Festivus 2012 My Biggest Gripe About VC...

This is more of a gripe towards the labels that frequently post here, rather than the posters.... I love represses as much as the next guy, but I'd rather hear some new music from new bands, and try to build this scene from the ground up again. I know we all have limited resources and this is a business after all, but if we just keep churning out represses of records we grew up with, everybody on this board (and who collect vinyl in general) are missing out on a lot of great new music.

I know for one I'll be spending my time in 2013 supporting new bands and getting you guys stuff you haven't heard before. Hopefully some of the other labels with a higher profile will do the same. (Unless, of course, Jay Z decideds to return my calls, then forget I said anything)

This is more of a gripe towards the labels that frequently post here, rather than the posters.... I love represses as much as the next guy, but I'd rather hear some new music from new bands, and try to build this scene from the ground up again. I know we all have limited resources and this is a business after all, but if we just keep churning out represses of records we grew up with, everybody on this board (and who collect vinyl in general) are missing out on a lot of great new music.

I know for one I'll be spending my time in 2013 supporting new bands and getting you guys stuff you haven't heard before. Hopefully some of the other labels with a higher profile will do the same. (Unless, of course, Jay Z decideds to return my calls, then forget I said anything)

While I agree with you for the most part, I enjoyed alot of the represses and presses of older album first time on vinyl.  There's a ton of ska stuff that came out this year that I wish would get pressed (The Forthrights, The Bandulus, Obi Fernandez).  I guess it's just too much of a risk for some of these labels.

good point mike. i have limited funds for my collecting but with all these represses of crazy rare records from when i was younger, i feel like i HAVE to buy those as they come out or i won't get another shot. i haven't bought something by a new artist in months.

Finally, the ass & titties appreesh threads are gross. Not the content so much as the comments: It is disgusting how quickly men on the internet reduce themselves to high schoolers in a locker room, talking about who you'd feel up and whether some woman's breasts can "make up for her face". It's disgusting. Not to mention that like 30% of the Internet is devoted to showing you naked women in whatever form you can imagine. Go to the nsfw sections of reddit if you want to be casually misogynistic in the company of others.

In my defense the Boobies Appreciation Thread is a completely different animal than I intended. I can't stop the monster I created.

people being inpatient if there is any slight delay or other things to that extent.  

also people not using google as a search engine.  a lot of peoples questions are common ones and can be found elsewhere if they take 2 seconds to do so.  don't need a new thread for every question. 

Dudes who ask for offers then don't respond.

Worse, dudes who ask for offers but have no idea what they expect as they are obviously hoping someone hits the top Popsike price.

Ok, worst off all, dudes with a few posts asking for offers. Go scalp your shit on eBay, those that cultivate a rep on a board like this do so to work deals and avoid eBay for some things.

I'm so past offers unless it's for something at the tippy top of my list. 

Dudes who ask for offers then don't respond.

Worse, dudes who ask for offers but have no idea what they expect as they are obviously hoping someone hits the top Popsike price.

Ok, worst off all, dudes with a few posts asking for offers. Go scalp your shit on eBay, those that cultivate a rep on a board like this do so to work deals and avoid eBay for some things.

I'm so past offers unless it's for something at the tippy top of my list. 

Set sale ftw!!!

While I agree with you for the most part, I enjoyed alot of the represses and presses of older album first time on vinyl.  There's a ton of ska stuff that came out this year that I wish would get pressed (The Forthrights, The Bandulus, Obi Fernandez).  I guess it's just too much of a risk for some of these labels.

my friend jeremy is in the bandulus (singer/guitarist). don't they have a new album coming out or something?

my friend jeremy is in the bandulus (singer/guitarist). don't they have a new album coming out or something?

yeah, it came out earlier this month as I understand.  It's making a few of the "top ska albums of the year" lists.  Haven't had a chance to pick it up yet, but I plan on it soon. 

(Double post merged into one)

While I agree with you for the most part, I enjoyed alot of the represses and presses of older album first time on vinyl. There's a ton of ska stuff that came out this year that I wish would get pressed (The Forthrights, The Bandulus, Obi Fernandez). I guess it's just too much of a risk for some of these labels.

I mean a majority of the new labels (with profile on here, I mean) of the last few years were created for the purpose of represses/older stuff that's never been pressed, as opposed to cultivating new artists. So it is what it is.

good point mike. i have limited funds for my collecting but with all these represses of crazy rare records from when i was younger, i feel like i HAVE to buy those as they come out or i won't get another shot. i haven't bought something by a new artist in months.

Yeah I understand the feeling - it's great and bad at the same time, haha. The pace of these represses/first presses of old stuff is really getting nuts and while I'm not a huge fan of really anything that's been coming out lately it's awesome that these records are (semi) affordable and available. I just wish there was as much passion in general on here about up and coming bands as there is about the next Hot Topic repress.

Yeah I understand the feeling - it's great and bad at the same time, haha. The pace of these represses/first presses of old stuff is really getting nuts and while I'm not a huge fan of really anything that's been coming out lately it's awesome that these records are (semi) affordable and available. I just wish there was as much passion in general on here about up and coming bands as there is about the next Hot Topic repress.

the pace and timing are my gripes. in the last 4 months, there have been about 7 or 8 major ht represses. and of course it's all stuff that will and did sell out. i just don't think that's cool during christmas time, when you really don't have the option of waiting on stuff. and it's not like you can point to stuff like this as good gift ideas, because unless it's a significant other or a very good friend, there is little to no chance of receiving a pre-order limited-press record.

I find that I am in the same boat. A majority of this board does not share the same taste as me. I would say maybe one or two posts out of 10 are about a band I care about.  

I come on every few days these days, browse the last dozen or so pages in the Vinyl section, and I'm lucky to find a handful of threads that interest me. Not sure if the board is just more popular these days, and as such, more diverse, but I swear it used to be more relevant to my tastes.

I'm getting tired of people saying "bought one for me a couple for some friends" on limited run shit. Don't rub it in that your crappy friend is going to get something I really want out of the fucking blue, while I'm here all pissed off that I missed it.

Heartless. Heartless bastards.

If it makes you feel any better, their friend's name is probably eBay. If your friend really wants a record that badly, they'll buy their own fucking copy. I have lots of friends who love vinyl, but they sure as shit don't need the limited edition version of every record that comes around; if they did, they'd have the know-how to obtain them on their own.