Gaslight Anthem "45 RPM Club" fan club membership (w/bonus 7-inch annually)

Whether or not an album is a failure isn't really based on whether or not you like it. I don't know the exact numbers for Handwritten, but it seemed to be a pretty big summer release that did well (for that genre) and then died off in autumn, almost immediately without a lot of buzz since, despite constant touring. That's the barometer. No way is Mercury happy about that and no way could that album be considered a success.

One more before Gaslight is back on an indie, if it even goes that far. I'm curious as to whether the contract with Mercury is the whole band or just Fallon. Would not be surprised if it's the latter.

My one and only complaint about Handwritten: "National Anthem" should have been a B-Side, and "Blue Dahlia" should have taken its place as the closing track on the album.

I totally agree that they should have ended the album with Blue Dahlia. But besides that...Handwritten was a really solid album imo. I find myself still listening to it regularly. I can't believe that this "flopped" in a lot of folks minds. 

A failure in terms of quality isn't the same as a failure in terms of sales/profit.

Can't imagine more people having a copy of SOS than Handwritten. And after the rise in popularity over the past few years..it's hard for me to believe that they didn't have similar sales of Handwritten to the other albums. Maybe the major label was expecting an explosion!

Can't imagine more people having a copy of SOS than Handwritten. And after the rise in popularity over the past few years..it's hard for me to believe that they didn't have similar sales of Handwritten to the other albums. Maybe the major label was expecting an explosion!

The expectations of a label like Mercury are much higher than XOXO or S1D. 

In terms of whether HW was considered a success by Mercury, that guy shit talking on the Gaslight forum could've been completely full of shit.

Yeah, that is what I am wondering. There's always the 1% that think that a good album is shit but if you took the pulse of all their fans, I bet the vast majority would say "it may not be my favorite, but it's damn good". Selling out shows, they were getting played on ESPN (not sure if this is ESPNs doing or if Mercury pays for this). Up until today I was thinking that things were going along fine for the band. Where there is smoke, there is fire, though. So I'm sure there is something going on.

At some point if the label is hammering them, I would hope that Brian would say "yo...get the fuck off my back." I realize that you give up some freedom with signing to a major. You don't sign away your soul.

Just sharing because this person has zero posts, but I got a pm from "TGAmgr" asking if I had gotten my 7" and if there was anything she could help me with. So it sounds like the customer service aspect of this thing has been upgraded. Definitely a plus. Think I'm in for another year.

Just sharing because this person has zero posts, but I got a pm from "TGAmgr" asking if I had gotten my 7" and if there was anything she could help me with. So it sounds like the customer service aspect of this thing has been upgraded. Definitely a plus. Think I'm in for another year.

I also did and had a few e-mails back in forth with her. She works for the band's management company and is working closely with Infinitemerch to get everything resolved. I am grateful for her stepping up and getting involved.

Haven't been active at dimestore in a while cause the band hasn't been doing much but touring (and none in Detroit). All this talk kinda peaked my interest again. Just went over and saw this:

http://www.redbullsoundselect.com/posts/rbss-gaslight-anthem-songs

Definitely better than your average GA acoustic recording that are all over youtube. Recommended.

I also did and had a few e-mails back in forth with her. She works for the band's management company and is working closely with Infinitemerch to get everything resolved. I am grateful for her stepping up and getting involved.

And for what it's worth, she told me the band themselves alerted management to the problems. Not sure if that makes sense, but regardless, I agree that it's good to see somebody addressing this. That said, if I were to ever pay for this, I'd probably wait to see how the next one goes first...

Hello all,

I have been working closely with Infinite Merch to resolve the 7" issue. On behalf of everyone involved, I apologize for the delay.

They have assured me that the 7" are shipping shortly. They've even included pictures of the merch in packages.

For the fans I've been in contact with: thank you for your continued support, kind words, and patience.

Please, feel free to contact me with any concerns.

Best,

Christine J. Carson - Esther Creative Group

Hello all,

I have been working closely with Infinite Merch to resolve the 7" issue. On behalf of everyone involved, I apologize for the delay.

They have assured me that the 7" are shipping shortly. They've even included pictures of the merch in packages.

For the fans I've been in contact with: thank you for your continued support, kind words, and patience.

