Does anyone else have weird pet peeves?

I mean, I guess mine isnt so strange. But I absolutely hate that my family all feels the need to use the bathroom at the same time. Like, I'm just trying to take five minutes to wash my face and brush my teeth, but instead of taking turns, everyone crowds in the bathroom. I don't understand, it frustrates me so much. I even started getting ready for bed earlier and at least one person still feels the need to come in. The amount of anger that surges through me is like no other, man.

I've considered bringing it up numerous times but my family is the type to spin things out of proportion and turn it into a war. I love em and all, but I just want to get ready in peace.

Today marks the beginning of Spring Semester, which means I have to go back to work/class in a few hours. No word on any weather-based class or work cancellations, so I'm gonna wake up a bit earlier than I normally would to see if there's any news. Not counting on it.

Because they'll cancel school in Georgia for less than an inch of snow, but not if it's 25°F and the roads are iced over.

Does anyone else have weird pet peeves?

I mean, I guess mine isnt so strange. But I absolutely hate that my family all feels the need to use the bathroom at the same time. Like, I'm just trying to take five minutes to wash my face and brush my teeth, but instead of taking turns, everyone crowds in the bathroom. I don't understand, it frustrates me so much. I even started getting ready for bed earlier and at least one person still feels the need to come in. The amount of anger that surges through me is like no other, man.

I've considered bringing it up numerous times but my family is the type to spin things out of proportion and turn it into a war. I love em and all, but I just want to get ready in peace.

I could see that being frustrating, for sure.  My family has always had a "one person per bathroom" rule that's been enforced as long as I can remember.  The only exception to this is if one bathroom is tied up, and the other is being occupied by someone who's showering.  But even then... it's a little weird.  I don't know.  I can't imagine what it'd be like to group-hoard a single bathroom.  I'm just used to the convenience of my own space in the bathroom, I guess.  The only bathrooms I share are the type with stalls in them.

If we're sharing pet peeves - especially those that pertain to family - I've got to say that watching TV (or even movies) with my dad is the worst.  Fortunately this happens very rarely.  If we're not watching a comedy or something incredibly easy to follow, I'm shit out of luck.  He's insistent on calling out plot points as they unfold, or trying to predict them before they happen.  He loves to verbally critique the characters, as if his smug comments will make them reconsider their actions.  ("Come on!  What are you doing?  Why didn't you take that gun with you?")  He also thinks aloud, i.e. "Ooohhh, I bet... you know what?  I bet this is a flashback" or "This has got to be a dream.  Got to be."  I know that complaining about this sounds rather petty, and it's not that the interjections are annoying, but he somehow manages to insert them over really important dialogue, or an intense moment.  Never when there's a transition or a slow pace.  And that, naturally, leads to questions of "what'd he just say?", and so on, so forth.

As a disclaimer, my dad isn't senile in the slightest.  And I don't have this problem with any of my other friends or relatives.  If we're all getting together for a "fun" movie, I couldn't care less.  But anything intense or worth paying attention to is just impossible to share with him.

We've always been in houses smaller than what suits our family and it works fine. But like, my mom spit out her toothpaste near me the other day, I almost lost it. It doesn't help that the sound of people brushing their teeth goes right through me, no clue why. The worst is that when I'm frustrated, I don't know how to express my emotions and I end up sobbing hysterically. So I had to lock myself in my room and cry because my mom brushed her teeth near my head. That tops the silly list.

My ex stepdad was like that during movies, I would refuse to watch anything with him. Even the simplest movie turns into "what's that? Why did he do that? Where are they going? Well this is gonna happen. Why didn't that happen?" I always try to explain that if he would just watch the movie, most things would be resolved. Nope, still fired those questions.

We've always been in houses smaller than what suits our family and it works fine. But like, my mom spit out her toothpaste near me the other day, I almost lost it. It doesn't help that the sound of people brushing their teeth goes right through me, no clue why. The worst is that when I'm frustrated, I don't know how to express my emotions and I end up sobbing hysterically. So I had to lock myself in my room and cry because my mom brushed her teeth near my head. That tops the silly list.

Haha, when you phrase it like that... I will say that it sounds a little goofy.  But I totally get where you're coming from.  And no offense to your mom, but I would never spit toothpaste (or anything) in the vicinity of someone else.  At least not intentionally.  That just doesn't compute with me.  I'll actually go out of my way to wait and do something other than occupy the bathroom with someone else.  They don't interject when someone's on the can... do they?  (Just had to ask.)

My ex stepdad was like that during movies, I would refuse to watch anything with him. Even the simplest movie turns into "what's that? Why did he do that? Where are they going? Well this is gonna happen. Why didn't that happen?" I always try to explain that if he would just watch the movie, most things would be resolved. Nope, still fired those questions.

I certainly don't get it.  It must be a dad thing.  There have been times in the past where I've tried to imply that everything will make sense if we'd all keep quiet... but that's only led to him getting butt-hurt, leaving the room, and then taking it personally for days after.  Kind of makes me wonder how I've made it to the age of 25 without being completely dysfunctional.

#parentprobz

Kind of makes me wonder how I've made it to the age of 25 without being completely dysfunctional.

#parentprobz

Reminds me of this bit my local paper did titled, "Ever wonder why your parents are so fucked up?" which showed these old 1970s posters.  Funny stuff.

http://www.westword.com/slideshow/30-bizarre-vintage-classroom-posters-40436685/

Anyhow, Logan I kind of think your bathroom pet peeve is adorable.  Maybe because I haven't lived with my family for several years so I forget what that annoying stuff is like on the daily.

The movie things are unforgivable, however.  Movies can be like music to me.  Don't interrupt my shit.

Does everyone get paid on snow days still? Or only government workers

Like contractors? They technically get sent back to their company and it's up to the company whether they work or not.

This is only the second time they have done this since I started though so I think they are still working through all the policy details.

They don't interject when someone's on the can... do they? (Just had to ask.)

Thank goodness, no. I would run away.

Anyhow, Logan I kind of think your bathroom pet peeve is adorable. Maybe because I haven't lived with my family for several years so I forget what that annoying stuff is like on the daily.

I used to have an apartment, I always think I miss it...and I do to an extent. But my roommate was the fucking WORST. I love her as a person and all but we could not live together. We worked together too.

It's not really a pet peeve, I have misophonia. Google it.

Oof, I feel like that could be super hard.

Eh. Texas is ok. If you like the heat and hate the cold, then yes it's the perfect place for you. Personally I would much rather live in Colorado. Give me a few years and I'm getting the hell out of here. 

On the issue of pet peeves...people in general can be pretty annoying. 

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic