Gaslight Anthem "45 RPM Club" fan club membership (w/bonus 7-inch annually)

This band is going to implode and that saddens me. Between this and all of Brian's bitchiness lately I am left to believe that they have put a ceiling on how big they can get. 

Pretty sure that ceiling was there regardless, but I agree. I think one more album is a safe bet and then Brian is solo for awhile. And fair enough, really. No sense sticking with it if it isn't working for you anymore.

Not to mention that Handwritten was pretty mediocre

Eh...it depends. Once you get past Too Much Blood, that b-side is amazing. It is a couple of steps up from American Slang.

Pretty sure that ceiling was there regardless, but I agree. I think one more album is a safe bet and then Brian is solo for awhile. And fair enough, really. No sense sticking with it if it isn't working for you anymore.

I mean, they were never going to be mainstream, but what I am saying is that they will not be a band that will be celebrating 20 years together or anything (a la The Souls). They've sped up their demise. And by they, I mean Brian and their management. I still firmly believe that the other dudes don't have big heads based on brief encounters I've had. 

Eh...it depends. Once you get past Too Much Blood, that b-side is amazing. It is a couple of steps up from American Slang.

I mean, they were never going to be mainstream, but what I am saying is that they will not be a band that will be celebrating 20 years together or anything (a la The Souls). They've sped up their demise. And by they, I mean Brian and their management. I still firmly believe that the other dudes don't have big heads based on brief encounters I've had.

Benny is one of nicest people ever. For real.

Lexicon, I stand corrected.

I just hope you get your record soon!

I feel the like big lights are just within their grasp. I'm not a Gaslight expert at all, but their records all pretty much have the same sound. I feel like they need to branch out and experiment and maybe even make a record that many of us would say, "This isn't a TGA record!" From that they could grow and strengthen their sound. Get Brian on the phone and let me talk to him.

I saw them first just before the 59 sound came out, and Brian was great. He even tried his best to help us get a mate in who forgot his ID. Fast Forward to their headlining show in Perth back in May, and he was drunk and awkward. 

You could always tell he wasn't an extrovert, but getting drunk and saying/doing awkward things didn't help the cause at all. 

Have you missed all of the stuff about Brian losing his shit on the crowd multiple times? Have you missed how their fan club hasn't fulfilled orders of customers who paid over a year ago? That's what I am talking about.

Yeah, this isn't going to "speed up their demise" at all.

Have you missed all of the stuff about Brian losing his shit on the crowd multiple times? Have you missed how their fan club hasn't fulfilled orders of customers who paid over a year ago? That's what I am talking about. 

stop reading tabloids. (and the fanclub thing, yeah, it's lame. but they're not exactly the ones out there mailing out orders now are they?)

you said it yourself, you've never met him. The dude is still as nice as ever. Don't judge a man on a what could potentially have been just a bad day, coupled with a serious case of internet conjecture

you said it yourself, you've never met him. The dude is still as nice as ever. Don't judge a man on a what could potentially have been just a bad day, coupled with a serious case of internet conjecture

Not sure it's total conjecture, I mean he did take to the internet and write a lengthy blog post that wasn't exactly a sunny picture of the future...

Not saying it means a whole lot but if people want to express doubt on a prosperous future for this band, I think there's plenty of evidence there for them to do so (not to mention the flat reception for the record they just put out).

Bands break up - it could happen.

totally. and who's to say, it could happen sooner rather than later with gaslight. that's fine.

What I was referring to is the fact that somehow Fallon is now being portrayed as this pompus, big-headed jerk who's personally spiraling/falling apart, and killing TGA.

That's the part that's straight up not true. In the 4 times I've seen them this past year, the guy gets up on stage, plays a great show of Gaslight Anthem songs, interacts with the crowd, deals with people who won't stop yelling "OMFG TRUSTIE CHORDZ" and then walks around after the show, talking to people and taking pictures. That's where conjecture comes into play. People read that diatribe he posted and think "he's falling apart, they're doomed" (for some reason), but don't seem to remember what happens at 90% of their shows.

Yeah, this isn't going to "speed up their demise" at all.

