Thing run so I figured it was about time I got it!  Incredibly excited to finally start it.

It's excellent.  I enjoyed Morrison's short run and I thought Mark Millar did a good job finishing it up too.  I've been meaning to read the beginning of that series, I jumped in when Moore took over.

Almost done with Bulletproof Coffin and I'm digging it.  I also read Optic Nerve over the last week and really liked it.

I've been reading mostly Image stuff via DRM-free digital. Enjoying '68 and Lazarus right now.

Image is mostly what I read these days. So many great things going on there with Revival, Chew, Copperhead, Roche Limit, Trees, Southern Bastards, Manifest Destiny, Birthright, Lazarus, Saga, Nailbiter, etc etc. 

Alan Moore's Swamp Thing is my second favorite run on any comic, all time. (1st is Frank Miller's Daredevil)

Things I have read lately...

Starlight - an entertaining comic, but with a very predictable storyline. I enjoyed Goran Parlov's artwok a lot in this.

Abe Sapien - caught up on the current series. Solid as always with a Mignola book.

Green Arrow - finished up Jeff Lemire's run. I was not into it at all. I love Lemire's non-superhero books. Don't think I will be picking up any of his superhero stuff any more. 

Incredible Hulk (Visionaries Peter David) - not bad for a 90's comic. Not that good though. The early McFarlane artwork in this book is kinda lousy.

Image is mostly what I read these days. So many great things going on there with Revival, Chew, Copperhead, Roche Limit, Trees, Southern Bastards, Manifest Destiny, Birthright, Lazarus, Saga, Nailbiter, etc etc. 

I recently got caught up on Southern Bastards and it's really strong.

How is Nailbiter?

I just read Bulletproof Coffin.  It was a pretty fun read.  I wouldn't say I was blown away by it or anything, but I'm glad I took the time to sit down with it.

It isnt some huge monumental comic that is going to change things, but it is a fun horror comic with great art, good writing, a neat premise, and a lot of fun. They have had some pages that feel just like a scene from a 80s slasher flick, but you know, on a page. I look forward to reading it each month.

It isnt some huge monumental comic that is going to change things, but it is a fun horror comic with great art, good writing, a neat premise, and a lot of fun. They have had some pages that feel just like a scene from a 80s slasher flick, but you know, on a page. I look forward to reading it each month.

That sounds like something I'd enjoy!  I'll check it out, thanks!

Just went a little graphic novel crazy on Amazon for the first time in a while:

- The Sandman Vol. 1: Preludes & Nocturnes

- From Hell

- Nailbiter Vol. 1: There Will Be Blood

- Afterlife With Archie: Escape From Riverdale

- Preacher: Book 1

- Miracleman: Book 1, A Dream Of Flying

Afterlife is so good. I've been meaning to grab pretty much everything else on your list, but between all the new creator owned comics and shit that my brother keeps handing me, I just can't keep up!

This and Birthright are two of the best first issues I have read in a long while.

Just read both Birthright issues and I think I'm going to enjoy it.  Did anyone else read The Humans?  It's pretty ridiculous and fun.  I'm hoping they add a little depth to it, otherwise it might not be a sustainable comic though.

I was at an estate sale today, there was a lot of about 60 or so comics from the 60's & 70's... I went thru them and there were several key issues. Amazing Spider-man 121, Luke Cage #1, some early X-Men, etc. I get to the bottom of the last pile and there sits Incredible Hulk 181. All of them were loose and probably in vg-fn condition. It was obviously some kid's old collection and not an adult collector. 

Unfortunately there was one other guy at the auction who knew what was there because he and I were the only two bidding. I had to drop out at $300. The other guy got a steal on that lot. 

I am bummed because I am sure I will never find a lot like that in the wild again. Unreal to find a Incredible Hulk 181 in a random stack of comics like that.

I was at an estate sale today, there was a lot of about 60 or so comics from the 60's & 70's... I went thru them and there were several key issues. Amazing Spider-man 121, Luke Cage #1, some early X-Men, etc. I get to the bottom of the last pile and there sits Incredible Hulk 181. All of them were loose and probably in vg-fn condition. It was obviously some kid's old collection and not an adult collector. 

Unfortunately there was one other guy at the auction who knew what was there because he and I were the only two bidding. I had to drop out at $300. The other guy got a steal on that lot. 

I am bummed because I am sure I will never find a lot like that in the wild again. Unreal to find a Incredible Hulk 181 in a random stack of comics like that.

oh man, that's tough to hear. too bad :(

i just ordered Night Of The Living Deadpool from amazon for $10, and i got 2 Halo graphic novels (both are limited hardback versions) at Half Price Books for $11 total, so i'm very happy at the moment

Unreal to find a Incredible Hulk 181 in a random stack of comics like that.

Hulk 181 was my holy grail of comics. Got into comics around age 12 because my neighbor upstairs knew i was into sports cards and gave me 5 boxes of comics because he was moving. Bought a Wizard price guide (this was like 1990-1991) and saw the Iron Fist 14 he gave me was worth like $50 at the time. Got me hooked so I got into Hulk and looking through the price guide saw 181 was worth a lot. Looked into it and since then have been into Wolverine. Never had the money to get that 181 until a few months ago. Since then this is what has happened...

Iron FIst 14 got me into comics, sentimentally got it CGC graded. Also got my Wolverine 10 graded, sentimental reasons again. The rest I bought via online but I was patient and didn't overspend because I knew the death of Wolverine was going to drive up prices. Got the entire Wolverine first appearnace set, Hulk 180-182.

IMG_20141120_173458_zpsbb5990be.jpg

IMG_20141027_164253_zps66e80b8d.jpg

IMG_20141022_160408_zps74d1f67f.jpg