Best/Worst Kickstarter Experiences

piaptk

I'm generally not a big Kickstarter fan but I've participated in a few.

I thought the Face to Face one was very well done. Frequent updates, the vinyl was pressed timely, etc. I obsessively collect their vinyl, so kind of had to do that one. I hope they don't do another for the new album, though.

I never got my test press from the Indian School kickstarter. They used to update us but they stopped. Whenever I make a comment to them, they claim they're still working on it with the label. The album is already out so I assumed the tests were in hand. They're probably pressing up extras just for the kickstarter or something. So hopefully it works out.

The one thing that kind of turned me off with the Indian School "we need a van" kickstarter was that they were nowhere near getting the project funded, all the way up to the end. But then it was magically funded at the last second by one final contributor. Which leads me to believe they got what they could out of the fans first before using their own money. Maybe I'm out of line, or just naive, but I didn't care for that.

Read my note above. They are happy to take your money, keep their cut, take no responsibility yet they will throw a party that must have cost at minimum $50,000 at Sundance. People have every right to call Kickstarter total bullshit in my opinion. You know who loved taking money from consumers, deliver massive losses yet still throw lavish parties? Wall Street Brokers. I see no difference in this behavior and Kickstarter needs to change their policy if they are going to toss money around like this. Is $50k a ton of money? Not really for them. Is $50 a ton of money? Might have been to the college kid who supported an artist who didn't deliver with no obligation. 

I don't think this is an entirely fair comparison. The brokers were responsible for delivering massive losses, if not directly they are at least complicit. Kickstarter isn't really responsible for much. They don't handle fulfillment, they just provide a funding mechanism. A bad experience with Kickstarter is if the website doesn't work, or gets hacked and someone gets your info. 

In my mind, anything else is a bad experience with a third party who used Kickstarter to facilitate a transaction. I do generally agree that they could play a more active role in curating projects, thought that really isn't in there best (financial) interest. Are you wishing they would be better at policing or holding accountable people who use the service? 

The one thing that kind of turned me off with the Indian School "we need a van" kickstarter was that they were nowhere near getting the project funded, all the way up to the end. But then it was magically funded at the last second by one final contributor. Which leads me to believe they got what they could out of the fans first before using their own money. Maybe I'm out of line, or just naive, but I didn't care for that.

I think this happens more often than you think. I've seen this happen to another project or two. I think a friend or family member fronts the money and they pay them back so they meet the Kickstarter goal and receive the funds they otherwise would not have gotten if the project failed.

I've only done a few and it's been mostly positive. 

Matt Pryor's went without a hitch, and the of Montreal one seems to be going well with regular updates being provided (I was surprised to see they already approved tests for the LP portion).

The only one that's had a snag is Via Audio's album. It's all finished but they've yet to find a label to work with. My friend is actually fairly close to them and they sent him the finished product (digitally). That is the only thing that irks me, if it's done, why not share it with those who pledged for physical versions? Otherwise they've sent plenty of other digital goodies like outtakes & stuff but the album itself is taking forever.

I never got my test press from the Indian School kickstarter. They used to update us but they stopped. Whenever I make a comment to them, they claim they're still working on it with the label. The album is already out so I assumed the tests were in hand. They're probably pressing up extras just for the kickstarter or something. So hopefully it works out.

I was also wondering where my Indian School test press was, so I tweeted the band and the label. The label head is a friend of mine and sent me this email regarding them:

Here's the big ol scoop on the Indian School tests 

-When they first got made the plant only gave me 4 tests since halfway through the stampers broke. 

-New stampers get made and they finish out copies for their record release shows. 

-White copies and the remaining red copies are finished a couple weeks after, still no sign of extra tests or gold copies. 

-Gold copies get done, stampers are broken once more

-Stampers get sent to me instead of the plant

-Go back to plant to drop off stampers and ask for more tests

Finally, test presses are done with the new plates and were sent to me yesterday so I should finally have them within the next day or so. 

I was also wondering where my Indian School test press was, so I tweeted the band and the label. The label head is a friend of mine and sent me this email regarding them:

I did just the Indian School T-shirt and still have yet to receive that too.  I messaged them and they said it was coming but they had delays, but that was about a month ago.

http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/332700

Jonny Craig, this will probably go down terribly.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/forever-dangerous/forever-dangerous-honoring-the-legacy-of-michael-j

Here is one for a Michael Jackson tribute tour. They were out at a bar in Denver trying to get support. Probably won't get funded.

I agree with this. The Kickstarter platform is meant to serve tangible consumables - crowdsourcing the funding to make your gadget a reality. By the time you hit Kickstarter you should be done with your concepts and testing phases and you should be ready to place your order with the factory that's making your product.

Crowdsourcing the idea of an album that fans have no idea if they'll even like when it's finished is just lazy. Go work some extra hours, play some more shows, refine your craft. Don't expect handouts from people based on the mere idea that you're going to put music to tape.

Thats exactly what Im doing with my future kickstarter. Im currently in the process of waiting on my prototype to be completed. Especially in the field of manufacturing, shit takes time. Its pretty crazy to think that in this day and age, what should be a simple process could take this long. I came up with my idea about 3 weeks ago and am glad I didnt rush the kickstarter process because there are a million ideas that have popped up since that would have completely changed my strategy.

