The Mondo Records Thread - You think limited? Will sell fast?

I've experienced this as well. The issue can be solved by logging into you account ahead of time.

I've actually had great success scoring on my phone in the past. I'd say at least half of the drops I've participated in have been via the ol' iPhone

Yeah, my phone really hasn't been a deterrent to landing drops.  I did have one issue recently with Whalen's Frozen drop but I was down in an area that only had 3G service and the pages stalled out on me.  That said, Whalen's Frozen drop was about 1000% tougher to land than yesterday's JP Amber.

Moral of the story is, doesn't matter where you are or what you're doing, if you can at least get to your phone, don't be discouraged in trying to land a Mondo drop.

8 minutes 

Holy crap. How many were pressed?

Just discovered that the guys in my office are rolling the variant dice HARD. I've ordered two of A, one of my colleagues has ordered one and another of my colleagues ordered one but has just this minute ordered another two.

Hopefully one of us gets a variant. Hopefully it's me :3

I don't think so.

So then, if the Discogs pressing numbers are accurate, it's pretty close to the run size of Jurassic Park.  5,500 for Drive, 6,000 for JP.  I'm actually a bit surprised (if the run numbers are true) now that Drive did so well considering Invada pressed a ton of copies almost a year before Mondo got around to getting theirs out.  It's an incredible soundtrack, I just didn't see the demand coming for a relatively obscure (compared to something like JP) cult film.

I know this will get a lot of hate, but I seriously can't picture someone sitting down and listening to this without laughing.

I think you'll just get a lot of "Huh?"s because what you said doesn't really make any sense. Why's this any different than any other OST? Or do you feel that way about all OSTs?

I think you'll just get a lot of "Huh?"s because what you said doesn't really make any sense. Why's this any different than any other OST? Or do you feel that way about all OSTs?

Nah, I guess I just didn't think the soundtrack to the movie was like, deeply moving or anything like that. It's like, I love the X-Files theme and the score of the show and I would recognize it anywhere, but I couldn't imagine someone sitting in their room just listening to it, it's just funny to me.

So then, if the Discogs pressing numbers are accurate, it's pretty close to the run size of Jurassic Park.  5,500 for Drive, 6,000 for JP.  I'm actually a bit surprised (if the run numbers are true) now that Drive did so well considering Invada pressed a ton of copies almost a year before Mondo got around to getting theirs out.  It's an incredible soundtrack, I just didn't see the demand coming for a relatively obscure (compared to something like JP) cult film.

Drive was incredibly popular film that had a lot going for it at the time. Neo-retro soundtrack vibe, a very popular Baby Goose in his first tough guy roll, Oscar buzz. It was a hit with all the kids. Mostly, though, they probably sold less than 3k online after a years's worth of very public hype at a time when they had only released 4 other records which were all in demand and when everyone was trained that everything Mondo sold out. If JP had only been version A, it would've sold out by now I'd wager.

The power of Stout, I guess.

Stout was a huge factor. Good point. Timbrh could correct me, but I remember both Stout Drive prints being insanely popular at the time.

I also think Version A might be selling slower because everyone is pissed they missed Version B.

Also this.

Nah, I guess I just didn't think the soundtrack to the movie was like, deeply moving or anything like that. It's like, I love the X-Files theme and the score of the show and I would recognize it anywhere, but I couldn't imagine someone sitting in their room just listening to it, it's just funny to me.

I tend to agree, especially with regard to this movie, though I suspect that it might be a generational thing. Like I have the scores for Empire Strikes Back and Temple of Doom in my collection, but I was 20 when JP came out, so I don't have that same adolescent nostalgic attachment to it. It's a good score, don't get me wrong, but I have zero desire to own it.

Drive was incredibly popular film that had a lot going for it at the time. Neo-retro soundtrack vibe, a very popular Baby Goose in his first tough guy roll, Oscar buzz. It was a hit with all the kids. Mostly, though, they probably sold less than 3k online after a years's worth of very public hype at a time when they had only released 4 other records which were all in demand and when everyone was trained that everything Mondo sold out. If JP had only been version A, it would've sold out by now I'd wager.

Stout was a huge factor. Good point. Timbrh could correct me, but I remember both Stout Drive prints being insanely popular at the time.

Also this.

Every single one of the Stout - Drive prints soldout at the Stout/Taylor Mondo event so none of them ever hit an online drop.  I got one through a trade from someone lucky enough to hit on Stout's lottery, though none of them fetch really outrageous prices on the aftermarket, even today.  I have the regular cityscape version and the pink color really pops in person.  It's also got kind of a 3D type layout going for it which kind of fucks with your eyes a little bit (in a great way of course).  A real beauty to look at.  I'm more than ashamed to say I still haven't gotten it framed yet but it's a print that will never leave my collection.

One of the biggest cliches floating around in poster collecting is "it looks much better in person" and I rarely every use it to describe something because I feel that saying gets used and abused amongst collectors.  Though I think if I had to pick 1 print in my collection that would accurately fit that cliche, it would be this one.