It totally will when people who have been fans of the band are getting annoyed with the way that they act on stage.

stop reading tabloids. (and the fanclub thing, yeah, it's lame. but they're not exactly the ones out there mailing out orders now are they?)

Honestly, don't flatter yourself. You always seem to hop on board against whatever I say as if you have some sort of reason to know (not believe, know) that I am wrong, and I really have no idea what would give you that impression here. I never really even notice your posts except when you come on here to try and attack me for whatever reason. I've never met him, correct, I have, however, read his blog posts and seen how he talks down to the crowd. There isn't much to say about a nice guy who acts like a dick, is there? Not to even mention, I would have to wonder how often you see him that he'd still be "nice as ever" being that they don't tour outside of the northeast very often. I was at the Brooklyn show a few weeks back and all of the die-hard barricade huggers talked about how he's changed, but I suppose that you know more than they do. A bad day is a bad day, but when the person carries it on and shows that they're bitter, it's a little hard to get behind the "it was just a bad day" mentality. I can also say that on their most recent string of shows my friend was backstage with the guys for one of the dates and he said Brian stood by himself and when he came over my buddy went to hand him a beer and Brian said in a bit of a harsh tone "No, I got it."

I never claimed to have any sort of inside knowledge of them going downhill, but as was mentioned here, disappointing album sales, less than pleasant relations with the fans and the rumors circulating around the NY/NJ scene about his personal life might be indications that tensions are running high. I don't think that it is too farfetched to look at them and say "wow, that's something that is only going to go downhill from here" the same way that you would look at a company or a couple in a relationship and get that impression. 

But again, this all formed my opinion. I'm not going to be a chode like input:string and pretend that I'm smarter than anyone.

I'm not into participating in this kind of speculation butttt I'm pretty sure Brian went through a divorce recently, so I think that would contribute to his temperamental behavior and attitude lately. It's gonna take some time for him. And yeah, the fan club was a bitter experience for most, even myself. But I just chalk all this up to rough patches. The band's nowhere near done. 

It's gonna take some time for him. And yeah, the fan club was a bitter experience for most, even myself. But I just chalk all this up to rough patches. The band's nowhere near done. 

I'm just hoping 

1) i get that damn record (haha),

2) year two goes far more smoothly, so i can rejoin the following year.

3) if i don't get the 7", they mail me the skate deck. a boy can dream right?

• 1 month later...

totally. and who's to say, it could happen sooner rather than later with gaslight. that's fine.

What I was referring to is the fact that somehow Fallon is now being portrayed as this pompus, big-headed jerk who's personally spiraling/falling apart, and killing TGA.

That's the part that's straight up not true. In the 4 times I've seen them this past year, the guy gets up on stage, plays a great show of Gaslight Anthem songs, interacts with the crowd, deals with people who won't stop yelling "OMFG TRUSTIE CHORDZ" and then walks around after the show, talking to people and taking pictures. That's where conjecture comes into play. People read that diatribe he posted and think "he's falling apart, they're doomed" (for some reason), but don't seem to remember what happens at 90% of their shows.

Interesting interview addressing the near break-up of the band starts on page 74: http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1213_nz_lowres

Interesting interview addressing the near break-up of the band starts on page 74: http://issuu.com/redbulletin.com/docs/1213_nz_lowres

Not sure if it's just the way it's written or not, but that's a whole lot of "I" and "me." Closing with "I know I can do what I want with these guys."?

I know it's always essentially been "Brian Fallon and the Gaslight Anthem," even in the eary days, but there used to be a lot more camaraderie.

Still doesn't sound like things are going that great. I still say one more album. If whatever blues riff record with slide guitar and piano and John Bonham "grooves" he's talking about doesn't go that well, he's going solo. "Ryan Adams couldn't make 'Heartbreaker' with Whiskeytown" is a pretty ominous statement in my opinion.

Not sure if it's just the way it's written or not, but that's a whole lot of "I" and "me." Closing with "I know I can do what I want with these guys."?

Noticed that as well. And yeah that last sentence was kinda weird.

"Ryan Adams couldn't make 'Heartbreaker' with Whiskeytown" is a pretty ominous statement in my opinion.

If a record as good as Heartbreaker is to come from Gaslight breaking up (followed by a Cold Roses with a new band, ha), then they should break up today. ;)