Old Canes "Shapeshifter" Kickstarter

• 1 month later...

Oof...  I was going to go with the $25 option, then at the last second decided to go with just the $15 option.  It's not about the money, as someone said, it's about the fact that he solicited support from his fans, strung them along at best (ripped them off at worse), and hasn't even pretended to care.

I'm sure I'll buy the new album, but I won't be happy about it!  haha...

The worst part about the new album is that they're probably going to tour for it for the forseeable future, so there are no records coming anytime soon (ever).  Sucks.

I couldn't really put my finger on it, but I think that's what really pisses me off. He made an album after claiming to have writer's block. When taking 4 grand directly from his fans, he should have put a priority on getting the Old Canes released. If he wasn't prepared to put a priority on the Old Canes, he shouldn't have petitioned the fans for money.

• 3 weeks later...

omg an update:

Ridiculous, Insane, and Beyond The Pale. Words to describe how long it has taken for this project to deliver. Like many things in my life, this project has suffered in the Big Juggle of chronic over-booking, and acute time deficiency syndrome.

Everyone that has backed this project deserved for this to be carried through to completion a long time ago. Obviously. That has been the case. So where are we now?

The lastest bit of the juggle has been the new Appleseed Cast album, which is finished, and off my plate. I have resolved not to book any other recording projects until the Shapeshifter series, and the next Old Canes album are done. As a reward for sticking with it all this time, everyone will be getting the new album in the same format as they receive the 7” series.

Moving forward. This series is now my top priority.

omg an update:

Ridiculous, Insane, and Beyond The Pale. Words to describe how long it has taken for this project to deliver. Like many things in my life, this project has suffered in the Big Juggle of chronic over-booking, and acute time deficiency syndrome.

Everyone that has backed this project deserved for this to be carried through to completion a long time ago. Obviously. That has been the case. So where are we now?

The lastest bit of the juggle has been the new Appleseed Cast album, which is finished, and off my plate. I have resolved not to book any other recording projects until the Shapeshifter series, and the next Old Canes album are done. As a reward for sticking with it all this time, everyone will be getting the new album in the same format as they receive the 7” series.

Moving forward. This series is now my top priority.

I'm confused about the last statement. If we ordered the vinyl 7" series we get the new old canes on vinyl???

Hey this is Chris.  I understand the sentiments, and frankly I would have a ‘believe it when I see it’ outlook on this too.  However, for the record, this project will be fulfilled, and currently is the ONLY recording project that I am working on.  I will not be taking on any other recording projects until both this series AND the next Old Canes album are done.  That means they will be done soon. 

My question is, would it have been better that, when recording and listening back to the songs, and not being happy with what I have yet… that I go ahead and release that?  That’s not how I work.  I don’t just write some words and call it a day.  I want those words to not only say what I want, but to sound musical and sound good recorded.  That means sometimes I scrap songs and rewrite them over and over until I find the right words.

I’m not going to put out something I don’t like, and I won’t know it until I hear it back recorded.

Add to this, as I mentioned in my update, is that for the last 2 years I have been constantly bouncing between, work, family, freelance projects, and the new Appleseed Cast album.  It’s passed in a blink.

With my update what I was trying to express was that I fully recognize that the 7” series has taken way too long to fulfill.  I appreciate everyone’s extraordinary patience.  My sole focus right now is to record my Old Canes songs.  To tell you the truth I am very excited about them. 

Take this at face value.  What I am not saying is ‘ sorry, maybe I’ll get around to it someday.’

i'm sure most of us appreciate the update and we're as excited for new music as everyone else. most of us really respect the project. believe it or not the "i'll believe it when i see it" attitude is almost a sign of respect. had you been one of the artists or labels that has burned some of the fans here like they/we've been burned before, you'd have gotten much worse sentiments. of course we want the best music possible. you just have to understand what the expectation was when you accepted our money. i can't wait for the project, and i'm sure in the end it'll happen and it'll be great, it just seemed like you had brushed away the project for a while to work on other things, which would normally be fine, but you asked your fans to fund it. most of us will continue being patient, but you can't not expect a bit of disappointment and let down feelings. 

good luck on it, and i speak for an overwhelming majority of us when i say we are stoked to hear the series completed as well as the new OC LP and appleseed cast. 

The sentiment is born of asking fans for funding - obviously some of your most dedicated fans - then offering two updates in two years. There are plenty of professionals and parents on here who understand being busy and the balancing act of life but we also understand how easy it is to tap out a one line message on the Internet. As time passed, messages were sent via Kickstarter and people felt ignored when no responses came. We create images of the artists we appreciate and I suspect most never figured that there would be silence after so much time passed by an artist we felt so down to earth. So as was noted above, the frustration is in a way a compliment but the anger has been real. Its not about $20 as in the end most can handle that loss.

Hopefully you finish it and set it right but I'd be lying if I didn't express disappointment in the handling. Anyway, I Hope things are well and that great music is headed our way. Sounds like lots of good things are happening in your life and that's always good to hear be it from a friend or stranger.