Sketchiness from Virgil Dickerson / Suburban Home?

Anyone else had issues with Virgil Dickerson of Suburban Home. Probable Sketchiness Content.

We really didn’t want it to come to this but we don’t really have any other options.

My name is Steve Smeal and I used to play bass in a band called Ruiner. We had the pleasure to release a split 7” with Attica! Attica! on Suburban Home Records as part of their Under The Influence Series. We were very excited because we are all fans of the label and the series. We were assured that we would be given copies of each pressing including test presses for each member of the band. The release finally came out about a year ago, unfortunately after we broke up. We received our copies of the actual pressings right away. Everything looked and sounded great and we were stoked. The test presses however didn’t arrive and we were told they would come in a separate box. We all started going about our post band lives and never really thought about it again.

UNTIL… I was searching on ebay and came across a listing for a test pressing on our split posted by a seller (took the username out because he messaged me and I didn't realize I might be dragging his name through the mud. I Apologize). I asked our singer Rob (who was point of contact with Virgil) if he had received the test presses and just forgotten to pass them out. He told me he had not and I told him about the auction. He then emailed Virgil who responded back just asking for his address. So we figured they would be sent out shortly. I think this was in December? I saw this was also the second test pressing of this record this same seller had sold on ebay so I wrote him and asked “Hey man do you mind letting me know where you got all these Ruiner / Attica Attica test presses? I was in Ruiner and we still haven't received our test copies yet..” to which he responded “Hey man, I won a few in some auctions Suburban Home was doing awhile back. Thats pretty messed up you guys never received copies.”

We have kept emailing Virgil and he is now not responding. We have also tried the phone numbers we have for him with no avail. In the meantime, the same seller has sold either four or five copies of the test press.

I’m not asking for anything that wasn’t promised to us… just copies for the members of the two bands.

I guess this is kind of calling Virgil Dickerson out but we just want to get this resolved and were wondering if any other bands or people that have worked with him might have had a problem like this.

Feel free to email me at stephensmeal (at) gmail (dot) com

Yeah. Your issue with Virgil is just the tip of the iceberg. That previous statement is certainly NOT to reduce the importance of your situation at all but simply to illustrate that there has been extensive posting on this board from about a year or so ago about how badly Virgil had ripped many people off. Its interesting to see that even until this day there are people who were not aware that they had even been screwed.

I hope you get what's owed to you.

As for beating a dead horse...that's exactly what it is...he backed out completely of VC and has nothing to do with it anymore.

Really? I had no idea. Sooooo basically we're fucked and should just start placing our bids on eBay?

In not so many words, yeah, pretty much. As much as it sucks, at this point in the game just chalk it up as a (major) loss.

I don't what other recourses the other people, bands, and labels who are owed money to have taken to resolve anything.

Sorry to hear that you got burnt as such.

Really? I had no idea. Sooooo basically we're fucked and should just start placing our bids on eBay?

In not so many words, yeah, pretty much. As much as it sucks, at this point in the game just chalk it up as a (major) loss.

I don't what other recourses the other people, bands, and labels who are owed money to have taken to resolve anything.

Yeah I mean atleast we're not out money or such it just sucks because most of us are seriously vinyl collectors and even the ones that aren't still want to have one of everything we've done just because it's our band. Can anyone direct me to old threads about this? Would love to read the other bullshit.

Yeah I mean atleast we're not out money or such it just sucks because most of us are seriously vinyl collectors and even the ones that aren't still want to have one of everything we've done just because it's our band. Can anyone direct me to old threads about this? Would love to read the other bullshit.

http://vinylcollective.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=vinylcollectivecooplabel

^ There's a bunch in there (only about the co-op though). Honestly there's so many complaints and topics etc. It's a huge, huge thing. So much ripping off.

Have you tried finding people who won the test presses from his auctions and asking if they'd sell it/trade it to you? Because personally I'd be very receptive if a band member asked me for a test press I owned.

This is nowhere near some of the other problems with him, but I won some records from theoldlp.com forever ago and when I received them, three of the eight were warped. I emailed him and he got back to me that day saying that he would send some more out...that was over six months ago. I made my peace with that loss.

He basically sold a shit ton of vinyl on the limited pressing site and every week were test presses from the UTI series, including some from that release. He may not even have any left. Good luck dude, he owes me a bit of money, not a ton and I already figure it as a loss, but whatever. Learn from your mistakes and don't let it happen again

You can talk to tre at deathwish about getting fucked by virgil.

And look at this under the virgil section

http://vinylcollective.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=44971&start=0

I got screwed over by SH records as well. Not nearly for the amounts others on here were burned for, but I was promised in store credit, and some of my items to be shipped. They never were, I was in fact even in email communication with a guy named Andy. But nothing ever materialized. And my issues simply arose from a few things I placed an order for were actually out of stock, but listed as in stock. I never got store credit or any of the items I paid for. They just kept my money.