I don't think this is an entirely fair comparison. The brokers were responsible for delivering massive losses, if not directly they are at least complicit. Kickstarter isn't really responsible for much. They don't handle fulfillment, they just provide a funding mechanism. A bad experience with Kickstarter is if the website doesn't work, or gets hacked and someone gets your info. 

In my mind, anything else is a bad experience with a third party who used Kickstarter to facilitate a transaction. I do generally agree that they could play a more active role in curating projects, thought that really isn't in there best (financial) interest. Are you wishing they would be better at policing or holding accountable people who use the service? 

I stand by it. Actually, I had a fraudulent charge on my card this weekend and Chase refunded me the money no questions asked. 

It is way too convenient to have allowed anyone to post a project, get a cut and then say you're sorry when it fails. Of course it is in their interest to allow as many projects as possible onto their platform - that's how they make money. They bred a Wild West attitude that has lead to a ton of fraud and failure. This isn't a gambling site, its a funding site. If the team behind the project isn't first vetted and their plan practical then it shouldn't be offered to a broad audience. Let them hit their family up to make that role playing game or whatever. If you are creating the environment where money is changing hands then you need to have some responsibility for protecting the people who've built your company. Staring at the projects I've put anywhere between 25-100 dollars towards I am appalled at how few have delivered. 

Seriously, as a professional in my field, when I accept money from a funder the obligations I have to deliver range between 30-60 pages long. When I apply for money from Foundations I am judged freshly each and every time. Kickstarter does nothing to ensure a project is viable or going to deliver yet they will take a cut and put their ever-growing logo all over the place as if it means anything. 

• 8 months later...

I am so done with this Kickstarter thing. I have supported three bands make new records and one band by a new van.  I feel like that if you are going to support bands do this there should be some incentive for you beyond what everyone else can get and I just don't feel that to be the case. Yes I know bands have handwritten lyrics and rewards like that for rewards but you pay handsomely for them with your pledges usually. I will say that I have one really good experience with Kickstarter and that was Kevin Devine. Everything he has done has been first class and he has been totally transparent. Typhoon did a pretty good job as well but the other two I have had been total crap really. I know more people are starting to hate this way of funding too. Thoughts?

Reading through this thread prompted me to look back over the music-related Kickstarters I backed over the last few years.

As others mentioned, Black Moth Super Rainbow's campaign for "Cobra Juicy" was THE BEST. Updates were frequent, bonus items were plenty and (the biggest rarity of all with Kickstarter) everything shipped in a timely fashion. Oh yeah, and the album ruled too.

John Vanderslice's "Dagger Beach" fundraiser was equally rad. JV was super involved from start to finish, incredibly gracious/grateful at the amount of support he received, and he offered some neat rewards. I'm now the proud owner of a hand-made box set containing personalized copies of every John Vanderslice LP and they'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Won't keep dogging on Asbestos Records' ska reissue project because it's well documented that took a loooooong time to deliver. Actually the reason I found VC was when I went searching for info on this because of a lack of updates on Kickstarter. But they did deliver a quality product in the end.

I'll reserve judgment on Reggie and the Full Effect's campaign until I get my stuff. I know people are bummed because the KS vinyl variant ended up being the least limited of the lot, and while personally I don't care what color vinyl my music is on, it seems uncool to do that to the people who do care and who helped fund the making of the record.

And lastly...

John Darnielle of the Mountain Goats is my hero. There was a comic book Kickstarter run by an acquaintance of his, and he offered to draw sketches of five $100 backers as monsters. I love TMGs/JD a whole lot, so I bit even though I didn't really care about the comic book. Just wanted something unique and personal from him. Long story short, the lady behind the Kickstarter vanished with everyone's money. It's been over a year since the stuff was supposed to be delivered, and even though she's still updating her blog/Twitter/website, she refuses to get on KS to explain herself or answer any KS-related questions. So, I message JD on Twitter and ask if he knows anything, or if I'm just shit out of luck (and $100). He messages me back saying he got the 5 people's addresses and is going to do the sketches and send them out on his own, along with some rare TMGs swag for the inconvenience.

But yeah I don't use Kickstarter anymore.

I pledged some money to the of Montreal Song Dynasties Kickstarter and so far so good... I got one thing I paid for (limited early recordings on green wax, made to order). I'm starting to get a tad impatient though. I'm sure they won't fuck anyone over, they're real good people. Kevin is probably one of the most down to earth people ever... but the documentary was supposed to be RELEASED this past spring and they aren't even done editing it all together as of now. I just hope it's worth the wait.

Seeing as the last few kickstarters I've kept an eye on either had vinyl available for way less later on or has yet to deliver i will most likely pass from now on. An annoying trend I hope goes away.

The two I have had the biggest problem was David Bazan which was actually funded through his website and Five Iron Frenzy. Bazan pissed me off because when they were selling the package you got an exclusive shirt saying I helped Bazan make a record and what dd they do after the fact. They put the shirts up for sale on his webstore to make a quick buck, Just thought is was shitty. Five Iron Frenzy for the amount they raised has been just horrible. They sent the kickstarters their  new song after they had already put it on Youtube and Facebook after almost two years meanwhile they are jetsetting to every show these days. Vinyl is going on sale tonight for presumably a lot less than the $50 dollars I paid for it. No exclusive Kickstarter variant or anything. Next time I will just wait for the preorder.