Question for the married dudes...

Funny, I just went to a somewhat "punk rock" wedding. Their first dance was Rise Against "Swing Life Away" as previously mentioned. I remember hearing Social Distortion's Mommy's Little Monster. It really depends on when this music going to be played. If it's while people are eating you could get away with a lot more. Once the dancing begins though, punk rock is tough to pull off.

Maybe some pop punk...Queers maybe??

my wife and i went back and forth over our first song.

i converted her little by little with the music i listened to over the years and she came along way from her country and micheal w. smith days. haha. anyway she listens to the more poppy punk stuff and hates all the other shit i listen too.

in the end we decided on smother me by the used. its her favorite band and i dig the song.

we also had a little video we played that showed pictures of us as kids and together. we got to play some good shit when we showed that. can't remember which songs exactaly but i know there was some JEW and angels and airways and i think i got to sneak in a misfits song too.

I came out to Gaslight Anthem's Blue Jeans & White T-Shirts

Then the DJ played Gaslight songs throughout the reception, specifically during dinner between the speeches. It was almost filler music. I was really confused when he kicked the whole thing off with '59 sound. Such an appropriate song for a wedding.

sigh

My wife walked down the aisle to Slow Fade by Choke

We left the ceremony to E Dagger by Lagwagon

and our first dance was Slow Dancin' by Lucero

The dinner music was a lot of epifat punk and some mid 90s and early 00s emo, and the DJ played mostly old 60s soul music for the dance. What an awesome party!

The dinner music was a lot of epifat punk and some mid 90s and early 00s emo, and the DJ played mostly old 60s soul music for the dance. What an awesome party!

This is the way to go. Play the punk stuff during dinner and stuff, and then go with oldies, soul, motown stuff for the dancing.

Also Bright Eyes First Day of My Life is a great first dance song.

This is the way to go. Play the punk stuff during dinner and stuff, and then go with oldies, soul, motown stuff for the dancing.

Also Bright Eyes First Day of My Life is a great first dance song.

that was my sister and brother in law's first dance!

during dinner they played more mellow stuff like city & colour, portugal the man, josh ritter, sigur ros, owen, the new amsterdams, etc.

ours was Damien Rice - The Blower's Daughter

Did everyone in the place weep? Great song.

We walked down the isle to this song. I saw people crying but not sure if it was because the song or the standard "can't believe they've grown up". This is one of the main reason's I want O to be pressed. I know I can get the 7" of this but still imo, "O" is one of my favorite albums of all time.

It's your wedding. Play whatever you want. I'd suggest staying away from profanity-laden lyrics, especially considering you're going to have older folks there, but it's your call. At our reception, we took a playlist that was culled from pretty much everything we had in iTunes at the time. I'd just play tracks, and my wife would say "yes" or "no."

We ended up with a lot of murder ballads and oddball stuff that fit our mood. The first two songs that played were "Delia's Gone" by Johnny Cash, and the Mountain Goats' "No Children."