a DISCOGS question

speely

It is a great site for buying rare stuff but it is also a great site for a laugh when you see the crazy prices people put on some of their items .... love the comment that it is only limited to 600 and that the drummer died so it must be worth $600 of course, especially when others are selling it for like 20 times less on the same site!

http://www.discogs.com/buy/Vinyl/You-Say-Party-We-Say-Die-Lose-All-Time/30707623?ev=bp_rel_det

+1

discogs is a vinyl mecca.

i'm a huge fan.

---

hori, there are clueless sellers in any venue, online or in the real world.

as an example, some of my local competition in the retail world leave records they resell in a unairconditioned shed all summer long, clean records with 100% undiluted alcohol and a dishrag and then ask way too much for a purple label beatles reissue with scratches.

my theory is do the right things and customers seek you out. (honest grading, etc)

that business plan and mission statement seems to be working for me, so far so good anyway.

:/

there are boneheaded sellers anywhere, thank goodness for the rest of us is all i can say.

even though i have a retail outlet... i collect too. i've been exposed to bad sellers too.

frankly, the two ho$ebag "resellers" we have in my town are the main reason i started a small record store.

I have gotten more bad deals than good deals there. A lot of the time the sleeves were listed as NM but they were really VG or VG- and sometimes they are just generic blank sleeves or promo copies.

Of course, refunds were issued when I complained.

Since you don't have pictures or details about the item, ask questions first.

• 3 months later...

A lot of European sellers jack up their prices on harder to find records (often two to four times what the lower selling copies are) but a few as you mentioned can be negotiated with. I like Discogs a lot personally and I've found a ton of great deals on there often with set prices due to the volume I buy.

Love discogs. Scored "The Mars Volta - Deloused in the Comatorium" for $30 off there.

This is what I love about Discogs. You get some fucking great surprises every now and then and can act immediately instead of waiting a week for that deal to climb out of the.... dealzone...

My only complaint is that I've been blocked from adding releases because I've had a few instances of making mistakes like saying a record is black when that's apparently redundant. I wish people would just take the initiative and correct what they see and leave me be. Now I can't correctly represent my collection or even sell things I want to sell unless someone else makes the damned page. Besides that though, I've got no complaints.

My only complaint is that I've been blocked from adding releases because I've had a few instances of making mistakes like saying a record is black when that's apparently redundant. I wish people would just take the initiative and correct what they see and leave me be. Now I can't correctly represent my collection or even sell things I want to sell unless someone else makes the damned page. Besides that though, I've got no complaints.

Make a new account to add new releases, and then add them to your collection with your main account?

I've about to do a purchase for The Appleseed Cast Low Level Owl 1+2 Graveface. It's not cheap but it's better than eBay prices. I'm a little worried about this buy as this is the first sell this seller has done so has no history. He said we can do it out of discogs to save money on fees or something and to do it paypal. Pretty safe with paypal though yeah?

Make a new account to add new releases, and then add them to your collection with your main account?

Now why didn't my brain-hole come up with this idea before? I might end up doing this. Mistakes or not, it bugs me when discographies on DISCOGS are horribly incomplete...

• 1 year later...

Resurrecting cause I have a question.

One of my sought after records popped up for a good price, but I'm not sure if what's listed is the exact variant I want.

Like for example the discogs general listing will say "so and so record on red vinyl" but then individual seller descriptions will be like "this is NOT the colored version, just black yada yada". I messaged the seller but I'm scared it will be gone before I know it

So if I add it to my cart and purchase it (before paying), and its not the record as advertised (cause he has feedback but is still fairly new), is there any way I can retract my purchase? thanks

You can ask the seller to cancel the sale, if he or she refuses you can just not pay. But you take the chance of getting bad feedback lowering your rating.

I had a very strange interaction with a seller, told him I preferred not to purchase and decided I would rather deal with possibly getting a bad buyers grade from this guy than buying anything from him after said bizarre interaction.

Sure enough he gave me a bad rating but that would be the only negative rating out of the 20 or so I've had on there. Every transaction but that one has been positive.

Resurrecting cause I have a question.

One of my sought after records popped up for a good price, but I'm not sure if what's listed is the exact variant I want.

Like for example the discogs general listing will say "so and so record on red vinyl" but then individual seller descriptions will be like "this is NOT the colored version, just black yada yada". I messaged the seller but I'm scared it will be gone before I know it

So if I add it to my cart and purchase it (before paying), and its not the record as advertised (cause he has feedback but is still fairly new), is there any way I can retract my purchase? thanks

It seems to me like the seller already answered your question in the description... They probably listed it under the more rare variant to get more views.