eBay's Highest Priced Records in 5 Years???

In 5 years, what will be the classic "the-only-place-I-can-find-this-damn-record-is-for-$100-on-eBay?"

I'm not even gonna take a stab without thinking about it more. Who knows?

are we just talking "modern" releases? I'll go with the 5 glassjaw singles, because they'll probably release their next album/ep/single in 5 years, so there will be renewed interest

another reason is that I have them--who wants the set for $500? I'll even throw in an adapter! :)

probably the same high priced shit from today... OG beatles stuff, old motown stuff/northern soul, obscure presses of punk/hc stuff

This, LOL at anyone who thinks the highest priced records any time in the future are going to be /300 variants of pop punk records.

yeah, as much as i'd like to think stuff like transit - stay home in an eco jacket will inflate to $150, I don't think it'll happen. Unless maybe they go blink-182 huge. then maybe it'll be like the short bus 7" or something. who knows.

probably the same high priced shit from today... OG beatles stuff, old motown stuff/northern soul, obscure presses of punk/hc stuff

This, LOL at anyone who thinks the highest priced records any time in the future are going to be /300 variants of pop punk records.

Two wise responses.

Record collectors know and care nothing about this stuff. Some guys will venture into proto-punk and early stuff (Sex Pistols, Ramones, Damned, etc), but for the most part, they don't care.

If you look at the most expensive records that sell, they are either rare releases or limited availability records or genres like jazz from the 40-60's (Blue Note, Prestige, Riverside), pre-war blues, Elvis on Sun, Beatles on Parlophone, some classical and Northern Soul (which is sort of a collecting trend because nobody cared about it 20 years ago).

I think now we'll see more of those older dealers seeking to buy some early hardcore and punk records because their good top sellers (early Minor Threat, Judge, Misfits).

If you're vi-curious...

1. John Lennon & Yoko Ono – Double Fantasy (Geffen US Album, 1980) Note: Autographed by Lennon five hours before Mark David Chapman assassinated him. Value: $525,000

2. The Quarrymen – “That’ll Be the Day”/”In Spite Of All The Danger” (UK 78 RPM, Acetate in plain sleeve, 1958) Note: Only one copy made. Value: $180,000

3. The Beatles – Yesterday and Today (Capitol, US Album in ‘butcher’ sleeve, 1966) Value: $38,500, though more typically prices range from $150-$7500

4. Bob Dylan – The Freewheelin’ Bob Dylan (CBS, US album, stereo 1963 featuring 4 tracks deleted from subsequent releases) Value: $35,000

5. Long Cleve Reed & Little Harvey Hull – “Original Stack O’Lee Blues” (Black Patti, US 78 RPM in plain sleeve, 1927) Value: $30,000

6. Frank Wilson – “Do I Love You?” (Tamla Motown, US 7” 45 RPM in plain sleeve, 1965) Value: $30,000

7. Velvet Underground & Nico – The Velvet Underground and Nico (US Album Acetate, in plain sleeve, 1966 with alternate versions of tracks from official release) Value: estimate $25,200

8. Elvis Presley - Stay Away, Joe (US, RCA Victor UNRM-9408, 1967) Note: One side promotional album. Value: $25,000

9. The Five Sharps - “Stormy Weather” (US, Jubilee 5104, 78 RPM, 1953) Value: $25,000

10. The Hornets - “I Can’t Believe” (US, States 127, 78 RPM, 1953) Value: $25,000

11. Sex Pistols: God Save The Queen (1977) Value: $11,500

12. Sex Pistols: Anarchy In The UK (1976)(double-sided acetate)Value $9,900

3. The Beatles – Yesterday and Today (Capitol, US Album in ‘butcher’ sleeve, 1966) Value: $38,500, though more typically prices range from $150-$7500

Have one at the store back in California out for $800. Anybody want it for less?

11. Sex Pistols: God Save The Queen (1977) Value: $11,500

This is only for the press on Virgin.

About 8 years ago I found one of these at a shitty shop that used to be in Costa Mesa, Ca called Noise Noise Noise and they had no idea what it was. That was probably the smartest $4 I ever spent because I put it up for sale in my store.

After being up in the store for a little less than a week I was able to sell it for $2000. I thought without ebay I was going to be lucky to get $100 for it.

Moral of the story: If you're going to dress up like a clean-jeans gutterpunk and come spend $2000 (on a Sex Pistols single no less) at my store, don't get mad when I make fun of you.