44 minutes ago, Bladewillisisdead said:

My copy of You Fail Me: Redux is out for delivery. Probably going to be delivered as I'm walking out the door for work or right after :(

Mine too. I might ride my bike over to my mom's house to get a look at the packaging and listen to it if I have time.

18 minutes ago, The Butcha said:

Almost half way through my final 5am shift at this store. Kinda bittersweet but fuck waking up early. 

I havent seen 4:30am in about 23 years. i strive well from no sleep, plus itd probably make me happy since the rest of the world isnt around.

Edited by abovetheearth

17 minutes ago, abovetheearth said:

I havent seen 4:30am in about 23 years. i strive well from no sleep, plus itd probably make me happy since the rest of the world isnt around.

That's why I loved working second shift. Being awake, when everyone else is asleep is awesome. Plus night > day. Sleeping 4-5 to noon or 1 was amazing.

2 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

What...

How can you not care about production?

I prefer good songwriting over everything else. Same way y'all were so shocked that I don't prioritize lyrics. The order in which I take notice of things is the following:

1. Songwriting

2. Production

3. Lyrics

Except most '80s shit because FUCK the '80s production sound...practically ruined stuff like The Smiths and Joy Division.

Just now, DOMAN127 said:

I prefer good songwriting over everything else. Same way y'all were so shocked that I don't prioritize lyrics. The order in which I take notice of things is the following:

1. Songwriting

2. Production

3. Lyrics

Except most '80s shit because FUCK the '80s production sound...practically ruined stuff like The Smiths and Joy Division.

But do you truly understand what production / engineering is when it comes to audio, and how vastly it can change how an album sounds? It can be just as important as the song writing itself. If a great song isn't produced well, it can sound like shit, no matter how great the original.

I don't really care about prioritizing lyrics, cause more than half the music I listen to doesn't have lyrics. But to me, all of it is equally important.

1 minute ago, Dave Grohl said:

But do you truly understand what production / engineering is when it comes to audio, and how vastly it can change how an album sounds? It can be just as important as the song writing itself. If a great song isn't produced well, it can sound like shit, no matter how great the original.

I don't really care about prioritizing lyrics, cause more than half the music I listen to doesn't have lyrics. But to me, all of it is equally important.

I understand its importance (hence how much I hate a bunch of '80s records' sounds) but it's not the first thing I pick atEveryone listens to music differently, that's why some people care more about the lyrics than we do, even if the music might be bland ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I'm not exactly audiophile, though. That could make a difference. 

12 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I understand its importance (hence how much I hate a bunch of '80s records' sounds) but it's not the first thing I pick atEveryone listens to music differently, that's why some people care more about the lyrics than we do, even if the music might be bland ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I know people listen to music differently, and analyze it differently, but people seem to forget just how much production takes a role in how the music sounds in the end, ya know? I think you're just not giving credit where credit is due. It doesn't need to be at the top of your list by any means, I just think it's an automatic important factor. Does that make sense? Like I said, the way I see it, it's all of equal importance (whatever factors are present) because in the end, you are listening to everything as a whole. I mean, take the volume of the drums for instance. Think of a song you love, and imagine and drums being just 15% louder. Would that overpower and drown out the guitar, bass, vocals, etc? Those drums being just a hair too loud could overtake everything and effectively make the song weak, or even ruin it. Or think about how the sound decays, or if it does at all. What if it didn't decay properly and you just got this super harsh snare hit? I think the production is taken for granted since the majority of the people of ST listen to really well produced albums. Take Will doing the production on Tired of Tomorrow. That album could have been ruined by sub par production, but he knows his shit, and produced a great album that could have been lost being produced by some half wit. Haha.

This isn't like a 'hey, you should have production at the top of your list / you're wrong' rant. I wouldn't even really call it a rant per say, but more like 'hey, production is super cool / important' kind of thing. Haha. Hope that comes through as such. <3

As far as being an audiophile, the only reason I am one is because it helps me love and appreciate music more than I did before. And I'm all for that. People don't need to dive into it as deep as I do (ha), but it'd be cool if more people truly understood how important production is. I think the average person doesn't even think about it. But then again, the average person listens to shit that's auto tuned and fed through Pro Tools, so who cares. Haha. As long as I never turn into one of the Steve Hoffman / Jazz Dad snobby assholes, I'm cool with people an audiophile. Cause I'll never buy into the speaker wire gimmick of spending $1,000 on a pair of cables. Hahahaha. Idiots.

