Secret Shows

i saw Conor Oberst play a secret show here in Birmingham when he was still dating Maria Taylor and his backing band was "The Taylor Family Band": Maria Taylor (on drums), Taylor Hollingsworth on lead guitar (who is now married to Maria's sister), Maria's dad on keyboards/piano, Macy Taylor (Maria's brother) on bass, and I think Kate Taylor (Maria's sister/Taylor's wife) on acoustic rhythm guitar....Gillian Welch and Conor's dad both came out and played songs with all of them

I'm sure other have seen radder shows, but this was really cool for me at the time

saw dino jr play a myspace secret show in northampton about 4 years ago. it was awesome, but it was literally the hottest show ive ever been to. we pretty much decided to take off after they played feel the pain.

and the antlers opened- that was the best part.

oh fuck! odd future!

when i was at cmj, they were one of the unannounced acts going into the week. then it just randomly popped up on the schedule that morning. craziest show ive ever seen.

I saw Dead To Me get shoved into a bill an they ended up being sandwiched between The Slow Death (headliner) and Dan Padilla.

Also, the Menzingers did a secret show (basically they couldnt' announce themselves as the headliner 'cause they were going to do Riot Fest the next week) with The Reaganomics and Lipstick Homicide. Rad as fuck show.

Two, both at Court Tavern in New Brunswick. Lifetime played there before Bamboozle back in 2006. There was also kind of a secret show where Gaslight Anthem was circumventing a radius clause when the played as "The Jukebox Romeos" back in January of '08. Next year they sold out Webster Hall.

Theres probably one I'm forgetting...

I saw New Found Glory play Guitar Center on Sunset Blvd to a crowd of 10 people. Basically, they announced on Twitter that the first 10 people to show up to Guitar Center and state that they were there for NFG would get wristbands and get in. It was the first time they performed songs off of Radiosurgery, so that was a real treat. They performed a handful of songs and stuck around and did an hour long interview that never got aired. I really enjoy band interviews, so that was awesome. The interviewer literally asked them every question he could have imagined. It was great, definitely one of the best things I've attended.

Against Me! played a small house show in Gainesville in March of 2009 under the name Gift Certificate. That was fun.

Someone there got it all on camera, but no one has uploaded anything as far as I know.

wasn't that the last show at the arc?

Nah. I was at this show as well. I believe it was the same house that the BTMI Fest fiasco occurred at later on. 1231 house or something. I do think Against Me! secretly played the last Ark show though.

Nothing else really comes to mind for me other than a few after hours Fest shows that were kept on the dl since Fest has to be publicly anti-house show now.

wasn't that the last show at the arc?

Nah. I was at this show as well. I believe it was the same house that the BTMI Fest fiasco occurred at later on. 1231 house or something. I do think Against Me! secretly played the last Ark show though.

Nothing else really comes to mind for me other than a few after hours Fest shows that were kept on the dl since Fest has to be publicly anti-house show now.

The ARC made it until 2009? That's awesome. I saw some killer shows there including Calvin Johnson solo and The Butchies (who slayed it) amongst others. That was a cool space.

Omar Rodriguez Lopez did a secret Mars Volta tour under his solo name last year. He apparently played all Mars Volta material and only like one solo song or so per show. I missed this tour and I am completely regretful for it. I honestly could not afford the ticket/did not have transportation so it was not completely my fault.