Transit - Young New England

Just experimented with this album on the drive home, it is very bass intensive....like Beats by Dre may be recommended for listening.

But it has way more musical depth than laptop speakers and cheap earbuds. Pretty crazy how the difference is night and day, really makes the songs pop.

I actually really enjoy the album musically, I just was let down with vocals/lyrics

"Nothing Lasts Forever" is still a track that is fun to mock but it is now a guilty pleasure for me along the lines of Taylor Swift or Katy Perry coming on the radio.  "Young New England" is definitely my least favorite track on the album right now but also has some guilty pleasure potential with that weird intro and chorus.

Edit: What I'm saying is yes, I do sing to Taylor Swift or Katy Perry on the radio...

"Weathered Souls" is my favorite track and they should have released that as their first single :(  "Nothing Lasts Forever" already had people hating the album before it came out. For me, it definitely lowered my expectations but I tried to be objective when giving the whole album a listen. The rest of the album seems to have some potential but nothing really stood out after listening twice. So I'll probably listen to it in entirety a few more times and pick out a few more favorites or just listen to "Weathered Souls" and forget the rest. 

What are the favorite tracks from the VC community?

I probably like this album more than most. I do agree that it isn't as strong lyrically. Not sure why people don't like the vocals or the overall production. I think both of those aspects sound just fine. I think this album is a very natural progression from Listen & Forgive and still has a fair amount of elements from that album. I also agree with what someone said before about some parts reminding them of Third Eye Blind, which I like. I do like the title track after listening probably 4 or 5 times. I think its a fun anthem for getting drunk in Boston and nothing more. Just need to take it for what it is. My only real critique of it is that I think it would be better if they started with that sweet guitar riff after the spoken chorus and then rather than speaking that chorus I think it would have been better if they really belted it out singing it together. The speaking part is weird at first, but I've grown to accept it and even like it.

Standout tracks for me so far after about three full listens are Second to Right, Sleep, So Long So Long, Weathered Souls, Summer ME, Hazy, and Bright Lights, Dark Shadows.

I like all the songs really. Unlike Tommy Nassiff I'd give this album a solid 6.5 or 7. Definitely above average. I would say it's definitely in my bottom half of Transit albums if I were to rank them. But like Tommy said in his review regarding Brand new's Daisy, I love that album but it might be my least favorite Brand New album. Definitely bottom 2. But that by no means implies that it's a bad album. I just consider Brand New's albums to be so close together in greatness that it's almost impossible for me to rank them. I find it to be the same situation with this album and Transit in general. That's just my opinion.

Just experimented with this album on the drive home, it is very bass intensive....like Beats by Dre may be recommended for listening.

But it has way more musical depth than laptop speakers and cheap earbuds. Pretty crazy how the difference is night and day, really makes the songs pop.

I completely agree, also, I feel like the entire A side is fantastic but the B side is a little weak. Its not as good as L&F but I love that they still have the same sound. The music sounds amazing and I think this band has really developed their own style...

Also, the music really makes me feel like I am in New England. I wish they would have released this in the fall because I get the feeling that I will be listening to this a lot when the leaves start to change. 

I probably like this album more than most. I do agree that it isn't as strong lyrically. Not sure why people don't like the vocals or the overall production. I think both of those aspects sound just fine. I think this album is a very natural progression from Listen & Forgive and still has a fair amount of elements from that album. I also agree with what someone said before about some parts reminding them of Third Eye Blind, which I like. I do like the title track after listening probably 4 or 5 times. I think its a fun anthem for getting drunk in Boston and nothing more. Just need to take it for what it is. My only real critique of it is that I think it would be better if they started with that sweet guitar riff after the spoken chorus and then rather than speaking that chorus I think it would have been better if they really belted it out singing it together. The speaking part is weird at first, but I've grown to accept it and even like it.

Standout tracks for me so far after about three full listens are Second to Right, Sleep, So Long So Long, Weathered Souls, Summer ME, Hazy, and Bright Lights, Dark Shadows.

I like all the songs really. Unlike Tommy Nassiff I'd give this album a solid 6.5 or 7. Definitely above average. I would say it's definitely in my bottom half of Transit albums if I were to rank them. But like Tommy said in his review regarding Brand new's Daisy, I love that album but it might be my least favorite Brand New album. Definitely bottom 2. But that by no means implies that it's a bad album. I just consider Brand New's albums to be so close together in greatness that it's almost impossible for me to rank them. I find it to be the same situation with this album and Transit in general. That's just my opinion.

6.5-7 is exactly where this album belongs. Good and decent. nothing groundbreaking but enjoyable if you did not get bogged down by hype. For what its worth the album has its faults and is not as good as L&F but still worth a good few spins.

I'll check out those standout tracks again but that's like most of the album no? Weathered Souls does rule!

After my first listen, I was pretty skeptical of the record, but it has grown on me after only a couple listens, and I'm pretty excited to receive my Transit record!  I haven't kept up with this thread TOO much, but when I ordered my record, it apparently came with a limited cover or something... does anyone know what the number on that cover was?

I really enjoy "Lake Q" and how it sounds like a genuine Temper Trap rip off of "Sweet Disposition"

just like how Look Mexico's "Arrest? I Don't Feel....." chorus sounds just like Katy Perry's "Waking Up in Vegas"

Lawlz galore, I agree that 6-7 is a perfect rating for this though. The song lyrics are lack luster and covered by rhymatic "ooooohhhs and ahhhhsss" where as the musical talent is pretty legit but seems like it is quickly covered with rips from other tracks. Where it lacks originality it manages to however very catchy, I'm in no hurry to get my order from MN (ordered w/ new MOB) but curious to see how the actual record sounds when not bumped through my neighbor's stereo with extreme dubstep bass lol

Rancid is to punk

as...

