Signed records

I would never purchase any vinyl signed, for much the same reason as a lot of you are mentioning. Unless I've met the band and have a memory of the signature, it is meaningless to me.

That being said, I got Tera Melos to sign my self titled copy of their record and next to all their signatures they drew faces on all the dudes holding chainsaws. I'd never want to sell it and if for some desperate reason I did, I feel like it's something that would devalue the record for anyone else (though I really love it and it's one of my favorite records in my collection because of it). Talking with them while they were signing it was a really special memory for me that's completely priceless.

Going off of what jhulud said, the value of your records shouldn't be that important to you.

I'm not overly worried about the value of my records. The only reason I asked this is because I'm considering selling it. I agree with everybody here that says that what's important is the memory it brings. But my memory is that Elvis Cortez was a complete dick that day at Warped Tour. Here's the story: That day I went to their merch booth and Elvis was there tending to it. I figured, why not, I'll get him to sign it. Then the band went on probably about an hour or so later. Elvis got pissed at the audience because people weren't getting into it. (keep in mind, this is in Atlanta in July durring a heat wave. Heat index was probably like 115 that day). About 10 minutes they just quit the set and got off stage. That kinda pissed me off. There were people in the pit and stuff, but I guess it wasn't enough for them. So yeah. The only memory I have of the band is them being total assholes. So that's the only reason I care.

I like getting things signed. I also have a rule that if I get something signed, it stays. I'm not in the business of selling autographed stuff. I got that item signed because it means something to me. The band has to really start to suck horribly, so much so that I'm ashamed to have the item in general, for me to want to give it up. If the item in question doesn't have that personal connection, there's a chance I'd let it go, but I don't have a lot of things like that.

There's one or two records I've bought with a signature off ebay like that. The reason being is that it's very unlikely if not impossible for me to get the signatures on my own, like with the In God We Trust, Inc. lineup of the Dead Kennedys, or things that are signed by Richey Edwards from Manic Street Preachers. Richey stuff is particularly nice for me 'caus eI'm a massive Manics fan, but I don't go out of my way to get something that's signed by him. I've gotten a few things off ebay that were signed by various Manics, but they were always stuff I needed to fill in gaps in the collection and I would've gotten them anyway (like a cassette single their singer signed the artwork for, and I needed a copy of that. Got it for maybe 3 pounds. and a signed copy of the b-sides and rarities collection from 2003 in the digipak case that I still needed that was signed by the remaining 3, and that was only a few pounds as well.) But the only MAnics stuff that's signed that I'll pay any more for is the stuff that's signed by the member who's not around to sign anything anymore.

This has been a ramble session.

The band has to really start to suck horribly, so much so that I'm ashamed to have the item in general, for me to want to give it up.

I agree. Anything else I have signed I wouldn't even consider giving up. In my case, I liked the band before I saw them, but then I saw how they treated their fans. Now I want nothing to do with them.

This is the only thing I have signed but only because it's one of my all time favorite records and Kevin Barnes is a hero and a genius to me. When I met him at my first oM show, I had the record in my hands and he sort of asked me if I wanted him to sign it. I was so nervous to just be in his presence and I think he knew what I wanted to say. Super super nice guy by the way, I could have talked to him for hours.

tumblr_m9rtkahJQT1qbbalao1_500.png

I like getting CDs signed. I rarely get LPs signed though. The only LP I got signed is my favorite album from 2011 and was a fantastic night. I got Daybreak by Saves The Day signed cause that line up has changed so much that this was the Daybreak lineup but also the first time in a long time the band started to work as band instead of just Chris's project. I just got the cover signed.

Musically I'm not big into getting signatures. However I do have a handful of signed records, mostly from ordering directly from the band / musicians site. Strange Famous does a ton of signed stuff. I've probably got 3 Sage Francis records signed a B.Dolan or two, and a Scroobius Pip. Also I won one of the signed John Mayer test press' signed. Sara Bareilles and Ingrid Michaelson are two of the other signed records I have off the top of my head.

I have wanted to start getting into signed books and or first edition books.

If you're more concerned about the value of a record with or without signatures than the music and art, then you're doing it wrong.

or maybe he just needs the money? I mean really what an incredibly lame sentiment...so if he needs to sell the record to pay his rent he should just blindly sell it without knowing the value? or should he just keep the record and use the incredibly heartfelt value the music and art gave him deep inside his soul as his next rent payment?

or maybe he just needs the money? I mean really what an incredibly lame sentiment...so if he needs to sell the record to pay his rent he should just blindly sell it without knowing the value? or should he just keep the record and use the incredibly heartfelt value the music and art gave him deep inside his soul as his next rent payment?

If you are trying to pay your rent with left alone signed records you should probably just move back in with your parents.

Having said that, I sure as hell wouldn't mind having a little collection like this: http://rateyourmusic...n_my_collection

Thanks man, that's mine.

I love getting albums signed. It gives me an excuse to talk to the band and I'm a shy person who typically wouldn't really want to do that for any other reason. I also think it looks cool on the package in most cases, especially if you have the right color ink in contrast with the album cover. Yesterday I got Cat Power to sign her new Sun deluxe LP and she pulled out the gold 7" and sketched a quick self portrait on the reflective surface.

As to the value, I don't think it really changes the value much but I sometimes get offers on signed records in my collection and I'm willing to let them go if the offer is more than my sentimental attachment to the memory or my love of the record. I wouldn't pay more for a signature personally.

• 4 weeks later...

I got my first pressing of "War All The Time" signed last December on Thursday's farewell tour, and the first Rival Schools album signed last year. I'm not mad about either decision, and when they are sitting on my shelf, who cares what anyone else thinks. I also got the Get Up Kids / The Anniversary split signed by a couple members of The Anniversary back in high school, same with a Piebald 7". It's fun to pull out a record to listen to and see that, oh yeah, I met these dudes and they signed the album for me.

my care level for signed records is at about zero, though my copy of codeseven - the rescue came signed.

came to post this actually haha, I don't really care for getting any records signed, definitely wouldn't pay more for any to do so. got into punk/hardcore growing up alongside those guys, the first 100 copies or so of the LP were signed, thought it was funny/cheesy I got one of those, but they hold a special place in my heart for local nostalgia - so still cool regardless. I think that is the only signed record I own (that I'm aware of)

the only other thing I've got signed outside of when I was around 15 (mighty mighty bosstones ticket stub from bosstones/H20 comes to mind haha) was a copy of the Melvins - with yo' heart 7" for my best friend from high school. had originally picked it up for him, and then years went by and we never crossed paths at a time I actually remembered to bring it. so we were both meeting up at a fantomas show - brought it for him there but his car broken down and he didn't make it. ended up getting buzz to sign it for him and then later gave it to him and his wife as a wedding gift. bet it was the only wedding gift they received that had the words "anal satan" on it. looked really nice in a gold paint pen on the yellow covers