Record Collectors Are Indeed Pretentious Assholes!

jhulud

Saying "excuse me" does not make that any less rude. If someone is going thru a row you wait til they are done.

I'm with you. I just blindly flip through a nearby section until they're done. assuming this isn't RSD when everyone is being a jerk and in a hurry and the records are "limited", I think you can wait 30 seconds for someone to be done.

you dont get pissed because someone else wants the same brand paint you're looking at to paint a room in a house. the correct thing to do is say excuse me, then get what you need and go about your business. maybe he could've said "hey i see something right there, do you mind if i grab it quick?" but there is no need to yell at someone for picking up something they want to purchase as well. everyone is a consumer in the end and my time in a store is just as valuable as yours. people shouldn't be browsing through any store, let alone a music store, if they dont want anyone near them, sometimes other people want the same band that you want, and as long as they aren't putting fingers up your butt to get you to move, there should be no problem

you dont get pissed because someone else wants the same brand paint you're looking at to paint a room in a house. the correct thing to do is say excuse me, then get what you need and go about your business. maybe he could've said "hey i see something right there, do you mind if i grab it quick?" but there is no need to yell at someone for picking up something they want to purchase as well. everyone is a consumer in the end and my time in a store is just as valuable as yours. people shouldn't be browsing through any store, let alone a music store, if they dont want anyone near them, sometimes other people want the same band that you want, and as long as they aren't putting fingers up your butt to get you to move, there should be no problem

your paint can example isn't quite the same, unless of course you stand inches away from the paint cans you're looking at.

in any case, I'd say both (re)actions are wrong. if someone is standing in front of a bunch of records (or anything), I think you should just be patient. and whether this applies to the "giving a person ownership of all the rows surrounding him" situation kinda depends on the size of the person. if their body is physically in front of the records you want to look at, to the point where you have to reach around them and disrupt what they're doing, just wait your turn. having said that, just because someone is rude doesn't mean you should freak out. the correct reaction for that is to go home and bitch about it on the internet.

and I'd say this is "general etiquette", not simply "record store etiquette". then again, I am probably overly considerate and think roughly half the people I see are self-centered pricks (that's an exaggeration of course, but annoying people stick out more than usual), so... damn, now I'm in the mood to bitch about people on the bus/train, people at concerts, politics, etc.

Although I probably wouldn't have said anything, your friend clearly has no record store etiquette and that dude was right to let him know. He's certainly not the asshole in that situation.

Saying "excuse me" does not make that any less rude. If someone is going thru a row you wait til they are done.

From the way I read it, he grabbed the record from the row next to the guy NOT the one he was looking through. If that is the case he didn't do anything wrong and the other guy is just an asshole.

The worst is the dudes at the flea market who a) fucking stank, and 2) physically take up two rows of some dudes 3 row selection checking every records worth on their phone or even calling up their stink buddy who's probably halfway through a marathon jerk session and reading off matrix numbers so they can get that White Whale they've been looking for and maybe end up making what? $10 dollars profit off eBay, minus fees? which, all told, is what the dude will probably end up spending at Burger King on the way home.

From the way I read it, he grabbed the record from the row next to the guy NOT the one he was looking through. If that is the case he didn't do anything wrong and the other guy is just an asshole.

That's how I read it as well. I have no qualms about someone grabbing something from the row right next to me. I would get pissed and say something if someone rudely snagged something out of the actual stack I was thumbing through (people have tried that shit with me on good old RSD).

Reading this thread makes me feel like the chillest record collecter ever. I just don't care what anyone does, really. I'm secure with myself and with my records. Some people are really uptight and others are really uptight with people who are really uptight. This whole record collecting thing is in my mind, supposed to be a community thing. And how are any of us supposed to get along as a community if we're always trying to criticize other collectors (no matter how "pretentious" they are or how small their collection is or how they shop for records or what kind of records they buy) at any chance we get? Idk maybe I'm a big ol hippie and I'm spewing garbage all over this thread but seriously guys... seriously...

That's how I read it as well. I have no qualms about someone grabbing something from the row right next to me. I would get pissed and say something if someone rudely snagged something out of the actual stack I was thumbing through (people have tried that shit with me on good old RSD).

someone literally grabbed a record out of my girlfriends hand on RSD this year. i was obvioulsly more pissed that he was that close/rude/physical to her so i (calmly) went off on him. An employee saw it, kicked the dude out. thats my story.

some people are assholes cause they are assholes, not because they collect records.

I gladly watch over someones shoulder as they flip. If I see something I want I wait until they pass it and then ask if I can take a look if they aren't interested. It lets me go through two rows at once. There are enough collector scum out there that it's inevitable that you will run into a pain at the record store. Rudeness in the Vinyl World didn't start with the internet.

I think dude at Waterloo was definitely in the wrong to bitch at your friend for getting in the row next to him. You're taking up the row you're looking at, not the two or four around you. Though to be fair, I might be pissed off if someone jumped in the row I was currently looking in, and pulled out something that I was really wanting, and I haven't gotten to. I'd be pissed off to a lesser extent if it was the row next to me that I haven't looked in, but whatever, it's fair game, maybe I should have gotten to the store 5 minutes earlier or something. It's usually not something I have to worry about because record stores aren't always the most crowded places at times.

It's all etiquette, don't be a dick, etc.

Also, there is a collector here in town (he's probably late 50's, early 60's) that seems to have a bad reputation. Everyone knows this guy, and he's regularly snatched records from people's hands. Word gets around, and also, some of the biggest assholes I've ran into in the course of record collecting are about this guy's age. Another guy attempts to make money by putting all the fairly decent classic rock albums in customer hold, listing them on eBay, and coming to the store to purchase them when they finally sell. Guy probably hits the record stores 3-5 times a week, and half of those places have figured out what he does, and he no longer gets hold privileges at one of those stores. It's always the same records too- Beatles, King Crimson, Rolling Stones, etc.

Reading some of these stories makes me feel good to have never met these obsessive assholes. When I go shopping for records I usually find the experience in browsing to be a very relaxing, I take my time and thumb through everything and if something catches my eye I quickly look at the condition of the record and put it in a pile next to me. I also have a tendency to mutter my thoughts to myself which may annoy people or may just make them think I am crazy, I am not sure. As far as I am concerned though any row that I am not looking in is fair game and I usually start at the opposite end if someone is already looking through that section and when we met just quietly leapfrog around then and check out the row they were on later. At the end of the day there is nothing to get angry about even if someone else nabs up something I wanted before I got to it, hey thats great for them man

Reading some of these stories makes me feel good to have never met these obsessive assholes. When I go shopping for records I usually find the experience in browsing to be a very relaxing, I take my time and thumb through everything and if something catches my eye I quickly look at the condition of the record and put it in a pile next to me. I also have a tendency to mutter my thoughts to myself which may annoy people or may just make them think I am crazy, I am not sure. As far as I am concerned though any row that I am not looking in is fair game and I usually start at the opposite end if someone is already looking through that section and when we met just quietly leapfrog around then and check out the row they were on later. At the end of the day there is nothing to get angry about even if someone else nabs up something I wanted before I got to it, hey thats great for them man

This is the way it works everywhere I have been. This is the time I usually have to myself i.e. no wife or kids, just me and my thoughts, so it's relaxing to me. .....maybe it's the muttering that keeps people away, haha.

From someone who has been collecting for almost 10 years I've come to realize if I didn't love or.have passion for the music or bands then I wouldn't be collecting. If this guy got a look at my collection he would deff call me an asshole but oh well disposable income from working my was off and.collecting just makes me an asshole