Best,

Christine,

If you are working "closely" with Infinitecrap you should know that they are already shipping. It's really a case of too little too late. Too bad you weren't working closely with them when we weren't getting updates or our emails weren't being answered. It's funny that after I finally got my 7" is when I actually got a response to my question about messed up tracking numbers. I'm sure it's by complete coincidence, but on that same day I got an email to get me to renew my membership. No thanks.

No reason to be a dick. Not really fair to take a piss on someone who doesn't have anything to do with the problem that we're all up in arms about.

The management group is now working on rectifying the situation, but didn't cause it.

When some rep from Infinite Merch starts posting on the boards, by all means let them have it.

No reason to be a dick. Not really fair to take a piss on someone who doesn't have anything to do with the problem that we're all up in arms about.

The management group is now working on rectifying the situation, but didn't cause it.

When some rep from Infinite Merch starts posting on the boards, by all means let them have it.

I hear what you're saying, but shouldn't this management group have gotten involved a long time ago? Isn't that part of their job as manager? I guess it seems timely that we are getting responses to emails and people "working to rectify the situation" now that people are due for renewal. No one seemed to care a few months ago. So yeah, they will get some of my piss on them.

Hello all,

Best,

Can you explain to us how the price increase decision was made? It would seem like the inclusion of non-vinyl collectors (more members) would bring the price down. We know the costs of some of these things in general. A 7" costs about $3 and a shirt, maybe $6 or so. Higher quality shirt? Maybe $10. Whatever, call it $15 in material costs, I'm trying to be generous. $5 shipping. We are paying $20 in markup and for the overhead? The posters weren't that cheap, either. I love Gaslight and normally buy everything they put out without thinking about it but 40 bones for a t-shirt and 7" is really pushing where I draw the line.

And I'm not bitching too hard about this but the perks of the club really benefit the people in NYC and NJ to the point of being unfair to the rest of us. Free tickets to Conan? Tickets to tons of shows that would otherwise sell out? That kinda stuff would probably make it worth the $25 we paid last year by itself. GA played one show last year in Detroit after the club formed and it was actually in my advantage not to use the presale because I could walk up to the door and buy tickets without any fees.

I'm used to Detroit getting skipped on shows and I get why. It would be pretty sweet if there was a regional event that happened for fan club members only each year. An example might be that at a Chicago show, there was an acoustic preshow that only fan club members could attend. Chicago could cover Detroit, Cleveland, Indy, etc... I realize they can't play extra shows everywhere. That's just a tour. But a better balance can be struck than just so much happening on the East Coast.

Include a show with my $40 (or any number of other cool things, a show is just an idea), and I can justify the cost in my head.

My first post here...so don't be too hard.

But I think those price increases, were to absorb the losses they made in the first year. 

10c is 40 dollars for worldwide...and obviously this is the model that this is based on, but then there's that 12 dollars for postage on top of that...I know International postage has went up and all, but not 10c. I say this is damage control.

I think it would have been nice to offer existing members renewals at the same price for what was many a subpar experience. My wife might renew because of most of the perks being in the NYC area. (The Live on Letterman was a pretty nice perk.) As for people around the rest of the country for the most part didn't really see any benefit. Can't blame people for not renewing when its $15 more and for what?

But I think those price increases, were to absorb the losses they made in the first year. 

10c is 40 dollars for worldwide...and obviously this is the model that this is based on, but then there's that 12 dollars for postage on top of that...I know International postage has went up and all, but not 10c. I say this is damage control.

The upcharge for the poster could have absorbed those losses. 

I understand the thought but that is bad business. To draw an analogy -- If Ford has a bad year with the F-150 (recalls, bad press, etc), do they come out the next year and jack the price up to $70k to cover losses from the previous year?

The answer is no. They give incentives and try and focus on rebuilding customer loyalty. Get positive momentum, and then try to raise their prices. This is going in the opposite direction.

They can do what they want and it always comes down to "buy it or walk away". But I saw Gaslight in front of 30 people in '07 in a dive bar in Detroit, I saw them last year in front of thousands, and every show in between. I've bought all their albums the second I could. I have Gaslight Tees and a hoodie and a coffee mug. I make $65k a year so I'm not scrounging for $40.

Not trying to say that I am the greatest fan in the world and this club should cater to me but the way that I look at it, if I'm in that position and think "$40 is just too much for a t-shirt and 7 inch," then I predict another rough year for this club. Whoever is making these decisions can try and prove me wrong.