Someone recommend me a book to read.

Open to something despressing/moving/heavy.

Thanks.

PS. Has anyone read Perks of being a Wallflower? I've seen the film but heard the book is better?

Read the Blood of Heaven! I just finished it. It is depressing and heavy. Author has an awesome voice. 

Thanks.

PS. Has anyone read Perks of being a Wallflower? I've seen the film but heard the book is better?

Rant by Chuck Palahniuk. It's one of my favorite books ever.

It's just kind of fucked up, but not really depressing. I mean, it is depressing, but in an interpretive way. You could read it and just laugh constantly. It's all perspective I guess.

Read the Blood of Heaven! I just finished it. It is depressing and heavy. Author has an awesome voice. 

It's just kind of fucked up, but not really depressing. I mean, it is depressing, but in an interpretive way. You could read it and just laugh constantly. It's all perspective I guess.

Added both to my list to totally legally download onto my kindle later. Cheers!

Thanks.

i enjoy all of chucks books. well, most of them. 

he has a very very interesting mind, creative and witty. his attention to detail is amazing. i think. people say his writing lacks a lot and is immature. but what he writes about and the way he describes it, its an eye opener. i based my entire final portfolio for my minor around him and the transgressive fiction writing genre 

lullaby by chuck is one of my favorites. snuff was good i thought, a fast read but the point of view was cool and interesting. 

Added both to my list to totally legally download onto my kindle later. Cheers!

You may have already (as it's a classic), but if you are into some really fucked up shit and like not being sure exactly what is said for the first 2-3 chapters, you should read A Clockwork Orange. if you've only seen the film then forget everything you saw. It's pretty different (some similarities in events and language) and when you READ the story you get the whole point.

Anyway, another goodie for your eyeballz.

I don't find Palahniuk to be immature per se, but he always always felt like a bit of a one-trick pony to me. It is a really enjoyable trick the first few times you see it, but I sort of stopped after a few of his books. The subject matter changes, but the books all felt really, uh, same-y. He says things in really awesome ways, but a lot of the time, he isn't saying that much. 

Edit: To be clear, I think he is a solid author, I just don't feel the need to re-visit and can understand some of the criticism. If you haven't read anything by him I would check out a few books for sure!

i enjoy all of chucks books. well, most of them. 

he has a very very interesting mind, creative and witty. his attention to detail is amazing. i think. people say his writing lacks a lot and is immature. but what he writes about and the way he describes it, its an eye opener. i based my entire final portfolio for my minor around him and the transgressive fiction writing genre 

lullaby by chuck is one of my favorites. snuff was good i thought, a fast read but the point of view was cool and interesting. 

I think those people are just mad because they are afraid to write witty, funny, offensive shit. Chuck is great. Snuff was really intriguing and I read it in 2 days. Rant took me awhile because I was jumping back and forward from one chapter to another. The great thing about  it is that each chapter is an "interview" from a different person than the previous, so there are contradicting stories and perspectives. If anyone reads that and says Chuck P. is lacking anything in his ability, they obviously did not read that.

I mean he's obviously not writing theories on wormholes and the space-time continuum, but he's crafting some pretty unique or interesing stories. Haunted  is another cool example. It's kind of like the Saw movies, but ya know not all hack and slash. Well, not exactly anyway. Kind of.

His most recent one, Beautiful You, that was an odd one. I really felt weird after I read that one, haha.

havent got that far yet, i still gotta pick it up!

I don't find Palahniuk to be immature per se, but he always always felt like a bit of a one-trick pony to me. It is a really enjoyable trick the first few times you see it, but I sort of stopped after a few of his books. The subject matter changes, but the books all felt really, uh, same-y. He says things in really awesome ways, but a lot of the time, he isn't saying that much. 

Edit: To be clear, I think he is a solid author, I just don't feel the need to re-visit and can understand some of the criticism. If you haven't read anything by him I would check out a few books for sure!

yeah i can see that. and i think thats why i like lullaby so much, its different. but still has that chuck p weirdness. its not as raunchy as the others.

I think those people are just mad because they are afraid to write witty, funny, offensive shit. Chuck is great. Snuff was really intriguing and I read it in 2 days. Rant took me awhile because I was jumping back and forward from one chapter to another. The great thing about  it is that each chapter is an "interview" from a different person than the previous, so there are contradicting stories and perspectives. If anyone reads that and says Chuck P. is lacking anything in his ability, they obviously did not read that.

I mean he's obviously not writing theories on wormholes and the space-time continuum, but he's crafting some pretty unique or interesing stories. Haunted  is another cool example. It's kind of like the Saw movies, but ya know not all hack and slash. Well, not exactly anyway. Kind of.

haunted is so wild haha, he does readings and he has a count of people that have fainted during the reading, most likely the candle wax or the intestines part. here's some more info..didnt think it was that much 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haunted_%28Palahniuk_novel%29

Survivor, Rant, and Invisible Monsters are my favorite Palahniuk books.

the only ones I haven't read are Survivor and Lullaby.

I really dug IM, but I never got a chance to read/ buy the "updated" version or whatever it was.

I wish they would hurry up and make Haunted a movie. I would love to see Rant, but I don't think anyone couldl do it justice.

most likely the candle wax or the intestines part. here's some more info..didnt think it was that much 

intestines scene is pretty gross, but the wax part made me cringe and simultaneously wonder if it actually feels good.

I'll never try it, but if anyone knows, feel free to inform me (i'm actually squirming in my seat thinking about it...ugh)

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic