7 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

For me, I love his production, but hate the source material for the majority of stuff he works on. He works for so many bands of the scene I loathe. Haha. The exceptions are Nothing, Turnover, and Superheaven.

Yeah, most of his source stuff is terrible, which might be part of why I don't like his stuff. It's usually way to clean and sorta bright, but he does do a good job when it should be more dirty like Nothing and Turnover.

I asked like last week but I don't think you were around @Dave Grohl: I'm looking for a decent-to-good pair of (non-earbuds) headphones for $100 or less. Do those exist in my price range, and where can I find some? Even if I'm not an audiophile, I can still differentiate 256 and 320 (everything higher is the same to me) so my primary focus is a pair that have good audio quality while not leaving any room for air to get in instead of music (I hate a detached listening experience, if that makes any sense).

Edited by DOMAN127

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

The Grado SR80e are $99, and are great headphones.

Edit: Oops, they are open back, so sound leaks in and out. Closed back headphones don't usually sound as good.

I could try them and return them if I don't like them, right? This is Amazon you're talking about?

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

The Grado SR80e are $99, and are great headphones.

Edit: Oops, they are open back, so sound leaks in and out. Closed back headphones don't usually sound as good.

I could try them and return them if I don't like them, right? This is Amazon you're talking about?

4 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

https://www.amazon.com/Grado-Prestige-Series-SR80e-Headphones/dp/B00L1LXOWS/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1465864827&sr=8-1&keywords=grado+sr80e

Yup. If you like them, do the quarter mod to open them up a bit more. Grado's are fun, since the modding options are endless if you ever get bored of the sound.

13 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Digital music (laptop/iPhone) and turntable listening

You want open headphones then. Let me see what's at that price point these days.

Open: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1465868412&sr=8-1&keywords=beyerdynamic&condition=used

Closed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008POFOHM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have the open 990s, and they are incredible. Amazing for their price point. Highly, highly recommend those. Perfect to use with an amp and DAC later on too if you go that route. Open box is like $130. You won't do better than that. These sound like $400 cans. If you don't need to worry about sound leak definitely get open. If you are for some reason (don't know why you would be if you're at home), get the closed 770s. Just as amazing as the 990s, but closed instead of open.

Edited by Dave Grohl

12 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

You want open headphones then. Let me see what's at that price point these days.

Open: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0011UB9CQ/ref=sr_1_1_olp?ie=UTF8&qid=1465868412&sr=8-1&keywords=beyerdynamic&condition=used

Closed: https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B008POFOHM/ref=dp_olp_used?ie=UTF8&condition=used

I have the open 990s, and they are incredible. Amazing for their price point. Highly, highly recommend those. Perfect to use with an amp and DAC later on too if you go that route. Open box is like $130. You won't do better than that. These sound like $400 cans. If you don't need to worry about sound leak definitely get open. If you are for some reason (don't know why you would be if you're at home), get the closed 770s. Just as amazing as the 990s, but closed instead of open.

I don't even know the difference between 'open' and 'closed' but I could try the open ones I guess. What I meant by 'detached listening' is when I can hear something other than the music, including the sound of the air around me. Especially because I'd be using these at work and stuff.

12 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I don't even know the difference between 'open' and 'closed' but I could try the open ones I guess. What I meant by 'detached listening' is when I can hear something other than the music, including the sound of the air around me. Especially because I'd be using these at work and stuff.

6 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

Well if you don't want noise leaking out get closed. I have a pair of open that I use for home, and closed I use for outside the home (so no one hears anything but me). With either you're not going to hear anything except your music.

18 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

Well if you don't want noise leaking out get closed. I have a pair of open that I use for home, and closed I use for outside the home (so no one hears anything but me). With either you're not going to hear anything except your music.

I don't care about other people hearing my music since I keep the volume so low anyway, if that makes any sense. Even if sound leaked out, I'm not concerned about that, I'm only concerned about sound leaking IN. Guess I'll go with the open ones!

Edited by DOMAN127

1 hour ago, Thomas³ said:

Ryan, is there anything else I should do? My bank put my account on hold, and can only make withdrawals in person until they send me a new debit card. I'm also locked out of the website until that happens too. Anything else I should worry about?

Not sure who you bank with but usually it's pretty easy as we can cancel the card and issue a temp card right on the spot so you don't have to withdrawal your money and all that. The main thing is to check your account to make sure there aren't charges they missed. But no need to worry as if they got any of your money it's obviously fraud and you aren't held liable. Just one of those inconvenience things. But hopefully they caught it early and is it an easy fix. Did you notice it or did they contact you?

7 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

Not sure who you bank with but usually it's pretty easy as we can cancel the card and issue a temp card right on the spot so you don't have to withdrawal your money and all that. The main thing is to check your account to make sure there aren't charges they missed. But no need to worry as if they got any of your money it's obviously fraud and you aren't held liable. Just one of those inconvenience things. But hopefully they caught it early and is it an easy fix. Did you notice it or did they contact you?

I use 5th 3rd bank. I went to use it, and it came up declined. I figured it was a weird fluke, so I went to the ATM and it was immediate spit back out saying it was declined. I had to call to find out why. I can't check to see if there are any other charges on my account until I activate my new card, but the lady listed off the stuff and it only seemed like the one they caught. Guess I'm going into work late so I can run to the bank and withdrawal money/get a temp card. It really is super inconvenient. I wish they would have contacted me right away, instead of just locking my account,

7 hours ago, KingTacoMunster said:

I use 5th 3rd bank. I went to use it, and it came up declined. I figured it was a weird fluke, so I went to the ATM and it was immediate spit back out saying it was declined. I had to call to find out why. I can't check to see if there are any other charges on my account until I activate my new card, but the lady listed off the stuff and it only seemed like the one they caught. Guess I'm going into work late so I can run to the bank and withdrawal money/get a temp card. It really is super inconvenient. I wish they would have contacted me right away, instead of just locking my account,

10 hours ago, Thomas³ said:

I use 5th 3rd bank. I went to use it, and it came up declined. I figured it was a weird fluke, so I went to the ATM and it was immediate spit back out saying it was declined. I had to call to find out why. I can't check to see if there are any other charges on my account until I activate my new card, but the lady listed off the stuff and it only seemed like the one they caught. Guess I'm going into work late so I can run to the bank and withdrawal money/get a temp card. It really is super inconvenient. I wish they would have contacted me right away, instead of just locking my account,

yea, it sucks. They should reached out to you and gave ya a heads up. But they should take care of you. Sorry dude, assholes and fraud is bullshit

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic