Gaslight Anthem "45 RPM Club" fan club membership (w/bonus 7-inch annually)

That blog post and just other things that seem to be happening with them just make it seem like he is feeling a little disillusioned with where the band is right now artistically and maybe the lack of progression within the music world. I know they sell out on the east coast, but it just amazed me that when I saw them at the Fox in Oakland that it really wasn't that packed. They are a talented band and it should have been instantly sold out. It will be interesting to see where the sound goes. Sometimes you have to stretch out to find what your real niche is as an artist.

On another note, I finally got my goddamned 45 and it was shipped in a deep 7" box with some bubblewrap, which protected it nicely. The "paper" cover is fine. That was how most 45's used to be packaged. Kids today are getting too spoiled with slick, die cut, foldout covers. I miss the zeroxed or cheaply made foldover covers.

He did the same thing Saturday. People ate it up and sang. Then again it was a free show that people had to jump through hoops just to get tickets. The show was good overall and the crowd was into every band except the opener. He just rambled so much though. Really awkward to watch.

I was at the show Sunday... he was trying to get the crowd to sing him an acapella version of Lady Gaga's Bad Romance. And people booed, heartily. He shouldn't be so shocked about that. Like he said in the blog, we DID pay to see HIS songs.

Lol. I doubt I would have booed but I definitely would have looked at my friends and said "wtf?".

I don't really buy into the whole "we've changed since the 59 sound" idea. I get it for say, Tom Gabel. He was 18 years old when he was writing those old Against Me! tunes. You learn a lot about the world going from your teens to the adult years. Saying you've changed a ton from 27 to 33? I don't really buy it. You signed to a major, it changed you, and some of your old fans aren't happy. Oh well. Basically broke up Jawbreaker. You've got bands like less than jake who went up and came back to the indie scene cause they were more comfortable there. Some like Green Day thrived after moving up to a major.

Guess I'm just saying it's fine if he changed. People can listen to the new material or walk away. It's patronizing of him to suggest that WE are doing something wrong by expressing a desire for the old days because we liked those songs more. You mean I'm not going to get the entire 59 sound album played live when I go to a Gaslight show? No shit. I don't need that explained through a Kill Bill analogy. Throw a couple songs from your older albums in each show. That's all anyone expects. And please, change those songs up a little bit. I don't think I've seen a Gaslight show outside the first 2 (one when only SOS was out, and one with Senor) that didn't have both 59 Sound (song) and Film Noir. Not that I hate those songs or anything, but I just want some more variety.

I don't think he's saying he doesn't want to play their old songs at shows. In fact, he states specifically that even though he feels the band has changed but they'll still play those old tunes.

I think he's much more specifically calling out those that come to the shows and expect a certain cover they've done or a set list they may have heard at a different show etc. That's what he isn't interested in.

I get where he is coming from. If I spent all my time writing songs only for people to show up to my show and requesting covers of songs that aren't mine but I may have done in the past, I'd be a little bit miffed. That isn't what I'd want them at the show for.

I guess. I just kinda assume that people wouldn't show up expecting to hear the exact setlist from 2008 or 2010 or whenever. Maybe there are a few, but I would think they would be drowned out by the majority who think like normal fans of bands. Dudes are going to call out for songs to be played. It doesn't mean we hate the show if they don't get played.

I don't know. Maybe you had to be there. I just think that 99% of Gaslight fans think about their shows rationally so if there is 1% yelling "you suck, sellouts" he just needs some thicker skin.

Like most things, the truth is probably somewhere in between the two sides.

I've mentioned this before too about the covers -- I have no issue with a different cover being played on each tour (or no covers at all). What does bug me a little is that when Gaslight was on an indie-punk label they played indie-punk covers (trusty chords, Lost in the supermarket isn't indie but it's punk, the replacements, alkaline trio, etc). The classic rock influences have stayed constant so throw those out. Now, it seems like when the band signed to a major label they started leaving their roots behind. Now he covers Nirvana, sings Bad Freakin' Romance, tweets Soundgarden lyrics, and so on.

