Wedding Rings

Mellie's favorite color is black, so I spent several months searching high and low before finding her a ring that I felt she'd like with an onyx stone. Even though it took me a bit longer to find the right one, it's probably her prized possession. Well, that and the antique wedding ring that belonged to her great grandmother that she also wore when the vows were taken. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually bought a pretty expensive ring from a guy who sells on Etsy and other sites and the transaction was fantastic.

Me and my girl agree never to buy diamonds (which is awesome for my wallet) because it's just an industry we don't want to support. But goddam some of these rings look nuts

I actually bought a pretty expensive ring from a guy who sells on Etsy and other sites and the transaction was fantastic.

Me and my girl agree never to buy diamonds (which is awesome for my wallet) because it's just an industry we don't want to support. But goddam some of these rings look nuts

This. Me and my wife stayed away from diamonds.

The engagement ring I gave my wife was traded in for a a set before we were married. I wanted her to pick the ring herself because I suck at this kind of thing. I bought myself a $90 solid black band. I don't care for flashy things and I already had to buy a replacement. I lose shit way to often.

I'm rambling.

Go pick out your rings together. And haggle like a mother fucker.

• 2 weeks later...

I realize this is the board that fetishizes Hot Topic, but stay away from the mall jewelers. Unless you are boring.

I went into a nice shop on jeweler's row in Philly and sat down with the guy to design what I wanted. Like a couple others, no diamonds for us. Mrs. Mean wanted a sapphire, and I went with a classic looking platinum band with one sapphire.

Can you link to the ring you bought, Kyle?

Also, I lucked out and got to use my grandmother's wedding ring when I proposed. It was super affordable (bought it from an aunt), but it worked out better than expected because my lady really loves the vintage, antiquated look, and that's exactly what this ring looks like. It's a huge plate with a bunch of tinier diamonds within it; super rad.

my girlfriend was in hawaii and she picked something like this up - titanium and koa wood. I think she was trying to tell me something.

[image]

I wear a similar ring as my wedding band, mine's a little less square edged, and the wood is ebony. The finish is all but worn off at this point, but the wood itself has held up beautifully.

As for my lovely wife (and soon to be mother of my first child!), we have a pretty cool set up...

Engagement ring was white gold, channel set diamonds. Hard to describe... it's like a coil? Diamonds held in place between the ends of the coil. I'll try to find a pic.

Wedding ring fits right beside it, custom made. Diamonds in a "cleft", small diamonds at the closed end, bigger at the open end. Open end fits in exactly with the engagement ring so when their side-by-side it looks like one big ring.

When baby is born she's get a ring that's a mirror image of the wedding ring, so that if all three are worn it's a complete set.

We always liked the idea of a set of three, besides the event significance mentioned above, a set of three like that can represent birth, life, death. A complete commitment if you will.

EDIT: Closest I could find to the engagement ring

[image]

Except extend the two "ends" of the ring so that it can hold more stones, her's is a three stone.

You get the idea looking at it that you could put a ring on either side that fits in. I believe the band is a five stone? It tapers down until the channel that the diamonds are in closes.

Ugh, no yellow gold (2 posts up). I think it looks so tacky and guido-y. White gold is so classy looking.

I'm nervous (not that I'm close at all) because my gf likes flashy stuff, so nothing simple (aka cheap) will work.

I hope you're not close. Didn't you say you've only been dating for a couple weeks now?

I wear a simple gold wedding band that was my maternal grandfather's. My maternal grandmother, who is still alive, gave my wife her 30th wedding anniversary band to use as her wedding ring.

I really like the idea of knowing that my wife and I are carrying on my grandparents' tradition. It also makes me feel really good to have a piece of my grandfather with me at all times . . . I really miss the shit out of that guy.

Ya know what, I don't know that I can remember my mom's engagement or wedding rings. My parents got divorced when I was 10, but even before that I don't think they wore rings too long. My parents NEVER got along.

I know my dad wore a simple gold band with no real decoration. It had something inscribed on the inside though. I always assumed that's what guys got, I had no idea guys got stones in their bands sometimes.

If I had to guess, my mom is pretty non-flashy, so I bet she got a simple ring with a small single stone and simple, classic-looking mount of some kind. I wonder if she even has it anymore.