BUILT TO SPILL

Jared, have you been able to get your hands on a blue copy of Untethered Moon yet?

No, not yet. I've really been cutting back on buying records lately. I've seen a couple copies for sale for $100-$150, but that's a lot to spend just to have a record on blue vinyl. I'm hoping I'll eventually find one cheaper.

Seriously? Do you get the store's permission each time, or are you just a total dick?

I mostly only go to a handful of local shops who all know me by name and they're all fine with it. But I use a sharp credit card and leave the record, sleeve, and even shrinkwrap in PERFECT condition every time I check a record for its color.

It's pretty standard collector's stuff. Never seen anyone upset about it, including managers of record stores.

I mostly only go to a handful of local shops who all know me by name and they're all fine with it. But I use a sharp credit card and leave the record, sleeve, and even shrinkwrap in PERFECT condition every time I check a record for its color.

It's pretty standard collector's stuff. Never seen anyone upset about it, including managers of record stores.

1) How can you leave the shrink in perfect condition if you open it? That's by definition not perfect condition.

2) I bet not a single other person in this thread does shit like that, so it's clearly not "pretty standard collector stuff."

3) God damn, are you the most condescending little shit around here.

This is the dumbest Internet stuff I have read all week

This is the dumbest Internet stuff I have read all week

Seriously. In 12+ years of collecting I've never once been to a record store where they're like, "sure, go ahead and open all our sealed product, we don't give a fuck!"

If I tried that shit even at stores where my actual friends work, they'd get pissed because the owner would be mad at them for allowing that kind of garbage behavior.

54496869.jpg

So 40 records had to be resealed in new bags because most stores don't have a machine for that. Why would you think that's OK though, download cards can be stolen pretty easy that way and record collectors are pretty anal about mintness of a record and every manager knows that. 

It's not literally 40 records ya dingus, maybe 4 or 5 ever.

I don't know what kind of stores you guys are going to, but in my area you'll see literally dozens of records opened this way to check the color in every category, especially soundtracks. Hell, the main store I frequent has a special tool specifically to open and check record color. They encourage it, since they honor returns if you purchased the wrong variant - allowing customers to check first minimizes returns processed when someone realizes they didn't get what they thought they were buying. People frequently bring records to the counter to be opened so the color can be verified.

I've also seen Newbury Comics managers encourage it - they do their best to verify the color of every press on the sticker outside of the packaging, and if they can't, they'll often open the shrink wrap on the side, verify the color, and seal the record in an outer layer of plastic with a new sticker on it that details the color.

Y'all are thinkin I'm going around maiming product in secrecy. Plenty of vendors open and re-seal records to verify color, especially when colored presses can retail for higher prices.

It's not literally 40 records ya dingus, maybe 4 or 5 ever.

I don't know what kind of stores you guys are going to, but in my area you'll see literally dozens of records opened this way to check the color in every category, especially soundtracks. Hell, the main store I frequent has a special tool specifically to open and check record color. They encourage it, since they honor returns if you purchased the wrong variant - allowing customers to check first minimizes returns processed when someone realizes they didn't get what they thought they were buying. People frequently bring records to the counter to be opened so the color can be verified.

I've also seen Newbury Comics managers encourage it - they do their best to verify the color of every press on the sticker outside of the packaging, and if they can't, they'll often open the shrink wrap on the side, verify the color, and seal the record in an outer layer of plastic with a new sticker on it that details the color.

Y'all are thinkin I'm going around maiming product in secrecy. Plenty of vendors open and re-seal records to verify color, especially when colored presses can retail for higher prices.

Oh cool, so you're just an exaggerating asshole. I should have known.

You must go to some shit record stores if they let you return for no other reason than "this isn't what I expected."

Oh cool, so you're just an exaggerating asshole. I should have known.

You must go to some shit record stores if they let you return for no other reason than "this isn't what I expected."

Yeah, exaggerating for comedic purpose definitely automatically makes me an asshole. Why are you so sensitive about this? The way you're reacting it's like I opened a pair of your mum's knickers, not an LP at my local shop.

I'm always transparent with them and say "I'm looking for the ____ version but I don't know if it's labeled on the sticker or anything, is it alright if we check the color? They've never had a problem with it and they seal it back up afterwards and everyone moves on with their lives and somehow no one suffers the extreme levels of emotional pain that this seems to be causing you.

We had a buy it or you are banned policy on anyone who did this at the store I worked at. It's not standard collector's stuff, it's entitled asshole stuff you are devaluing something someone else wants to buy, why would they want to pay sticker price for an unsealed record?

If anyone ever insisted that I buy something to check the color I would gladly do so. But like I said, I'm explicitly asking them permission to do so in advance. If they don't allow it, I either purchase it or move on. I don't think that makes me an entitled asshole.

I hate to break this to you, but records can still be damaged whether or not they are sealed. There are plenty of reasons someone would want to open the product before buying or selling it (if a defect is known with the press, if there are two versions and no exterior way to tell, if a shipment sat in a hot truck and warped, etc) - you've probably purchased such records without even realizing it. It's extremely easy to re-seal them. Pretty much anything you buy that comes in one of those slightly thicker plastic sleeves that opens with the sticky stuff on the top has already been opened and resealed.

Are you guys seriously trying to tell me you've never seen records opened on the side when browsing through LPs? I have a really fucking hard time believing that.

I've seen it and I fucking can't stand it, and I can tell when it's resealed, I worked in record stores for years and your average record store can not afford a factory quality shrinking machine, it usually is very obvious when it's done at least to me. But I rarely see stores try to pull it around here

Now I wish I'd ordered the cream reissue, despite having an original. Maybe a local shop will have it in stock on release day.

It just happened to sell out the day they started shipping so I wouldn't be surprised if they sent the rest of the copies to retail or indie stores. Call around! I'm sure you could find one.

It just happened to sell out the day they started shipping so I wouldn't be surprised if they sent the rest of the copies to retail or indie stores. Call around! I'm sure you could find one.

I'll keep an eye on their social posts next week, and give them a call if I feel like spending some money.

Have any of you guys heard of Franky Flowers? My friend sent me a link to this song yesterday and I totally thought it was Built to Spill for a minute.

Yeah this could pretty much pass for an unreleased or B-side Built to Spill song. While not original, I'm interested enough to check out more.

I'll keep an eye on their social posts next week, and give them a call if I feel like spending some money. Probably a good chance being in Seattle.

Have any of you guys heard of Franky Flowers? My friend sent me a link to this song yesterday and I totally thought it was Built to Spill for a minute.

Yeah this could pretty much pass for an unreleased or B-side Built to Spill song. While not original, I'm interested enough to check out more.