Transit will be to easycore/poop punx

They necessarily do nothing for the scene but will make $$ for association lol

After my first listen, I was pretty skeptical of the record, but it has grown on me after only a couple listens, and I'm pretty excited to receive my Transit record! I haven't kept up with this thread TOO much, but when I ordered my record, it apparently came with a limited cover or something... does anyone know what the number on that cover was?

I posted pics of it a page back. Its out of 350

I'll check out those standout tracks again but that's like most of the album no? Weathered Souls does rule!

Yes, just over half of the album. 7 of its 13 tracks. That's why I gave it the rating I did. If I only liked half of the songs I'd have given it a 5, but since I also enjoy the songs that I don't consider "standouts", I give it a about a 7. Weathered Souls does indeed rule!

First listen was on my laptop speakers and I was very eh about the sound. Tried it in the car today and I agree 100% with what you said.

I do think that this album has some good tracks, but I still feel like Young New England is sort of a dumb track. I can get behind the music, but overall it doesn't have the finesse that their early stuff had. I never felt the urge to hit the "skip" button with any Transit release before.

Yeah, we're all acting like they're still some local Boston band. These guys have a serious record deal! On Rise! Be real... if Blink released an album 10x better than this, everyone would say it sucks. We're treating this thread like we're scared to hurt our friend's band's feelings--"they tried real hard, though!" or "man, idk, I guess they just went in a different direction" or "it's not groundbreaking or a masterpiece, but it's a decent record."

Did we really have bottom of the barrel expectations for this? Nassiff on AP.net sure didn't. He thought this was gonna blow minds just like I did. L&F was such a huge leap from their old stuff, I couldn't even imagine the leap they'd take on the next one! Well, nope. If we care about where Transit goes in the future, be real... (not mean), but be real.

Yeah, we're all acting like they're still some local Boston band. These guys have a serious record deal! On Rise! Be real... if Blink released an album 10x better than this, everyone would say it sucks. We're treating this thread like we're scared to hurt our friend's band's feelings--"they tried real hard, though!" or "man, idk, I guess they just went in a different direction" or "it's not groundbreaking or a masterpiece, but it's a decent record."

Did we really have bottom of the barrel expectations for this? Nassiff on AP.net sure didn't. He thought this was gonna blow minds just like I did. L&F was such a huge leap from their old stuff, I couldn't even imagine the leap they'd take on the next one! Well, nope. If we care about where Transit goes in the future, be real... (not mean), but be real.

You're an idiot. Did you even bother to read my earlier quote? That is the one that you should be quoting me on. 

This album is crap. Few great songs, but the rest of it sounds off. Lyrics are just so stupid. I love transit, and i tried to love this album, but it doesn't deserve love. It must die alone.

Sounds like you need to Listen and Forgive.

But for real they should have kept this to themselves. And even through all the hate they can know that this will not define them.

Sound like you need to Listen and Forgive.

But for real they should have kept this to themselves. And even through all the hate they can know that this will not define them.

I did plenty of listening but not even god could forgive this album...

But in all honestly this album is bad. 

You're an idiot. Did you even bother to read my earlier quote? That is the one that you should be quoting me on. 

haha no I was just using yours as a segue! not really commenting for or against what you said. sorry if it seemed like that. I almost always will quote someone when I post in order to encourage the conversation instead of a bunch of one-off monologue opinions haha

After hearing the first two singles on this record I was really hoping that those were my least favorite songs on the record.  After a couple of listens I think those might be my favorite tracks.  Maybe I was expecting too much, maybe the rest will grow on me.  Initial reaction to the record was just "eh". Listen & Forgive was a really strong release and I was hoping that YNE would be even better.  Also, Misser's release was great which got me even more excited to hear more of what Tim had written.  However, I was disappointed. I really wanted to like this record, but couldn't get into it.  Will probably revisit in a week and try it again. But until then, oh well.  I thought that Nassiff brought up a really good point near the end of his review

The bad part is that Transit very much has to compete with itself here -
with fastly approaching side releases by both guitarist Tim Landers and
lead vocalist Joe Boynton, the obvious questions have to be asked. Did
we get this band’s A-game on this release? Will Misser’s rising
popularity spell the end of Transit? There’s something to be noticed
when campaigning for a Misser EP begins right before a Transit record
comes out. I hope not - but the Boston boys haven’t given themselves
much to work with.

What do you guys think? Will Transit soon cease to exist and members move on with their seemingly successful side projects?

After hearing the first two singles on this record I was really hoping that those were my least favorite songs on the record.  After a couple of listens I think those might be my favorite tracks.  Maybe I was expecting too much, maybe the rest will grow on me.  Initial reaction to the record was just "eh". Listen & Forgive was a really strong release and I was hoping that YNE would be even better.  Also, Misser's release was great which got me even more excited to hear more of what Tim had written.  However, I was disappointed. I really wanted to like this record, but couldn't get into it.  Will probably revisit in a week and try it again. But until then, oh well.  I thought that Nassiff brought up a really good point near the end of his review

What do you guys think? Will Transit soon cease to exist and members move on with their seemingly successful side projects?

I've been feeling that way about Transit ever since the tour for Misser was during the promotional period for YNE and now that YNE is out they already announced and started promoting the Misser EP. It's just weird.

It seems a lot of people who hate this album were expecting it to be album of the year or whatever. If you go in expecting that the chances are you're always gonna be disappointed.

Did anyone else think there was guest vocalists on half the songs on first listen or was it just me? The albums growing on me after a few listens