Does anyone here volunteer some place?

I have recently been thinking of trying to find a place to help out. I know there are a bunch of types of organizations out there that are looking for help so I am really looking for people who have done this in the past or are currently doing so.

Where did you volunteer? What was it like etc etc. Share some stories please!

I volunteer at.... Catholic Charities? Christian Services? Something like that... in an old mansion off Gates Circle. Every day people come in, up to once every two weeks, and get a free load of groceries depending on what we have available. I haven't had a ton of time to do it recently, but it's every weekday from 9ish until 1 or so. (I clearly haven't been in a while, I can't remember any details!)

It's rewarding, but at times frustrating. Poor people are ridiculously picky, even when getting free handouts, but usually they need everything they get. It's also fun exploring mansions when no one is supervising you. And you get to hang out with old people who are a) generally full of good stories B) generally starved for someone to talk to. It's enjoyable if you don't mind carrying boxes of food up 130 year old stone steps.

I volunteer at the local youth centre each thursday night, they have local bands on and i just sit behind a desk and supervise them, to make sure they don't break or steal anything. It's only a few hours, and i get to see a couple of bands.

I also donate blood every 3 weeks, and i get a tasty milkshake and some biscuits as a reward. Every now and then there will be a hot nurse too.

As a whole, i think volunteering your time to anything is very rewarding thing. You meet new people, and get to see a pretty broad spectrum of society you otherwise may not have been able to.

I also donate blood every 3 weeks, and i get a tasty milkshake and some biscuits as a reward. Every now and then there will be a hot nurse too.

that's weird. in the US i'm pretty sure you can only donate blood every 8 weeks, but they're thinking of making it less time if there's an emergency.

OH. and i used to volunteer at my local humane society. i haven't gone in awhile, but i'd like to get back into doing it. you could be either a dog or a cat socializer and after one session of training on the weekend, you more or less got to play with the animals whenever you went. a lot of people just assume that they'll have you clean out cages or some dirty job, but they have the paid employees do that and the volunteers just get to play with and exercise the animals, which rules.

I play music once a month at a soup kitchen and a Alcohol/Drug/recovery center we have in town and we do some local outreach as well with helping family going through things. The last family was a single mom with 6 kids and She was hospitalized and they had an aunt watching the kids so we just brought them some food/diapers and such. and cleaned up a little.

My "volunteer" services come around Christmas time. Me and the wife don't buy each other Christmas gifts. We each choose a child from a "giving tree" and also choose 1 Family to provide dinner for. We spend a great amount on each kid. We have done this for the last 5 years. It does feel rewarding. My wife used to volunteer at a special needs daycare type of thing (only lasted 4 hours). It allowed mothers/fathers to go get some alone time, do shopping, and/or get things done.

that's weird. in the US i'm pretty sure you can only donate blood every 8 weeks, but they're thinking of making it less time if there's an emergency.

You donate blood once every 56 days, plasma once every 3 days.

I used to spend a lot of time as an adult leader of a local boy scout troop. Thinking of donating time to Kosair Charities. It's a local charity for poor youth. They helped me out a great deal as a kid.

I volunteer twice a week at a "soup kitchen" and I find it very fulfilling. The work can be hard, the surroundings can get very depressing, and the clientele can sometimes be total assholes, but usually it feels like I'm helping. On the other hand, I can't help but feel like I'm contributing to their alcoholism/drug addiction by helping them get food, and that can be tough to resolve. For the most part, I just keep my head down, do my best to get decent food out to folks that would otherwise not eat, and try to make my community a little better place.

Another drawback of the volunteer game is that you're most likely going to work for a Christian organization. If you are cool and the people around don't lay the bible-thumping on too thick, it is fine but you're going to want to leave your copy of "God Is Not Great" at home. Personally, I just hang back for the prayers and just nod my head when people get preachy with me and it works out ok.

I'm a Volunteer Firefighter. Time consuming but hugely rewarding. A huge need for people to make the commitment too.

I used to do overnights at a homeless shelter as well once every two weeks but something had give timewise. I also was a mentor at a basketball camp for at risk youths - it was fun when we all had to discuss our heroes and the kids thought I was nuts naming Albert Maysles.

My brother is a volunteer fireman. Or was, he has recently moved out of the district.

I guess beyond my food pantry stuff, I teach, then I work for the Town Rec (summer track, hockey programs, park supervision), and coach different teams in two sports, two of the three unpaid. I think I donate quite a bit of my time to trying to make the world a better place.

It's always been a part of my family. My grandmother was a nurse. My mom is a nurse. My brother (the fireman) is an EMT, my grandfather constantly volunteers and donates... it just baffles me when people DON'T give their time at all.

wow some good people in here. i think i may try and volunteer at a local troop or something being an eagle scout myself. it would be nice to help at a soup kitchen or something, i am sure there are opportunities all over houston for me.

i used to dumpster dive in college and every saturday we would cook in the park and give food and leftovers to the homeless or anyone needing anything.

• 5 months later...
I used to do overnights at a homeless shelter as well once every two weeks but something had give timewise. I also was a mentor at a basketball camp for at risk youths - it was fun when we all had to discuss our heroes and the kids thought I was nuts naming Albert Maysles.

I think mentoring at-risk youth is a key part of ensuring our country’s future success and well-being..

I also mentor and perform volunteer work for at-risk youths, and it was fun! I get to do something meaningful while doing something I love.. Plus, I’m hanging out with really great people.

Here is a page if you want to know who and what is an at-risk youth.

I used to volunteer at this soup kitchen a few times, but now that I'm in college/working 2 jobs/play in a band/work college radio & tv shows, I have literally no time. But volunteering is a rewarding experience, and I hope after all this college mess blows over, I can get back into some sort of routine doing so.

im thinking about doing some volunteering at a couple local galleries, but mostly for the sake of resume building.

everyone else volunteering for good causes is better than me

i should have been volunteering. i've been out of a job 3 months. at least i would have met people.

i use to volunteer for a festival for the area food bank. then every thanksgiving we use to volunteer to help for the charity runs on thanksgiving. then on christmas me and some friends would make food lunches and give them to the homeless people on the street.

the helping a familly is a awesome gift. i might have to look into that this year. i usually just sit around the house and watch tv. it'd be more rewarding if i did that.

I use to volunteer at my local hospital. They had me in th ER 3 days a week. Incredibly boring for the most part with random moments of excitement and accomplishment. Its amazing how the little things you can do for nurses and patients make their day.
I used to do this a lot in high school.. just running test samples up to the lab or setting up IV bags for them and they greatly appreciated it.

I volunteered at the hospital in the children's wing before my free time dried up. They had a decent amount of staff so basically I just cleaned. It was not fulfilling in any way, but I'm sure it was helpful. In my experience hospitals provide less I interaction with others due to the risk involved. Those helping at youth centers or as mentors seem to enjoy the experience a lot more.

If you're looking for something to do, check out your area's cancer hospital. A lot of patients end up trapped in there if their immune system isn't strong enough, so they have nothing to do. My mom has been in Roswell Park since before Thanksgiving and goes stir-crazy. They have people that came around and sang Christmas carols, they have people bring tea or coffee around, they have just general visitors, etc. People get bored in there and could use any visitors sometimes.