What's your latest purchase?

Debating grabbing some of these cables, since they appear to pretty much the same as blue jeans. Should I avoid being cheap, and spend the extra cash on blue jeans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191529113983?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Isn't Belden a parent company of BJC?

Belden is a company that makes all sorts of cable, industrial, domestic and pretty much everything in between. They are the industry standard for a lot of signal cables in all sorts of industries. You quite often see cables quoted as Belden (part number) equivalents. So I expect a hell of a lot of HiFI cables are Belden based or Belden equivalent based.

BJC says straight-up that they use Belden cables (among others).  Their own BJC branded cables (BJC Ten White or BJC Twelve White) are just the Belden cables with custom white jackets.

from their website:

Belden 5000 series Cable:

beldengray.jpg

Our favorite speaker cable is the Belden 5000 series; we carry two offerings, the 10-gauge 5T00UP and the 12-gauge 5000UE (note: with wire gauges, the smaller the number, the larger the wire is). Belden's standard version of these cables is available only in a gray jacket, with white and black inner conductors; however, we've had Belden build us a slightly modified version of each, with a white outer jacket (less conspicuous in many installations) and red and black inner conductors, which we call "Ten White" and "Twelve White". Both the 10-gauge and 12-gauge versions consist of two separately insulated conductors, twisted together and wrapped in an outer PVC sleeve; the gray version of the 10-gauge 5T00UP is shown at right. Whether in white or gray, or 10 or 12 AWG, all of these cables are UL-listed and NEC-rated for in-wall use (the NEC rating for 5000UE and Twelve White is CL3R; for 5T00UP it's CL3, and for Ten White, it's CL2).

It's nice to see a company that doesn't make up pretentious crap about it and admit to what their basis is. Belden make some very nice cable which is why their part numbers are standards in a lot of industries, so if you ever fancy trying to make your own just have a look through the Belden catalogue. We use quite a lot of small signal Belden cable for different things at work so off cuts occasionally come home with me to make cables, problem is we don't use a lot of the sort of cable that looks the part for hifi use but looks aren't everything.

Also I picked up four 100M reels of custom made 4 core Belden cable years ago so I never need to by another speaker cable ever, it's only downside is that the outer sheaf is lime green so it's not exactly conspicuous but for £5 a 100M reel I have no problem going colour blind.

I thought I was done (for now), but another item from my short list showed up for a good price...

IMG_2666.jpg

Croft RIAA Tube Phono Pre.

The difference between this and the onboard pre from the Sphinx V2 is not subtle. Very pleased.

Cool. Can you elaborate on "not subtle"? I'm using the pre in my amp as well and keep going back and forth on whether to upgrade to something else. Are there some specific sound characteristics that are improved?

Subs are a headache to match in 2 channel. So far I do like the Emotiva, but I remembered why I hate subs. My SF 1.5s really need help so the lower end. Finding the sweet spot of volume, phase, and crossover (Currently running 70hz), is a mess.

But its nice to hear lower end.

I agree, tuning it in is a toughy. Lots of tiny adjustments to the Xover and gain.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, shaizada said:

Just got a Kuzma 4 Point tonearm and the VTA Tower to mount it securely:

IMG_4921.jpg

The arm pod holding the tower...it is HEAVY!!!

IMG_3613Large.jpg

Now I'm very very jealous. I love Kuzma arms, I had a Stogi Mk2 on a Voyd Valdi 10 or so years ago and like an idiot sold it, They produce a consistently superb product.

31 minutes ago, Issei Hyoudou said:

Cool setup but heads up you probably want to move the speakers up onto the wall or something because same surface as a TT is a nono.

Yea I planned on it.  Thinking about where to put them, I was surprised how long the speaker cable included with it was.  Thanks though ;-)

58 minutes ago, ajxd said:

After selling my VPI when I was a starving grad student, I could not make myself purchase a new VPI or other RCM over $500. Nope

Bought the 3D Printed one from the Canadian. Should be in this week.

MusicDirect has been carrying the Okki Nokki for a while.  I think it's right around $500.