Smashing Pumpkins

I'm still a little confused about this new pressing.  So they have a larger run out groove on the side that has Zero, but that side still has the same songs.  So I guess the space between grooves was decreased?  Wouldn't that potentially introduce another set of problems?

The problem wasn't that the grooves were too thin, it was that they were mastered almost all the way to the label. The revolutions are so small at that point, any loudness will sound distorted. Also, it was just a shitty mastering job. But I feel like Mr. Getz was thinking the exact same way you were which is pretty sad for a "renowned mastering engineer".

But I just opened up this new pressing and at first inspection the side A looks like it wasn't mastered nearly as far into the record. I remember opening the original pressing and thinking it looked ridiculous. There was barely any space for an etching. Not the case here. I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison on the table tonight. 

The problem wasn't that the grooves were too thin, it was that they were mastered almost all the way to the label. The revolutions are so small at that point, any loudness will sound distorted. Also, it was just a shitty mastering job. But I feel like Mr. Getz was thinking the exact same way you were which is pretty sad for a "renowned mastering engineer".

But I just opened up this new pressing and at first inspection the side A looks like it wasn't mastered nearly as far into the record. I remember opening the original pressing and thinking it looked ridiculous. There was barely any space for an etching. Not the case here. I'll try to do a side-by-side comparison on the table tonight. 

Thanks so much. Would appreciate it.

I bought the first round of this, and my Zero has that distortion. I was not neccesarilly happy with the quality of the sound on a couple of the tracks actually, which was tough because the packaging is just spectacular, and you could tell they put a lot of time into it. Too bad the most important part, the sound of the record, fell flat on its face.

The one on Amazon is going for $70 Prime, and if it's the same one you bought (maybe you can confirm with the link below) and it sounds great, I will probably just drop the money to have one that sounds good.

http://www.amazon.com/Mellon-Collie-Infinite-Sadness-LP/dp/B008Z9L94O/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1430745981&sr=8-1&keywords=mellon+collie+vinyl

Sucks I'm going to be spending almost $150 when all is said and done just because the first ones to press this were bozo's.

I bought the new pressing and it sounds much better. No distortion at all on Zero (besides what is supposed to be there). And actually, there is more dead space on every side of each LP, so it's not like they only changed the first LP, which had the most complaints. They apparently used new plates for each record. I haven't made it through the whole album yet, but the first 2 LPs sound good. I'm glad that I re-bought it.

Has anyone had any luck with Amazon regarding replacing their defective pressings (at their cost)?

I note on the listing for the new pressing:

"PRODUCT ALERT:

Please note that this is a remastered version of an original recording. Any background noise from the original recording may be present in this recording as well."

It seems to be fairly well documented that the distortion is as a result of a pressing issue and not a mastering issue. A defect not present on the EU pressing and which has clearly been fixed with this second pressing.

I have contacted them. I will let you all know if I get a result. 

I was more interested in the manufacturing process behind fixing this problem.  So there is more dead wax on each side, but still the same amount of music on each side.  so that must mean that in the fixed repress, the grooves are closer together so that the songs can finish before getting too close to the center, right?  Wouldn't having the grooves closer together potentially affect the sound quality in some other way? 

Maybe I can help:

When mastering the audio for the first pressing of this, it was mastered too loudly or too "hot." In doing this, it physically creates a wider gap between each groove. If there is a ton of low end and not enough space between the grooves, it causes negative audio reactions.

My guess is that this new pressing was cut much quieter, allowing for the grooves to remain closer together and keep the ending of each side further from the label.

This is how longer records are cut into single LPs. If you compare any 1xLP pressing to a future 2xLP repressing, the second pressing is generally louder with a more prominent low end.

I was more interested in the manufacturing process behind fixing this problem.  So there is more dead wax on each side, but still the same amount of music on each side.  so that must mean that in the fixed repress, the grooves are closer together so that the songs can finish before getting too close to the center, right?  Wouldn't having the grooves closer together potentially affect the sound quality in some other way? 

Maybe I can help:

When mastering the audio for the first pressing of this, it was mastered too loudly or too "hot." In doing this, it physically creates a wider gap between each groove. If there is a ton of low end and not enough space between the grooves, it causes negative audio reactions.

My guess is that this new pressing was cut much quieter, allowing for the grooves to remain closer together and keep the ending of each side further from the label.

This is how longer records are cut into single LPs. If you compare any 1xLP pressing to a future 2xLP repressing, the second pressing is generally louder with a more prominent low end.

There you go. Dude knows his stuff too.

Thanks for the clarification, mindovermatter. :) I'm always glad when someone better versed and educated can come in and explain something in a way that is understandable and helpful.