$150 Audiophile Turntable: This could be interesting

With a manual table, the platter SHOULD be spinning the entire time it's switched on.. I also like you said it seems heavy. Though it's only MDF for the plinth, this should be a massive step up from the plastic pieces of shit a lot here own. ATLP60, crosley etc...

I kind if want one to try and compare to my very vintage rega planar 2. I'm guessing they should be quite close in terms of sound.

To anyone who has got on of these could you tell me is it powered by a wallwart type power supply? And is the arm a uni-pivot like it looks in the pictures?

Also it would be great if someone could do a back to back comparison with the Project as that's a pretty well known standard to measure against.

I am a great fan of the uni-pivot arm so some pictures would be good and might well buy one next time I'm in the states if it has a plug in type PSU which means I can substitute it for a 240V one when I get it home.

It wouldn't be the first time I've bought a turntable back on the plane.

Agreed for the need of a side by side comparison with the Carbon. I'm seriously considering getting one of these with the acrylic platter and cartridge upgrade. $300 for this setup, or $450 for the same type of setup with a Debut Carbon? hmmmm.....

same exact boat ^

Want to move my ATLP60 to another room as an alternative and have a nice table out in the main area. Want either the upgraded orbit, or the debut carbon.

Well the 2M Red on the Carbon is a lot better than the OM5 cart on the U-Turn. I'm willing to bet that the tonearm is a big step up as well. Then there's the bearing, motor, tonearm wiring, the platter itself, and how they compare is still a mistery. So who knows. But from the details I do know, and from the experience I have with this industry, I'd put my money on the Carbon being well worth the extra cost, and a better price/performance choice. But again, this is strictly from the little details we do know and from what I expect, so no-one please take this as a statement of facts.

I just read a member review on another website where he says he really likes the table a lot.....for the price. Of course he also makes it clear he's comparing it to his two other $3000 turntables (Scout and Garrard) and says it's 15 to 25% the player that those are in regards to audio performance which is to be expected. 

so for basically 5% of the price he's saying it's definitely outperforming  and that's a good thing. He says he'll slap a GRADO cart on it as opposed to the one the Orbit shipped with sometime today and see how big a difference it makes then report on it.

I just read a member review on another website where he says he really likes the table a lot.....for the price. Of course he also makes it clear he's comparing it to his two other $3000 turntables (Scout and Garrard) and says it's 15 to 25% the player that those are in regards to audio performance which is to be expected. 

so for basically 5% of the price he's saying it's definitely outperforming  and that's a good thing. He says he'll slap a GRADO cart on it as opposed to the one the Orbit shipped with sometime today and see how big a difference it makes then report on it.

A superb example of the law of diminishing returns when it comes to the high end.

It feels really good to my hands.  Nice and heavy.  The spool for the belt seemed sort of loose at first, but maybe that's not a problem.  It hasn't affected the sound or anything so far.

I don't know anyone around here who has one, but if I did, then I definitely would.  I know a lot of people will be deciding between an Orbit and a Carbon.

I've got a Carbon where in IL are you?  Haha

Can you link us to this thread please?

Hm, just read that part:

Not a surprise given the relative costs of these two rigs, but I would say the U-Turn is subjectively about 15-25% of the Garrard. Again, I'm not knocking it - it cost about 5% as much, so it is actually an over-performer.

Kind of a useless statement, as the entire world of hi-fi works this way. A $1k cart performs 90% of a 10k cart, yet only costs 10% as much. When you go up in performance, the rise in price is always exponential, not linear.

Still, looking forward to more reviews. There is a definite lack of tables worth buying in that price range.

Hi all, so i was just wondering. This orbit comes with both a counter weight and anti-skate right? Pardon me since i use a lp60 currently and am looking to upgrade to this or carbon! I see that carbon has an extra part where u hang it behind the stylus, and i think thats the anti-skate which i dont see on the orbit, thus Im asking!