I know it's not like you can draw a line in the sand and point to the two different approaches. The 59 sound b-side was a Pearl Jam cover. They played Astro Zombies last time I saw them , which is punk. But I don't think you can deny that overall the way Brian has expressed his influences through covers, interviews, on stage t-shirts, etc has changed from the indie label days to today.

And just me personally, I like Nirvana but don't care for Pearl Jam, Soundgarden, and a whole bunch of other 90s alternative. I am a little bummed out by it. Still my favorite band and everything, just wish they would still cover some indie music. That's my scene (and a lot of ours, who supported the band from the beginning).

Brian Fallon is the Kurt Cobain of our generation, as in he has no clue how to deal with this shit. Everyone is being finicky. Just enjoy the show. Dude's listening to something different and suddenly everyone's panties are in a bunch.

I get what your trying to say, but no Nirvana was on an entirely different level. Kurt Cobain wrote really dark, mysterious, and cryptic lyrics that really help change the landscape of music in the early 90s. Brain Fallon and the Gaslight Anthem haven't quite done the same. No doubt they are popular, but nowhere near Nirvana popular.

I get what your trying to say, but no Nirvana was on an entirely different level. Kurt Cobain wrote really dark, mysterious, and cryptic lyrics that really help change the landscape of music in the early 90s. Brain Fallon and the Gaslight Anthem haven't quite done the same. No doubt they are popular, but nowhere near Nirvana popular.

I'm not comparing them as artists or by popularity. I'm comparing them as musicians who have no clue how to deal with fame and the consequences that come with it. Brian trips over this kind of stuff every few months. I just hope he just learns deal with it better.

I'm not comparing them as artists or by popularity. I'm comparing them as musicians who have no clue how to deal with fame and the consequences that come with it. Brian trips over this kind of stuff every few months. I just hope he just learns deal with it better.

Yeah I get what you're saying with each artists respective level of success they both had trouble dealing with it. I agree to that point, but I still think Kurt Cobain is a bad comparison. Kurt was into some real hard drugs and media followed him everywhere at one point. MTV was always up their ass to the point where it seemed inescapable. Nirvana reached pop culture level status. I think Brian is mostly dealing with too many industry people in his ear, along with some fans who I guess don't like the direction their headed in.

Yeah I get what you're saying with each artists respective level of success they both had trouble dealing with it. I agree to that point, but I still think Kurt Cobain is a bad comparison. Kurt was into some real hard drugs and media followed him everywhere at one point. MTV was always up their ass to the point where it seemed inescapable. Nirvana reached pop culture level status. I think Brian is mostly dealing with too many industry people in his ear, along with some fans who I guess don't like the direction their headed in.

True. It's always the drugs and those dorks at MTV.

There's always some asshat at their shows yelling at Brian to play a song. Someone at the Belly Up kept yelling "Trusty Chords!" and "Chuck Ragan!" the entire night. I forgot how Brian confronted her, but it was gold. Good set and besides that girl and her really lame guy-friend saying LOL every 5 minutes, a great time. I guess it does get really annoying after a while. Hopefully he gets over it.

Kind of odd reading that old tumblr post about him not really wanting to sing songs he wrote as a 'kid'. I'm guessing its him changing. Moving on up, in the world and becoming disconnected with everything they used to song about, or even hold dear.

He also states bands should sleep on floors and such, I highly doubt he's slept on a floor, or even a couch for quite a few years.

Anyway, I thought it kind of odd, a guy known for singing songs and writing about the good old days, doesn't want to sing old songs.

Meh

I saw them in march and very much enjoyed the show. They played Orphans for a girl who really requested it . I personally got into them recently so Handwritten was fantastic to me but i have listened to all of their albums many times and love 59 sound and American slang.

I think its there show and they can play what they want "but" should respect fan criticism to a degree as they pay for the show, merch, and new music.