Randomly stopped into the record store today and they had the 2015 green press of David Bowie - Earthling for MSRP! Stoked because I was worried I was going to have to pay a bunch to eventually grab a copy :)

Randomly stopped into the record store today and they had the 2015 green press of David Bowie - Earthling for MSRP! Stoked because I was worried I was going to have to pay a bunch to eventually grab a copy :)

40 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Nice. I need to start working on my Bowie collection again.

3 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Nice. I need to start working on my Bowie collection again.

I've been very slowly working on mine since 2004 when I fell in love with Ziggy.

I had a thing for a long time where I wouldn't buy modern represses, but I got over that due to The Man Who Sold the World...

So far I've got:

Spoiler

S/T // Space Oddity

Hunky Dory

The Man Who Sold the World

Ziggy Stardust

Diamond Dogs

Young Americans

Low

Scary Monsters

Let's Dance

Heathen (in the mail right now)

Earthling

The Next Day

Blackstar

David Live (which I don't count since I only care about studio LPs)

Which means I'm still missing...

Spoiler

the original S/T

Aladdin Sane

Pinups (may not get it since it's all covers)

Station to Station

Heroes

Lodger

Tonight

Never Let Me Down

Black Tie White Noise

1.Outside

Hours...

Reality

and the Tin Machine stuff/non-solo stuff.

Puts me about halfway there. :/

I've only got 3 albums, so I have a long way to go. Going after only OG presses/old represses would be crazy hard. Thankfully the modern represses sound really good. I wish I could break down and get the last boxset for Gouster. Hopefully this annoying dizziness that started today goes away, since I have like $50 to the local record store and I can grab some stuff. Need to work on my Cure collection too.

My incoming list is getting big again, when I had it down to one record a few days ago.

Angel Olsen - My Woman
Circa Survive - On Letting Go (Transparent Orange And Opaque White)
Circa Survive - Juturna (Orange/White Haze)
Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life 01/27/17
Japanese Breakfast - Polyvinyl 4-Track Series Volume 3 7"
Moneen - he Theory Of Harmonial Value (Deluxe 2LP) - 2x12" Metallic Gold / Black Swirl Vinyl
Nothing - Downward Years to Come (V3.0) (Red /400) + 7" Flexi
Owen - Polyvinyl 4-Track Series Volume 3 7"
Sorority Noise - You're Not As _____ As You Think (Light Blue / White / Orange Tri-Color /500) 03/17/17

38 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I've only got 3 albums, so I have a long way to go. Going after only OG presses/old represses would be crazy hard. Thankfully the modern represses sound really good. I wish I could break down and get the last boxset for Gouster. Hopefully this annoying dizziness that started today goes away, since I have like $50 to the local record store and I can grab some stuff. Need to work on my Cure collection too.

My incoming list is getting big again, when I had it down to one record a few days ago.

Angel Olsen - My Woman
Circa Survive - On Letting Go (Transparent Orange And Opaque White)
Circa Survive - Juturna (Orange/White Haze)
Japandroids - Near To The Wild Heart Of Life 01/27/17
Japanese Breakfast - Polyvinyl 4-Track Series Volume 3 7"
Moneen - he Theory Of Harmonial Value (Deluxe 2LP) - 2x12" Metallic Gold / Black Swirl Vinyl
Nothing - Downward Years to Come (V3.0) (Red /400) + 7" Flexi
Owen - Polyvinyl 4-Track Series Volume 3 7"
Sorority Noise - You're Not As _____ As You Think (Light Blue / White / Orange Tri-Color /500) 03/17/17

7 incoming, but tons of comics...

42 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

Need to work on my Cure collection too.

I have almost all The Cure LPs I'd want.  I do need a copy of Wish still, but I'm trying to hold out for a reissue.   I don't really care for their last 2-3 releases, don't know if I'll bother getting those.

I have 30 incoming plus 18 in for the Gilead Media sub and 9 left in my Graveface sub... sigh.

I'm cutting down big time this year but have a few outstanding from last year and the only orders I've made this year was Planning For Burial (although I did go a bit ott and got all variants and a t-shirt) & a HANL cassette. Trying to buy a place which is tough cos I've been flying solo for two years and I have to start being more realistic with my spending so I've been talking myself out of purchases lately. There are  a handful of artists that I have a standing remit to pick up whatever they drop but I'm chiselling that list down as much as I can. Luckily some of those artists on the list are small time London scene bands who play for free and put out records for £10-£12. It's the American ones that really eviscerate the funds.

Edited by Stress On The Sky

45 minutes ago, Stress On The Sky said:

I'm cutting down big time this year but have a few outstanding from last year and the only orders I've made this year was Planning For Burial (although I did go a bit ott and got all variants and a t-shirt) & a HANL cassette. Trying to buy a place which is tough cos I've been flying solo for two years and I have to start being more realistic with my spending so I've been talking myself out of purchases lately. There are  a handful of artists that I have a standing remit to pick up whatever they drop but I'm chiselling that list down as much as I can. Luckily some of those artists on the list are small time London scene bands who play for free and put out records for £10-£12. It's the American ones that really eviscerate the funds.

I really need to exercise some self restraint too, but I really don't spend money on anything else so WTH?

5 minutes ago, Thomas³ said:

I really need to exercise some self restraint too, but I really don't spend money on anything else so WTH?

That's where I land a lot of the time too.  I can pay my bills and I'm doing an ok job of saving money, so I don't think I'm really being irresponsible.  I guess I also don't really know what else I would be buying either.  What do you non-record collectors spend their money on?

12 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

That's where I land a lot of the time too.  I can pay my bills and I'm doing an ok job of saving money, so I don't think I'm really being irresponsible.  I guess I also don't really know what else I would be buying either.  What do you non-record collectors spend their money on?

Haha, right?

I feel the same way where we're doing well enough. We put money away each month for savings, the wife and I both have 401ks that we contribute to, pay our mortgage, and we don't let our spending put us in a bad position. Granted...I did just cancel my Alk3 - Good Mourning purchase because I went a little wild buying comics last night and didn't realize our car insurance was coming due.

I think Ry gets a little frustrated sometimes because I spend more money on stuff than she does, but I keep telling her to find a hobby she enjoys, or collect something like I do. But she really can't get too frustrated because like I said, I limit myself to things we can afford after putting our savings away each week and leave money for her to spend too. She gets really paranoid about money.

16 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

Yeah, I'm saving around $500/month, which I think is really good. No clue, most my friends live paycheck to paycheck so they are bad examples.

7 minutes ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

Granted...I did just cancel my Alk3 - Good Mourning purchase because I went a little wild buying comics last night and didn't realize our car insurance was coming due.

What did you end up ordering!?  I'm a little backed up in trades right now, so I'm trying not to order anymore until i'm caught up.

6 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

What did you end up ordering!?  I'm a little backed up in trades right now, so I'm trying not to order anymore until i'm caught up.

::sharp inhaaaaaale...::

You got me thinking about Hellboy stuff again and how I was almost done with the stuff I had on hand, so I ordered:

Hellboy: The Midnight Circus

Hellboy in Mexico

Frankenstein Underground

Abe Sapien: The Drowning

Abe Sapien: The Devil Does Not Jest and Other Stories

BPRD: Being Human

BPRD: Plague of Frogs omnibus vol 4.

BUT. For less than $75 shipped it seemed like a real steal, especially since Plague of frogs has 3 tpb volumes in it.

Also, I'm just ready for that new Saga tpb to come out!! I love that story and I almost wish I'd found it later in its run. I still got to binge the first...what, 4, 5? I need it quicker than it comes out!

I'm done spending on things that aren't needs until the end of the month though. I'm keeping in mind that I'll be buying another bottle of whiskey at the end of the month. I'm going a little out of order if the bottle I'm looking at is still available, since there is only one bottle of Yamazaki 12 year within ten miles of my zip code.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

The next trade I buy will be a Hellboy one :)  I have Saga on my pull list, so I stay caught up on that.  Not the most cost effective way to read comics, but I really like the weekly routine of picking up my books.  Definitely look forward it!

I really like Yamazaki!  That's a very good pick.

6 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

The next trade I buy will be a Hellboy one :)  I have Saga on my pull list, so I stay caught up on that.  Not the most cost effective way to read comics, but I really like the weekly routine of picking up my books.  Definitely look forward it!

Thanks! The Yamazaki will finish off my Japanese whiskeys for the 12 months, and then I just have a final rye and a final scotch to pick up :)

I wish I could make myself read individual comics again. I just can't do it! Too spendy.

50 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I also think that you're really going to enjoy going deeper into the Hellboy universe. I really dig Hellboy, but I think I actually enjoy most of the supporting books even more!

Hellboy often feels very "episodic" to me, and the other books really flesh everything out more.

Edited by The Ghost of Randy Savage

1 hour ago, The Ghost of Randy Savage said:

I also think that you're really going to enjoy going deeper into the Hellboy universe. I really dig Hellboy, but I think I actually enjoy most of the supporting books even more!

Hellboy often feels very "episodic" to me, and the other books really flesh everything out more.

I'm really looking forward to it!  Looks like it's about the same price for me to get a new copy of Conqueror Worm off Bullmoose as it is to get it used off Amazon, so I added it to my cart.  I'll buy it once I get enough crap in the cart for free shipping :)

11 minutes ago, jonrawks said:

I'm really looking forward to it!  Looks like it's about the same price for me to get a new copy of Conqueror Worm off Bullmoose as it is to get it used off Amazon, so I added it to my cart.  I'll buy it once I get enough crap in the cart for free shipping :)

nice!

If you're ever thinking about putting in a decently large order instocktrades is a good spot to pick some stuff up too. I figure you probably know about them though!

• Shitty Rambo changed the title to Small Talk Revival Thread
  • jhulud locked this topic