Like uh, did you ever listen to the Purple album by Baroness? The OG source (FLAC/AAC/vinyl) was fantastic, but they did a different production for the v0/v2 version that sounded fucking awful. Eeesh. That one still stings.

Edited by Dave Grohl

9 minutes ago, Dave Grohl said:

I know people listen to music differently, and analyze it differently, but people seem to forget just how much production takes a role in how the music sounds in the end, ya know? I think you're just not giving credit where credit is due. It doesn't need to be at the top of your list by any means, I just think it's an automatic important factor. Does that make sense? Like I said, the way I see it, it's all of equal importance (whatever factors are present) because in the end, you are listening to everything as a whole. I mean, take the volume of the drums for instance. Think of a song you love, and imagine and drums being just 15% louder. Would that overpower and drown out the guitar, bass, vocals, etc? Those drums being just a hair too loud could overtake everything and effectively make the song weak, or even ruin it. Or think about how the sound decays, or if it does at all. What if it didn't decay properly and you just got this super harsh snare hit? I think the production is taken for granted since the majority of the people of ST listen to really well produced albums. Take Will doing the production on Tired of Tomorrow. That album could have been ruined by sub par production, but he knows his shit, and produced a great album that could have been lost being produced by some half wit. Haha.

This isn't like a 'hey, you should have production at the top of your list / you're wrong' rant. I wouldn't even really call it a rant per say, but more like 'hey, production is super cool / important' kind of thing. Haha. Hope that comes through as such. <3

As far as being an audiophile, the only reason I am one is because it helps me love and appreciate music more than I did before. And I'm all for that. People don't need to dive into it as deep as I do (ha), but it'd be cool if more people truly understood how important production is. I think the average person doesn't even think about it. But then again, the average person listens to shit that's auto tuned and fed through Pro Tools, so who cares. Haha.

Like uh, did you ever listen to the Purple album by Baroness? The OG source (FLAC/AAC/vinyl) was fantastic, but they did a different production for the v0/v2 version that sounded fucking awful. Eeesh. That one still stings.

There are a lot of albums I question the production choices of. I guess I think about it a lot more than I thought I did, and this post helped me realize it. And I have heard Purple @320, whatever source it was, I got it from a torrent. I guess it sounded terrible since it wasn't from a lossless source? I sure didn't notice, basing it off of the one time I listened to it. 

As far as Gorillaz, I guess what I meant to say was, "I don't think I'd like Demon Days more than S/T if they were produced by the same person; I simply like the first album's collection of songs better". "Dare" is still my favorite Gorillaz song, though.

Edited by DOMAN127

38 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

I mean, as far as something you might be familiar with, the remaster of Scream Bloody Gore is a fuckton better. 

48 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

1. Songwriting

2. Production

3. Lyrics

Yup, that'd probably be my list too. 80s production isn't my favorite but you hate it more than me

30 minutes ago, DOMAN127 said:

There are a lot of albums I question the production choices of. I guess I think about it a lot more than I thought I did, and this post helped me realize it. And I have heard Purple @320, whatever source it was, I got it from a torrent. I guess it sounded terrible since it wasn't from a lossless source? I sure didn't notice, basing it off of the one time I listened to it. 

As far as Gorillaz, I guess what I meant to say was, "I don't think I'd like Demon Days more than S/T if they were produced by the same person; I simply like the first album's collection of songs better". "Dare" is still my favorite Gorillaz song, though.

I figured as much. I just felt like talking about production, and knew you would listen cause you're awesome like that.

And yeah, if you listen to the FLAC version of Purple it sounds way different, not necessarily because of the loseless audio, but more so cause it was mastered correctly. If an album is produced properly 320 is still more than enough to hear how it is supposed to, ya know? But the production for it at 320, everything was lost. It was so lifeless. It effectively ruined the album.

And I was hoping so, it's just your statement was pretty generalized so I dove in. Haha. Here is a little more info about the upcoming album: http://consequenceofsound.net/2016/06/gorillazs-really-fuckin-special-new-album-due-out-in-2017/

This news makes me want to revisit Blur's catalog.

33 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I usually hate Will Yip production, but he did an amazing job on ToT.

For me, I love his production, but hate the source material for the majority of stuff he works on. He works for so many bands of the scene I loathe. Haha. The exceptions are Nothing, Turnover, and Superheaven.

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic