Shit on bands here

I don't know if anyone was disputing that. There's a lot more to writing an album than just lyrics. I won't say that certain members are "talentless"... but when someone isn't writing or contributing to a song - even instrumentally - they just seem so replaceable to me. I know there are exceptions, and that you can't expect every drummer to play drums on any given song, etc. But I guess I just have a bit more respect for bands that collaborate to write their music. If Jesse wrote the parts of every single instrument for every track on all the albums - on top of the lyrics - then, yeah. It'd feel less like Brand New and more like Jesse & the Stand-Ins.

Black Dahlia Murder. All of my friends like them. I just can't get into it...at all...I saw them at Black Xmas last year and they were selling lithographs of all of their album covers for $20 a piece. Which is weird. That has nothing to do with anything.

You are entitled to your opinion.... just not this one.

Lets all take a moment to acknowledge that Derek made a grammatical error.  There's a first for everything I guess.   :P  ;)

That's what I get for trying to post first thing in the morning, in bed.  Damn.  I'm compelled to fix it even though you've immortalized my groggy errors.  Good catch.

[edit]

I'm going to say that my brain was already locked onto the "their" in the following sentence, and opted for the wrong one prematurely.  That's my story and I'm sticking to it.  Either way... for shame.

Think Gaslight would have been better off if Sink or Swim had been streamed on Pitchfork instead of Punknews. They just aren't a punk band and never really were. Got sorta typecast that way off the bat, though, and lead to them being pulled in different directions by new fans vs. old. Not sure I agree with the idea that they are a punk band with a singer who wants to do R&B. Alex R is big into the Cure and I think a ton of that comes through in the guitar.

I say that mostly in response to calling the breakdown in Say I Won't (Recognize) "painful." I think that song is perfect. Don't think he is stretching his voice too far or going off on a musical tangent. It fits.

I will give you that Brian has had a few really bad interviews over the years.

The swing "breakdown" in that song sounds stiff and forced, like asking someone that is used to playing four-on-the-floor punk music to try and play swinging rock and roll.

I think of them more as a punk band by virtue of the music they play. I didn't hear about them through punknews, a website I have literally never checked. I don't check pitchfork, either, though.

They're alright though. I've seen them a few times now, and I have a few really good memories of those early records.

The swing "breakdown" in that song sounds stiff and forced, like asking someone that is used to playing four-on-the-floor punk music to try and play swinging rock and roll.

I think of them more as a punk band by virtue of the music they play. I didn't hear about them through punknews, a website I have literally never checked. I don't check pitchfork, either, though.

They're alright though. I've seen them a few times now, and I have a few really good memories of those early records.

I just don't think it sounds stiff or forced at all. I'm not sure how you could objectively measure that. Agree to disagree.

The only thing they have ever put out that I would title punk is 1930, and only to first 30 seconds of it.

mewithoutyou//seahaven//allotherbandsthattouredwithTouchéAmoré

I couldn't stand any of the opening acts, but Touché Amoré were great. Go figure.

I'd like to add Touche Amore to that list.

I guess I'm the only person here that doesn't think Lydia is a good band. Not horrible. Just bad.

Also, Deja Entendu is not even close to decent enough to fetch the prices it does. Don't get it.

This post made me look up Lydia. I wish I hadn't. And I have no idea what anyone sees in Deja or Brand New.

The Wonder Years are still bad. 

Come to this thread exclusively to find artists that I should forever avoid. Thanks for contributions everyone

e:  Was in Hawaii when Bruno Mars was there. Never heard a song, but heard the tickets were 250 bones. I shit on this person and everyone associated with him/them.

Come to this thread exclusively to find artists that I should forever avoid. Thanks for contributions everyone

e:  Was in Hawaii when Bruno Mars was there. Never heard a song, but heard the tickets were 250 bones. I shit on this person and everyone associated with him/them.

generic pop